+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lynche Season 9

Re: Michael Lynche Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3872763;
    The other thing that kinda bugs me about this guy is the "Justin Guarini Effect". As the weeks go by, he seems to become more and more fake, for lack of a better word. There's a smarminess there that I find unappealing (same said for JG, but about a million times more.) I like Big Mike a whole lot better when I don't feel like he's mugging. Maybe it's just me.
    I think you nailed it, CuckoosNest. There's just something about him that's been bugging me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think this is it. (And, yes, BrilloHead is a gazillion times smarmier than Big Mike...)

That said, if he had gone last night and Aaron and Tim "Fingernails on a Chalkboard" Urban had stayed, I would have been PO'd. He's got way too much talent to go out in 9th place.
    Most definitely. I see Big Mike finishing somewhere around 4th or 5th place.

FORT Fogey

In keeping with my general "conspiracy theory" mindset, I wonder if Ryan's statement at the beginning of the show that there would be a "shocker" was due to his fore-knowledge of the vote, the fact that the judges knew the vote, and that it had already been decided that the judges would save Mike. Was Mike's being at the bottom really a shock? If you read these threads, I'm not so sure. It didn't think he belonged in Bottom 3, but I wasn't surprised.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 04-08-2010 at 12:14 PM.

As the weeks go by, he seems to become more and more fake, for lack of a better word. There's a smarminess there that I find unappealing (same said for JG, but about a million times more.) I like Big Mike a whole lot better when I don't feel like he's mugging. Maybe it's just me.
    Agreed. I found it pretty telling that there was a lack of boo-hooing among the other eight (except for Crystal) - they haven't been shy about bringing out the waterworks for other doomed contestants. There must be something unlikeable about Mike, more than we see.

While I think he's a one note wonder and terribly boring, I don't think he should have gone last night. There are other, less talented contestants (Andrew!) that need to go before Mike. They wasted the save on him, regardless. He's not top 2 material.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3872874;
    Agreed. I found it pretty telling that there was a lack of boo-hooing among the other eight (except for Crystal) - they haven't been shy about bringing out the waterworks for other doomed contestants. There must be something unlikeable about Mike, more than we see.

While I think he's a one note wonder and terribly boring, I don't think he should have gone last night. There are other, less talented contestants (Andrew!) that need to go before Mike. They wasted the save on him, regardless. He's not top 2 material.
    I don't have him as top 2, that would be Crystal and Siobhan, but I do have him tied for 3rd with Lee and Casey. I definitely think they were right to use the save and if they wouldn't have used it for someone like Big Mike then they shouldn't have the save in the first place.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

The other thing that kinda bugs me about this guy is the "Justin Guarini Effect". As the weeks go by, he seems to become more and more fake, for lack of a better word. There's a smarminess there that I find unappealing (same said for JG, but about a million times more.) I like Big Mike a whole lot better when I don't feel like he's mugging. Maybe it's just me.
    Like many others here, I also agree with this. I liked Big Mike at the start, and was rooting for him to stay on the show, but now I want him gone. I do not like his attitude or the cheesiness he usually brings to the stage.

FORT Fogey

I am trying to figure out why Mike, who has never given an bad performance, dropped below Andrew, Katie, Tim and Aaron - all of whom had had serious performance issues.

From comments posted here it sounds like there is a likability issue. But that kind of thing is a slow leak. It doesn't explain a sudden precipitous fall.

This has all the marks of a sea change in a shared fanbase. It seems Lee has gained fans in the last couple of weeks and Casey had his best week ever. Could Michael be sharing a fanbase with Casey and Lee? What do you think?

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

His personsonality grates on my nerves. I find some of his actions to be arrogant. JMO Not to mention, I just don't think he has a good voice
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3873155;
    I am trying to figure out why Mike, who has never given an bad performance, dropped below Andrew, Katie, Tim and Aaron - all of whom had had serious performance issues.

From comments posted here it sounds like there is a likability issue. But that kind of thing is a slow leak. It doesn't explain a sudden precipitous fall.

This has all the marks of a sea change in a shared fanbase. It seems Lee has gained fans in the last couple of weeks and Casey had his best week ever. Could Michael be sharing a fanbase with Casey and Lee? What do you think?
    Possibly. And they arguably have a similar talent level, although it probably wouldn't surprise many for me to say I think Casey has a lot more talent than the other two. However, I think what may have happened with Big Mike is closer to what happened with Chris Daughtry and almost to Glambert. People start assuming a huge favorite is safe, and instead throw their votes for somebody else they think needs the votes. I've decided I'm not going to waste any of my votes trying to save a non-favorite. I'm only voting for the 2 I tune in for every week.

On a different note - I finally saw "The Blind Side" last night. Do people call Mike Lynche "Big Mike" because of the movie, or is he just "Big Mike" because he's big and he's Mike?

I think that Mike dropped in favor this week due to culmination of his grabbing everyone for past several weeks - didn't he also grab Ryan last week - and his overall attitude which comes across as pompous, arrogant and entitled.
    He needs to really start dialing it down because he does happen to be one of the better singers there and many of us can't get past his persona, it seems.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3873731;
    I think that Mike dropped in favor this week due to culmination of his grabbing everyone for past several weeks - didn't he also grab Ryan last week - and his overall attitude which comes across as pompous, arrogant and entitled.
    He needs to really start dialing it down because he does happen to be one of the better singers there and many of us can't get past his persona, it seems.
    I've been saying that since Hollywood. The overly aggressive physical contact is just wrong. I noticed it and was put off by it early....and it may have taken a while for MANY people to get tired of it

+ Reply to Thread