+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Lynche Season 9

Re: Michael Lynche Season 9

I don't get the sense that he has much of a personality. I also don't think he's all that good of a singer.
    Ruben came across to me like a big teddy bear. Mike doesn't.
    He comes across, to me at least, as arrogant. I can handle arrogance, but only if the performer has the talent. I'm just not feeling he has a whole lot of talent. Sorry.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3853368;
    I have not been a huge fan, but the "BIG" personality is starting to grate on me. I am surprised he still being alowed to pick people up and hug them since that could be considered assault if the person does not want it to happen. I remember Ellen telling him during the end of Hollywood week show "Don;t pick me up. I have a bad back."...AND HE STILL DID SO. That would have been the time to warn him about personal space. It is just not cute.
    I agree with you completely. Little things he's done shows me his size and strength makes him feel above the rest of us "little" people. If his personality showed some humilty, he could win a lot more votes over.

I agree with those who say he comes across as smug and/or arrogant. To me, he very much has a "Look at me, I'm so great!" attitude, and it's only getting worse (either that, or I'm just noticing it more).

The show itself has only made me dislike him more, the way they're propping up his average to poor performances and going overkill on his "story." Yes, he and his wife had a child. That's wonderful, and I'm happy everyone is doing well. Beyond that? What the heck does that have to do with this show? If it's supposed to make me like him, sorry, but that's totally irrelevant to this show. I feel the exact same way about all the people whom Idol pushes "storylines" for. Always have.

In short, I don't like his personality, and I find his singing to be severely lacking. He's one of my least favorites, and I look forward to whatever week he finally falls out of the judges' favor and gets Le Boot.

FORT Fogey

I just don't see any of that. He comes across as pretty jolly to me and I have heard that he is the nicest guy in interviews. In fact, a few bloggers have pointed out how nice and enjoyable he is. I see that too. I really don't see smug. I thought Casey was kind of smug. Is he supposed to act like Melinda Doolittle or Alex Lambert? Another thing I don't understand is all these people comparing him to Ruben Studdard. Yes, they are both large black men, but that is where the similarities end. They don't present themselves in the same way, they sing differently, and they are very different people. Why not compare him to David Cook or Adam Lambert?

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3854308;
    I just don't see any of that. He comes across as pretty jolly to me and I have heard that he is the nicest guy in interviews. In fact, a few bloggers have pointed out how nice and enjoyable he is. I see that too. I really don't see smug. I thought Casey was kind of smug. Is he supposed to act like Melinda Doolittle or Alex Lambert? Another thing I don't understand is all these people comparing him to Ruben Studdard. Yes, they are both large black men, but that is where the similarities end. They don't present themselves in the same way, they sing differently, and they are very different people. Why not compare him to David Cook or Adam Lambert?
    Just goes to show we all see things differently. IMO, he's not supposed to act like anyone else. I certainly don't expect that. I do expect some humility and not constant "Look at me!" behavior, however. Again, this is exacerbated for me by the judges' constant drooling over this guy for performances that are, in parts, downright horrid technically speaking.

That aside, in terms of the bolded part of your post-- From my perspective, of course no one is going to compare him to David or Adam. David's a rocker, and Adam... Well, Adam's some hybrid of 80s and Broadway, if you ask me (and I'm not a fan, so I'm probably not the best person to characterize his style of music). The three of those guys in the same sentence would never enter my mind.

Some of the comparisons to Ruben are likely due to the soul/r&b factor, although Mike has sung other styles as well. And there's the fact that the judges are hyping him much like they hyped Ruben, whom I personally thought was also very technically lacking on more than one occasion. He does remind me of Ruben in that way (the hype), even though I haven't mentioned Ruben prior to now. His race and size have nothing to do with it for me. I am beginning to think the show is thinking of Mike as the next Ruben. A lot of the comments, to me, are very reminiscent of ones made to/about Ruben. Odd cart to hitch their wagon to if that's true, considering Ruben was dumped by 19E awhile back.

FWIW, Mike also reminds me of Gokey. Overhyped and comes across as increasingly full of himself.
    Last edited by VAgirl79; 03-14-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3854308;
    I don't see it, either. All I see is a man with a beautiful voice who knows what he's doing.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I don't see the arrognace, but at the same time I also didn't see the greatness the judges got out of his last performance. He's just mid pack for me.

I love AI. I just never understand why if someone is confident in themselves it is seen as a bad thing. This season is full of singers and really own two who are confident enough to own the stage Michael and Crystal. What's wrong with that.

I see nothing Arrogant in Michael. I swear we expect good singers, however they get grief if they are too good or too confident and believe in themselves.

I mean the whole Idea of Idol imo is rooted in Arrogance. People will do anything to get on a show to prove they are the best, The American Idol. If that isn't arrogant then I don't know what is.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I don't see the arrogance either.

It seems like a no-win situation.

Either he's confident and gets called cocky

or

he's modest and gets called self-conscious.

Scott Sabol - now that man was arrogant. Don't get that vibe from Big Mike at all.

PS - Ms Diva . . . .I simply LOVE your new avatar.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

The problem is he just doesn't instill any excitement when he performs. He sings well compared to some of the others this season, but it's all bland and not at all what I would want to see in a winner.

+ Reply to Thread