+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Lee Dewyze Season 9

Re: Lee Dewyze Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    Some of those big name acts were either on toooo long or shouldn't have even been there.
    Beyonce had TWO performances. Why?
    JLo certainly wasted no time to "self-promote".
    And I am sick of alllllll the hype Lady Gagme gets. Once during the season is toooo much, IMO.
    I always say I would rather see ex-idol contestants perform on the show then some of the acts they have had on.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Lee should have performed if only because he was the current winner. They could have cut out Marc Anthony's stupid bit but I bet he was a package deal with JLo so that was a no go. Big name acts will never go away as long as this show is on air because they lend a higher profile and seeming cred to the show. Well, momentarily. Within the bubble of the broadcast and the show, Beyonce performing and Gaga performing creates the illusion that the Idols are peers with these people when in fact few of them, if any, will ever be in the same room working with them let alone interacting with them in any capacity, but that's the fantasy the show goes after. Ditto for celebs sitting in the audience or walking the red carpet. The finale is an easy gig for Gaga and Beyonce, while for Lee it would have been possibly his last hurrah in the biz. Oh, well, them's the breaks.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

I don't think it has anything to do with people thinking that the kids are "peers" with the current top acts. I can't imagine anybody thinking that. That someone from the show will reach that kind of stardom is a real potential ,the essence of the show, and why people watch.

However, celebs performing/ appearing on the Red Carpet and in the audience is a sign of the huge popularity of the show. Nobody would want those acts to "go away". Why would the viewing audience not want to see their favorite established acts on their favorite TV program? And why would the stars not want to be seen on a very popular show?

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with people thinking that the kids are "peers" with the current top acts. I can't imagine anybody thinking that. That someone from the show will reach that kind of stardom is a real potential ,the essence of the show, and why people watch.

However, celebs performing/ appearing on the Red Carpet and in the audience is a sign of the huge popularity of the show. Nobody would want those acts to "go away". Why would the viewing audience not want to see their favorite established acts on their favorite TV program? And why would the stars not want to be seen on a very popular show?
    The celebs are there to self-promote, pure and simple. I don't want to see them, I want to see current and past contestants and that's if, with the exception of the duets, which is fun. Go back a few years and you didn't see all these celebs trying to horn it. I usually turn the channel during those parts, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Marc Anthony, that Spidey stuff - boring for me big time.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

Yea...that is why I said. "a sign of the huge popularity of the show".

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    The celebs are there to self-promote, pure and simple. I don't want to see them, I want to see current and past contestants and that's if, with the exception of the duets, which is fun. Go back a few years and you didn't see all these celebs trying to horn it. I usually turn the channel during those parts, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Marc Anthony, that Spidey stuff - boring for me big time.
    I agree with you! I want to see the former contestants. I wonder if the producers have a problem with airing former contestants when they have not done so well since leaving. I guess it would show the varying success you may have, even if you win. Still, I would like to see them.

I guess it's personal taste, but I really could have cared less to see Jennifer or her husband perform, same goes for GaGA and U2. U2 could have been a great performance, but they just tried to promote their show on Broadway and I found it boring.

I like the entertaining acts like Tony Bennett, Tom Jones, Jack Black, and a little of Beyonce. One song by her was enough. Boy, she really is full of herself isn't she? Seriously, I get a little tickled when I see someone try so hard to be sexy. I'm not sure what it is, but it just looks funny IMO.

I thought the girls group number was outstanding. I wish Haley had done If I Were A Boy in competetion. She sounded great on that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I agree, I would keep the duets, they are fun, they showcase the contestants and provide star entertainment. Drop most of the other stuff.

Lee should have had the chance to sing.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Perhaps I missed something. How do we know that he was not offered a chance to perform at some point this season?

Didn't Adam not appear at last year's finale? I know he didn't win, but still.

FORT Fogey

I would have been glad to see Lee, Crystal, Kris, or any of a number of current acts in place of Beyonce (either or both performances, but definitely she didn't need TWO) or TLC. Why the heck were they there? Didn't they used to be three? They weren't huge even when they were popular, and they didn't seem to have anything current to promote. I didn't understand that at all!

Yes, it was harsh to not let Lee perform, but American Idol is a business---and he is not a good enough singer to be up there with this year's Top 13, let alone the established stars that appeared. The only downside for the American Idol business model is that by not permitting the tuneless Lee to perform last night, they are admitting that their Season 9 winner is not a credible vocalist. I am certain that Scotty, who is a solid (if unremarkable) singer, will be invited to perform at next year's finale.
    --
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread