+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katie Stevens Season 9

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Katie Stevens Season 9

She was my pick from Hollywood week and I was really looking forward to her performance. What a let down. Currently I'm not even placing her on my Watch list. Too bad, but maybe next week...
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Oh come on...did TPTB really think we'd believe that she was in danger of going this week?

FORT Fanatic

I thought the judges were unusually harsh. I thought Katie sounded great and I peg her to be the winner already. A voice like that at her age. She is a star.

FORT Fogey

I was surprised at the critical comments about the song being old for her. At 16, if she sang some teen bubblegum song, they would haver been critical of that. She sounded fine in my living room. All I can think is that they deliberately were critical so as to deflect the chosen one label

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3841182;
    I was surprised at the critical comments about the song being old for her. At 16, if she sang some teen bubblegum song, they would haver been critical of that. She sounded fine in my living room. All I can think is that they deliberately were critical so as to deflect the chosen one label
    I thought they were hard on everyone. I really don't think Katie is the chosen one.

To me she looks and sings just like a young Kat McPhee. Which is NOT a good thing to me.

I don't think she will go very far in this competition. I won't be sorry to see her go this week.

I want her to go, now !!

First off, this is my first post ever on the AI Board. But I feel compelled to write.

I'll start by saying that Katie's rendition of "Breakaway" was - in all honesty - not that good. Too low for her... it got better when she got into the higher parts and her voice could soar, but overall - and in all fairness - it was lackluster.

That said, my heart goes out to this girl. The judges have told her over and over to "be younger"... when she does tackle something more youthful, it just isn't her.

I think maybe Simon caught this notion this week: Katie ISN'T a youthful pop star. She's a chanteuse. She's got a big, mature voice that's well-suited for older material. And if anybody says there's no market for such a performer, then I defy you to explain Michael Buble.

I strongly feel that she was pigeon-holed because of her age. If she was 27, I think she would have faired better in the judging.

In the end, this is a glaring flaw where Idol is concerned: trying to make performers into something they aren't. Let the country kids sing country, the rockers rock it, and so forth. And if Katie identifies with the old standards, let her sing them!

I have a feeling she'll go this week, and that makes me really sad. I think there's a BIG voice and big talent there.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Last edited by Unklescott; 03-17-2010 at 06:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast