+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Didi Benami Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Didi Benami Season 9

Didi made me see a completely different side of her last night. Good job! Glad that there is more to her than just Guitar Girl.

I'm loving Didi right now and for me, her performance last night was a very compelling one. Hope she continues to do well ~
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

I don't think the criticism was deserved. I thought she did well & was pretty surprised the judges didn't like it.

I don't know what Didi's back story package was. Sounds like she must have lost someone in her life as Ryan kept pushing her to talk about it. I liked her resolve in not wanting to go there.
    I didn't watch much prior to Hollywood week, so i have no idea what was going on.
    I've said before that I think she's a very attractive girl. Her vocals are not bad, but they're not overly impressive, IMO, either. She also imitates singers who are better than her, rather than being an original. And I still find her too reminiscent of Brooke and Megan.
    I do think she should go home tonight, but I think the judges' comments and Ryan's annoying pestering have ensured that she'll get sympathy votes.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I had two problems with Didi last night.

First, I like her as the quirky girl with the guitar, but last night she left that behind and instead took on the role of Chanteuse. This follows two weeks of playing the Video Vixen (Playing With Fire, You're No Good). I'm not buying her in those styles. She doesn't do them well. She sang OK, but why play dress up? I'm with Kara - she needs to go back to what she does uniquely well.

Second, her performance was lifeless, which was surprising since she told us in the interview package that the song touched a deep nerve in her. I think what happened is that the rawness of her feelings from the past scared her, and she (rightly) did not want to turn her spot into a therapy session in front of millions of people. That also explains her resistance to Ryan's prodding at the end.

The problem with that is that if you are going to throw out all the natural feelings that inspired the song choice - you might as well not do the song. She was left with nothing personal to add to the number, aside from technique. And her technique in this genre is not good.

She may be in danger tonight. I hope she doesn't go home because I'd like to see her return to her roots and give us another song in her wheelhouse.

Epic bummer. Not that I thought she was going to win, but I was at least interested to see what she'd do with a song week after week. I can think of at least 5 folks that deserved to go before her.

Good riddance. She was making my ears bleed.

ITA toasty. At least she was interesting. Not like most of the others. It's too bad she left so early. I would have liked to hear her do a Beatles song.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast