+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Re: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

I guess some women are going to be harder on other women, but honestly, I wanted Didi to win it and then she left. I love her style of music though and that's what I listen to mostly. When she left, I switched to Lee because I like his voice and he sings 'my' kind of music. I'm not into Joplin, Etheridge, etc....that Crystal favors. So while I like her voice and agree she is very talented, I wouldn't buy her album. My only complaint with her appearance is that she could use some White Strips. I kind of dig her hair and it suits her. It's not her appearance that I don't like...it's her folksy style of music. I don't know what other women think, I'm just expressing how I feel. I normally do pick a woman and root for her...with the exception of two seasons....last season (I loved Kris) and Carrie's season....I was torn because I loved Carrie AND Bo and had no idea who I wanted to win. Now THAT was one hell of a finale face-off.

Either way, I think both Crystal and Lee will do fine. Simon really likes Lee so he'll make sure he gets an album out and Crystal will most likely get a record deal either way, as well.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

AI9 Contestants | Facebook

Crystal Bowersox: Thank you all for this incredible journey!!! Love love love is all I can feel right now!

I really hope Crystal wins this. She deserves it.
    Ain't Love Grand!

Well obviously plenty of women HAVE won Idol. But I guess the REAL question is "what will it take for a woman to win Idol when the other finalist is being squeezed over as a 'cute guy'?"
    Last edited by Krom; 05-26-2010 at 12:29 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

After watching the video of Crystal singing when she was 13, I can only ask, "how was she not discovered before this?"

As for her looks, I personally hate dread locks, on anyone, but I think Crystal is a very attractive person. Her hair, to me, doesn't look dirty. It's just a style, and I for one, try not to judge people on their looks or style anyway. Crystal has a raw, natural talent and she's been my favorite from the beginning. I think she's a winner whether she wins this competition or not.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fan

No matter what happens tonight Crystal. I am your fan for life.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Originally Posted by TopCatDC
    What will it take for a woman to win Idol?

Yes, I'm going there.

If not performances of Bowersox caliber, then what? And I'm really directing this to the women of FORT. Do you care that a strong woman of such demonstrated ability is possibly being turned aside for a less talented man with a couple of recent successes?

Does a woman have to look like a model or actress to be successful? Aren't "reality shows" like Idol where the public overrides the media people supposed to be the exception to all that?
    As to your first question, yes, it bothers me that Crystal is potentially going to lose Lee, who is the less talented of the 2. To me, he's always been this lump on a log with very little personality who is nowhere near my taste in men. The kicker is that his music is the type I prefer and what I listen to all the time. But I have a hard time listening to him when he sings out of key and shows no emotion during his performances. He's a robot!!

But back to Crystal -- this poor girl has been dinged for just about everything since she first made it to Hollywood. Her teeth are bad. Her hair is dirty. She's a little bit chunky. And none of those things have anything to do with how she sounds. So, yes, it absolutely bothers me that people are so superficial.

In a perfect world, I don't think a woman has to be a model or model-type to be successful at all. To me, it doesn't matter one iota but I'm not naive enough to think that everyone feels that way. And, heck, I live in the world of the Stepford Wives so I know how critical we women can be towards each other. :nono

What matters to me most, in this show, is that the person with the best singing chops wins. It doesn't have to be the person who can be marketed the best or the person who's "mainstream" or anything like that -- I want the person who gives me goosebumps when I listen to them or who makes me smile b/c I'm happy I got to just listen to them sing win. And this season, hands down, it was Crystal.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by marlap;3912954;
    It may just be teenybopper votes if Lee wins.
    I'm hardly a teenybopper. I've voted twice in this season. Last night I voted for Crystal. The previous week I voted for Lee. I like them both and don't care who wins, but if Lee does win, I doubt its *just* teenybopper votes.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

IMO It's better to get #2 for Crystal. She doesn't belong on the charts. There's a market out there for REAL singer/songwriters and these people aren't on the "top 100". Just look at Rihanna (sp?), she got up on stage and said she was a rock star with the guitar, but she obviously didn't know how to play it. Does she even write her own music? I doubt it. If that's what's popular right now, Crystal doesn't belong. She will fit in well performing with audiences who like real musicians.

Sorry if that sounds rude to some of you.

ETA I think Lee sounded excellent a couple times but he will just mix in to the regular mold... I can think of 10 frontmen from bands that sound/look just like him.

FORT Fogey

But if Rihanna is popular right now, why not put people on the show who can compete with her? Maybe that is too off-topic.

+ Reply to Thread