+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Re: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Buckeye Addict,

THanks for posting that.
    What a beautiful voice she has had for so many years now.
    I hope she wins.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3909695;
    Just found this. A video of Crystal performing at age 13!
    Fantastic!

BuckeyeAddict - thank you for posting that. Just lovely. I'm ok with either Crystal or Lee winning. I think Crystal is going to be just fine either way.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3909828;
    You are absolutely right. Every year, there is a consistently good performer who is accused of not elvoving by the end of the competition. And there are terrible performers who improve slightly and get kudos for it. Crystal had no need to improve, she's a talented pro.
    Yes, the "growth" argument is just lame (and a lot of people just blithely defend it by saying they are "bored" of the person who was talented all along).

If the show was "American Idol: The Search for the Most Improved", maybe there'd be a point to that. But the ACTUAL full title of the show (most people don't recall) is "American Idol: The Search for a Superstar" (don't believe me? Look here). No mention of "Improvement" there. There COULD be someone who's the "Superstar" through growth, but its not a pre-requisite.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3910409;
    Yes, the "growth" argument is just lame (and a lot of people just blithely defend it by saying they are "bored" of the person who was talented all along).

If the show was "American Idol: The Search for the Most Improved", maybe there'd be a point to that. But the ACTUAL full title of the show (most people don't recall) is "American Idol: The Search for a Superstar" (don't believe me? Look here). No mention of "Improvement" there. There COULD be someone who's the "Superstar" through growth, but its not a pre-requisite.
    I can see "most improved" being a valid criterion for choosing one contestant over the other if it results in one being a great singer/performer, If the growth still leaves you sub-par and paling in comparison to the competition, then having improved greatly doesn't seem like a good reason for one to win over the other. If they just want improvement, they should start with a crop of inexperienced or not very good singers to begin with (oh, wait, I think that's what they did this sseason, with the exception of a handful!).

That's how I see things, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3909930;
    Here's a question, particularly for the Ohio fans. Is there any kind of "get out the vote" organizing going on for Crystal? I've been tooling around the internets and I see some fan sites, but no real campaign going on for her.

Last year the Adam and Kris fans were locked in a fierce battle with organized voting parties and power texting week after week (long before the finale). Which probably partly explains why last year's Danny-Kris-Adam Top 3 got 88 million votes, while this year's Casey-Lee-Crystal just got 45 million. (FYI - around 60 million votes is normal for a Top 3 night.)

With this year's lower viewership and voting, if either side did organize, they could probably walk away with the title.

It seems like Crystal is a contestant that a lot of people like, but not many are fervent enough to really go all-out in voting.

What do you think?
    The radio stations have something going on facebook. And one has called a couple affiliate radio stations through out the country to campaign for votes. But that's all I've seen.

American Idol | Facebook

Crystal Bowersox: There's a video surfacing from a gig I did when I was 13.. sometimes is the name of the song:-) didn't realize how much my voice and guitar playing changed!

FORT Fogey

Why I'm Voting for Crystal Bowersox

This is collection of performances is simply at an unbelievable standard of excellence. Has anyone before on Idol come out of the gate so strong and stayed so consistent? Yeah, a couple of weeks in the middle she was merely good - but the last two weeks have been back up to the Bowersox standard.

Here are her performances and the grades and comments I made at the time.
    1. Natural Woman (A)- Out of an entire month of auditions and Hollywood week performances, this was the standout audition for me; blew me away with that rendition and she managed to get her competition to sing backup!
    2. Hand In My Pocket (B+) - she did an excellent job on Hand in My Pocket, putting her stake in the ground and declaring "This is who I am". The judges loved her originality but, like a lot of us here, want to see her break out of the "coffee house" mold. Out of the 24 semi-finalists, only Crystal and Siobhan gave "Idol Worthy" performances.
    3. Long As I Can See The Light (B+) - Wonderful work. Vocally strong and she knows exactly who she is as an artist. She finally won Simon over with this demonstrating that she is someone who can sing with authority from their soul.
    4. Give Me One Reason (A) - At this point Crystal is not even on the same show as the others. Like Adam Lambert last year, she is just out there entertaining week after week. She breezes into the Finals.
    5. You Can't Always Get What You Want (A) - Crystal is the undisputed star of Rolling Stones week; she is ready for a recording contract right now
    6. Me And Bobby McGee (A-) - Flipping the theme from Teen Idol to Billboard 100 threw most of the contestants for a loop and made for one week of very bad TV; except for Crystal who gave a solid, authentic performance. I think the arrangement suffered a bit from the need to get from the soft beginning to the wailing "Bobby McGee's" in 90 seconds, but Crystal made it work. I agree with the judges that she needs to work on her connection to the audience, though.
    7. Midnight Train To Georgia (A) - Ah, it's good to be the queen. Crystal changes things up for R&B week and leaves the guitar at home. The opening piano section was ok, but then she picked up the mic and brought it home.
    8. Come Together (A) - This is what the contestants should be doing for Beatles week! Yes, she sang well - but we should expect that at minimum. She gave us a different twist than the full on rock out versions we have heard in the past. This was stripped back to just a few instruments (including an Austrailian didgeridoo!) The verses were musically distinct - there was a build and flow to the song.
    9. Saved (A+) - Idol has never had a woman like Crystal before - someone so rooted in blues and able to consistently bend songs to her strengths. Add to that, the woman has never given a bad performance. Elvis week was stronger than the past couple of weeks - she's at the top of her game.
    10. People Get Ready (A+) - It's Inspiration Week and oddly Crystal is the only person to do a religious song. This was an Idol moment that people will remember. A great vocal when she got into it, though she had some breath problems at the start. But the emotion is what fixes this in our minds. Musically the arrangement had a really nice arc - starting a capella, coming in with the band, and then easing out with just her and the backup vocals.
    11. No One Needs To Know (B) - Crystal takes "No One" into classic acoustic country territory. It's fine, and simple. Too simple for a singing competition. But placed in the Crystal oeuvre, it's a nice fun ballad for her album. Not her best shot, but it's saved by the autheticity of Crystal's delivery.
    12. Summer Wind (B-) - Crystal's Summer Wind started with an intimate Jazz feel, and then amped up to a big band finish. However she seemed a little disconnected from the arrangement.
    13. Falling Slowly (B) - I have to say, Lee and Crystal are fine on it. They bring up the tempo, add the band, and do a fun power ballad trading lines. However, it leaves me empty. There is so much in this lyric, and they pretty much throw the words away. It feels like empty calories to me.
    14. I'm Alright (A) - Hmm, ya think the girl is trying to send us a message? Is this a great piece of material? No - but it's particularly appropriate for Crystal and she gives a it a funky blues-rock spin. Great job on the vocals; overall wonderful performance. Mamasox is back!
    15. Come To My Window (B) - First, the harmonica is a mistake. It gets in the way of the performance and adds little to the overall package. Now the song itself is a good choice and gives Crystal something to really wail on. However, she seems a bit disconnected from the audience. Very good; not great.
    16. Maybe I'm Amazed (A) - Crystal leaves the instruments behind gives a pure rock performance. (Shades of Allison from last year!) Good choice, because it corrects a lot of the performance problems from the first number. She's strong, in good voice, and connected to the material. I would still like to see a little more connection to the audience, so it feels more like she's singing to us instead of to herself, but other than that a great job.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-25-2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3912609;
    [*]Saved (A+) - Idol has never had a woman like Crystal before - someone so rooted in blues and able to consistently bend songs to her strengths. Add to that, the woman has never given a bad performance.

Crystal is a true artist who can do it all: sing beautifully, play instruments well, write well (see her older videos) and express a charismatic and warm personality. And she almost always exhibits a strong connection to the lryics of her songs when she is performing. This is something that is very hard for the typical AI contestant to do. I think she is the most talented contestant to grace AI, which is why I kinda suspect the judges will push for her to win tonight, but who knows? Certainly Lee is not, nor any other Season 9 contestant, is in her league.
    ===
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-25-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

What will happen, will happen. While it was not stated directly by Ryan, I wonder if Lee being called first meant that Crystal was in the bottom two with Casey. People will continue to vote for their favorite and all the negative comments about Lee and the glowing ones about Crystal, won't change that. Both have a strong fan base, but there still is a high number of people who vote for the performance week to week. So what we see tonight and not the previous 16 songs, will decide it.

+ Reply to Thread