+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Re: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

I'm usually someone who'd get put off by somebody if they looked really ragged.
    While I don't think she looks her absolute best, I sure don't get the sense that she's unwashed or has never brushed her teeth, either. She's going into the top 12 where they all get the mini makeovers.

Seems a lot of people liked Jason Castro on his season and he wore dreads too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3853538;
    I'm usually someone who'd get put off by somebody if they looked really ragged.
    While I don't think she looks her absolute best, I sure don't get the sense that she's unwashed or has never brushed her teeth, either. She's going into the top 12 where they all get the mini makeovers.

Seems a lot of people liked Jason Castro on his season and he wore dreads too.
    I've got nothing against dreads -- I think they can actually look pretty sharp on the right person -- and I was more speaking figuratively on the toothbrush and soap thing. I think it's the sloppiness that people are reacting to, because she looks like she just rolled out of bed and came to the studio.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Poor Crystal looked so drained last night. She looked like she could've curled up and gone to bed on the stool. I've never dealt with diabetes or known anyone with it but based off of 4health's post, perhaps it is really throwing her out of whack. It's no secret that most of the contestants get sick when they start all their rehearsals and such, so maybe a common cold could've really done her in. She looked like she was going to pass out when Ryan had her stand up. Now whether that's from actually being sick or feeling like she might get sick, they should've made her the first person to move on so she wouldn't have had to undergo that stress! I know, some might say that they're playing favorites if they do things like that but I'd rather they do that than hear that something diabetes-related happened to her b/c she'd pushed herself too far.

And I did notice that she had more makeup on than usual. She looked "clean grungy" to me last night.

I'm looking forward to seeing her Rolling Stones performance next week. Can't wait to see/hear what she chooses!!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fogey

I thought the utter lack of interaction with the other kids really telling. There were no hugs or even hand touches. She just sat there and everything seemed to swirl around her. Even if they were respecting her space becasue she was so sick, you would expect just the simplest human contact during the moments of great elation....and if her health is that big a problem, does she actually belong on the show?? Time will tell

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Just read this article about Crystal, which I found interesting, especially since we've all been discussing points in it --

LOS ANGELES - “American Idol” is months away from crowning a winner, but already, one woman has emerged as the contestant to beat.

During her third week of live competition on Tuesday, judge Simon Cowell told Crystal Bowersox, the 24-year-old dreadlock-sporting mom from Elliston, Ohio, the competition was “your’s to lose.”

But what does Bowersox herself think about the hype?

“I don’t know if it’s true, but we’ll see,” she told AccessHollywood.com’s Laura Saltman on the red carpet at “Idol’s” Top 12 party in Los Angeles on Thursday night. “I just go out there and do what’s natural and hope it carries me really far.”

Bowersox, who has appeared effortless on stage performing Alanis Morissette’s “Hand In My Pocket,” Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Long As I Can See The Light,” and earlier this week, Tracy Chapman’s “Give Me One Reason,” has been lauded for being real. Randy Jackson commended Bowersox for her “honesty” in who she is as an artist and a performer on Tuesday, but on the red carpet last night, the singer admitted that staying true to herself has presented some problems for the “Idol” stylist.

“She’s very frustrated with me,” Bowersox laughed. “I don’t wear a lot of colors. I tend to stay to all, you know, dark colors and just natural tones and things. She says, ‘Why don’t you try some color?’ And I’m like, ‘Maybe we’ll see what happens.’ You know, I’m willing, I’m open to it, but I’m just going to stay true; if it doesn’t feel comfortable I’m not doing it.”

In addition to her personal style, another thing Bowersox plans to keep is her dreads — a hairstyle she has had for a while.

“I’ve had these for about four and a half years now,” she said. “They’ve been around the world with me — Istanbul, Turkey ... Mexico ... England — so there’s a lot of history here,” Bowersox said. “I do wash my hair — just so everyone knows. There’s a lot of myths out there about dreadlocks but they’re very clean and well kept.”

Bowersox, who was hospitalized during Week 2 related to her diabetes, forcing a shake up in the “Idol” schedule (the men had to sing on a Tuesday instead of a Wednesday) said she is doing well.

“I’m perfectly fine,” Bowersox said of her health. “Juvenile diabetes is something you struggle with. Every day is a battle and I got back up and did my best and I’m still here.”

Bowersox is keeping the dreadlocks - Access Hollywood - msnbc.com
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Fan

Let's hope Crystal keeps up her fight. Wish her the best.

FORT Fogey

I was crazy about Crystal, just like she was, from the first time I saw her audition. Hope she doesn't change a thing and sticks to her guns. I'm sure she would feel ridiculous being overly made-up and dressed in a way that isn't comfortable to her style. She doesn't need to try to be an Adam Lambert chameleon or dress like a teeny bopper or wear stilettos or platforms - what's great for some people doesn't work for others. I hope they leave her alone and just let Crystal be Crystal. I think that, in itself, is enough to get her to the end.

FORT Fan

Agreed. The Judges advice don't make any sense anyway. Crystal should do what's comfortable and true for her.

While I think she has a really good voice, I'm not much of a fan and that's partly from her personality. I'm having trouble imagining her doing anything other than standing and singing. I thought she might have been sick last week because she was so unemotional when she was put in the top 12. Even thought she's clearly TCO this season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was a shock boot earlier on. She doesn't have to change her hair, teeth, or even her clothes but she does need to work on showing personality. Right now she's not likable and that's important if you want people to power vote for you.

FORT Fan

Great pic here!

Apparently Crystal was an outsider even when she was a kid.

A source told RadarOnline.com: “Those were difficult times for Crystal, her parents divorced when she was a young child and she did not come from a wealthy background or anything like that. When she was part of the swim team she used to have to wear Goodwill bathing suits and the other kids would tease her about that and because she didn’t fit in."

+ Reply to Thread