+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Re: Crystal Bowersox Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much
    It was very clear to me that she sat and apparently really needed to do so. I am guessing that her health is still not good..maybe because the change in her life under IDOL is throwing her out of whack. I also noticed that she has some severe dental issues, maybe also related to her condition. I also noticed that her over all appearance was back to being what we saw in Hollywood...lank hair and drab clothing. I think she looked her best on the opeinng show. She wore some color and her hair, while still in dreds, looked shiny. LAst week, she looked like a person who was ill and this week even worse.

She did perform well, although I just am not a fan. Simon, however, is so determined for her to win that he may be hurting her by being his usual obvious self
    DH and I commented on the fact that she looked like her blood sugar had dropped. I read somewhere and can't find where now that apparently Crystal has never had a good handle on her diabetes. This could be a problem is she has episodes like this regularly and can't stand for more than one song.

I also agree about her look. Unfortunately - this industry is as much about your image as it is about your voice. I have read a ton of blogs and heard a lot of people echo my feeling that they just wish she would look like she took a shower.

I agree that when the judges get so excited about one person that it makes me focus more on their flaws and feel like maybe they aren't giving a fair shot to other contestants.

Crystal can sing but to win this competition she needs to get her health in check and find a way to appeal to the masses (and by masses - I mean the teenage girls who carried David Archuleta to the Final 2 and have made Taylor Swift the sensation she is)

I like Crystal a lot, but here's the thing. All of the songs she has chosen so far leaves me with the impression that she has performed them 1,000 times before in her prior life. The rubbe will hit the road when she has to sing Broadway, Motown, Country, or Big Band stuff. I have a feeling that is when Siobhan is going to separate herself from the group. I'm pulling for Crystal & Siobhan in the final 2.

I don't think it really matters if Crystal wins American Idol. She's going to get a recording contract, win or lose. She is an incredible performer.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3851860;
    I like Crystal a lot, but here's the thing. All of the songs she has chosen so far leaves me with the impression that she has performed them 1,000 times before in her prior life. The rubbe will hit the road when she has to sing Broadway, Motown, Country, or Big Band stuff. I have a feeling that is when Siobhan is going to separate herself from the group. I'm pulling for Crystal & Siobhan in the final 2.
    Everything she has sung has been Lilith Fair material. I have heard her voice and her songs done there. Can she do other stuff? That will be the telling point. The other girls have been experimenting and offering different sounds while, as you said, she has been singing the same songs she is totally familiar with.

Thank god, she got rid of the harmonica!!!

Don't the judges say to stay true to yourself, know who you are and your style? Make it your own? I don't see the problem at all.

While Crystal is my favorite, I also worry about her health. I doubt she realized what a pressure cooker AI would be and really wasn't prepared for it. I worry that she won't be able to handle touring unless she gets a better handle on her sugar levels. She is my favorite of the competition, but with a cloud.

I do remember that David Cook had a heart? problem during the show and had to be hospitalized overnight. He returned to full strength but it took another week for him to be at 100%. This show is a test of strength as much as will, determination and a good singing voice.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3851884;
    Don't the judges say to stay true to yourself, know who you are and your style? Make it your own? I don't see the problem at all.
    You don't take every word the judges say as gospel, do you???LOL

If you are to know yourself and be true to yourself, then they wouldn't ask the kids to sing out of their comfort range, experiment and try different genres.

I think that a number of people are saying that this "forced" experimentation MAY be a problem for her down the road since she is only doing what she is comfortable with. And while they are applauding that now, it might not be the case in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3851886;
    While Crystal is my favorite, I also worry about her health. I doubt she realized what a pressure cooker AI would be and really wasn't prepared for it. I worry that she won't be able to handle touring unless she gets a better handle on her sugar levels. She is my favorite of the competition, but with a cloud.

I do remember that David Cook had a heart? problem during the show and had to be hospitalized overnight. He returned to full strength but it took another week for him to be at 100%. This show is a test of strength as much as will, determination and a good singing voice.
    Amen sista'...and as far as the comments concerning Crystal's "looks" (and I have echoed the same), Making the top 12 will give her more "stylists" at her disposal.

Least we all forget the transformation of Clay Aiken...and even Elliott Yamen (who had that darn snaggle tooth taken care of...) and the "post" idol transformation of Kelly Pickler!

I predict that Crystal will have zero trouble with the theme weeks.

Like Randy always says, "If you can really sing, you can sing ANYthing." And Crystal can really sing!

Daughtry and Bo Bice and Carrie all stayed true to their Rock/Southern Rock/Country vibes all through their theme weeks.

Plus, Crystal is such a great perfomer...totally comfortable on stage.

I just can't wait to see how cool she makes her songs.
    Ain't Love Grand!

FORT Fogey

The discussion we are in now (and it's quite relevant to Crystal) is one of the central conundrums of Idol. The singer who can actually morph from country to disco to Broadway to rock and then back to current pop could have a hell of a run on AI, but would be poorly suited for the marketplace. I can hear Kara now: "Who are you? What kind of record would you make?"

On the other hand the performer who throws down their flag and defines who they are and stays true to that week after week risks being boring - but will leave the show with a set of fans ready to buy their music.

The successful contestants have been the talented and clever few who were able to be authentically themselves and in the process bring something new and interesting to a piece of material. In the first few seasons, pure talent was sufficient to win. I don't think that's true anymore; you've got to be smart and know yourself and the audience.

Back to Crystal, we know that she's talented. And so far, she has been smart - stretching away from folk in into some pretty righteous blues. Can she keep it up? We'll see.

As for Crystal being nothing special, whether at Lilith Fair or outside your typical subway station - I don't agree. Lots of people can learn to sing and play blues style licks, but not many can actually go inside the song and inhabit it the way Crystal did. She reminds me of a young Bonnie Raitt - another authentic blues singer.

+ Reply to Thread