+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Casey James Season 9

Re: Casey James Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3910431;
    On every show I watched, he did sing.
    He sang because Idol is a singing show so he had to sing. I was responding to the bit where he said he was "NOT a singer" and the stupidity of auditioning for a singing show if he doesn't see himself as a singer.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3910435;
    He sang because Idol is a singing show so he had to sing. I was responding to the bit where he said he was "NOT a singer" and the stupidity of auditioning for a singing show if he doesn't see himself as a singer.
    He regarded himself more of a musician who sang rather than a singer who played an instrument. I don't see any "stupidity" there since he sang and was successful on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3910453;
    He regarded himself more of a musician who sang rather than a singer who played an instrument.
    And that's exactly what's wrong with this entire season. Idol is still a singing show, use of the instruments notwithstanding. Perhaps this season might not have been the dud it turned out to be had they allowed in more people who actually wanted to sing more than they wanted to strum a guitar. Casey is just a side effect of Idol's three season long miscalculation that is now producing dime-a-dozen guitar pluckers who, oh, by the way, can sing a bit on the side. Hell, there are two more of them left in the competition.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3910586;
    And that's exactly what's wrong with this entire season. Idol is still a singing show, use of the instruments notwithstanding. Perhaps this season might not have been the dud it turned out to be had they allowed in more people who actually wanted to sing more than they wanted to strum a guitar. Casey is just a side effect of Idol's three season long miscalculation that is now producing dime-a-dozen guitar pluckers who, oh, by the way, can sing a bit on the side. Hell, there are two more of them left in the competition.

NOW we can agree....just did not agree with you that Casey was the one who stood out in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3910421;
    Why the hell did he even audition for Idol then which is a singing show where you have to, you know, sing? It all sounds like a lot of excuses, excuses, excuses to me: "Waa, waa, I didn't make the final two but that's okay because I'm not a singer!!" Idiot.
    I didn't see the interview, so this is just a guess. Casey's strength is in his performing with his guitars and musical instruments. Maybe he was just saying that IN HIS opinion he feels that his SINGING abilities are not on the same level as his instrumental abilities. Maybe Casey was simply stating that singing was not he strength.

I don't get the "excuses, excuses, excuses" part. However, I didn't see this interview, but I never saw Casey make any excuses for any of his "bad performances" given to him by the judges while on the show. Not everyone who makes it as far as Casey did was always the best singer. I can think of a lot of people who made it through who weren't the best singers of their season.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 05-23-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3910352;
    Ellen gave some insight into how she'll view her audition stint this summer - looking for the "out of the Idol mainstream" type musicians and singers like Casey. That should be interesting.
    Out of the main stream is great, put I would rather they just quit putting through the ones who can't sing or who are marginal and go with a batch of really good singers. They can all learn performance skills and get makeovers, which would be a lot more fun to watch than a bunch of people who aren't that great.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

So, Casey might think of himself first as a guitar player, and second, a singer. So what? He's a very good singer and a great guitar player. He and Crystal were the only reasons I watched this show after Lilly Scott and Alex Lambert got booted off.

The idea that AI is some kind of pristine singing competition that shouldn't be "sullied" by people who play guitar is nonsense. AI was never a pure singing competition, or folks like Sanjaya or Carmen the Goat would never have reached as high as they did as finalists.

Casey and Crystal's muscianship wonderfully complement their singing, for me.

---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-24-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Longhorn, Ellen's interviews can be found on that popular video hosting site. If you search for "Ellen Casey James" you should find it. It was about the 5th or 6th entry down, and the user is TheEllenDegeneresShow.

I also thought Casey was only saying he was primarily a musician. IMO, he was being modest about his singing abilities. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems at least reasonably humble to me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3910435;
    This show has NEVER been - nor will it every be - a show based solely on singing. It's all about marketability.

Casey's participation is completely consistent with how they've done things in past years....he shouldn't have said what he did because it hurt both himself and the show, but ... he's not wrong.

+ Reply to Thread