+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Casey James Season 9

Re: Casey James Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3909051;
    Didn't notice the sign myself, but I can certainly understand the significance of such. Not that all his negativity has been channeled towards Casey . . . plenty of other contestants have had more than their fair share.

I'll go half-way in agreeing with your last statement, with this explanation . . . Crystal has been a "chosen one" almost from the beginning. It was only in the latter stages of the season that she began to receive criticism (some of it rightly given). Lee had almost the opposite experience. He was dissed early and often and it was only with his growth, determination and improvements that he got the praise.

If the voting public truly picks the winner, than TPTB aren't the only ones who wanted it that way.
    I didn't even start watching AI until the top ten were decided, so I have to admit that I was not as interested this season as I was in past years. I sometimes even recorded AI so that I could just watch those that held any appeal to me and fast forwarded through the others.

But that being said, I am happy for Lee. He has a good chance to win it all. Yes, the public has voted Lee into the finale, and he has earned his spot as well.

Nice wrap up about Casey's stint on AI from a column in Salon.Com:

"...And, yes, Goldilocks wasn’t the best of singers or performers, and he was damn lucky to have lasted as long as he did, but maybe there’s something we can all learn from Casey James. Casey James, the same young man who had a wild and reckless youth with two DUI's, a stint in jail and a marriage that lasted only three years. Casey James, the same young man who nearly died from a near-fatal motorcycle accident, spent six months in a wheelchair and had been told by his doctors he may never be able to use his left hand again, let alone play the guitar.

Casey learned early that he was mortal, life is short and second chances that come in the form of still being able to breathe and eventually be able to play his beloved guitar put every criticism, every denunciation, every put down from the judges and idiots like me in clear and balanced perspective. He's alive and that's all that really matters.
    Casey James didn’t win "American Idol," but maybe we can all agree that placing third and winning Mr. Congeniality ain’t so bad. Casey may be riding into the sunset, but his grace, gratitude and southern charm won’t be forgotten for a long long time."

"American Idol" recap: Bye, Goldilocks - American Idol 2010 - Salon.com

-----
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

But wait! There's more!

I found another good article, but I'm not sure if it's a site that we are allowed to link to. Do a search for "Casey James Stifled". The website is actress archives (without the space). He explains that because of the structure of the show, he didn't get to play the kinds of songs he would like to have. He also talks about his cousin's daughter (who he held at the end of Wednesday's show). VERY sweet.

Where was this guy 20 years ago when I was single??? Oh, yeah - he was in 2nd grade!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3909934;
    But wait! There's more!
    Here's a quote from Casey's exit interview that appears in that article and elsewhere about his final song on Wednesday night:

“That was my cousin's daughter, Lindy, who I watch from time to time. Me and her and her brother, Jaron -- that was the boy sitting right next to her -- I just love them very much. They're super-good kids…. Lindy had been wanting to give me a hug all day. Being a little girl who doesn't understand show business, she doesn't know that I can't go out and give her a hug. All she knows is that I'm not. When I saw her, I was, like, 'Oh, yeah, I'm outta here, they can't tell me not to give my little cousin a hug!' "

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3909934;
    But wait! There's more!

I found another good article, but I'm not sure if it's a site that we are allowed to link to. Do a search for "Casey James Stifled". The website is actress archives (without the space). He explains that because of the structure of the show, he didn't get to play the kinds of songs he would like to have.
    Can we be brutally honest? That's true of almost every contestant who makes the Top 12, and DEFINITELY true of each of the Top 3.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3909946;
    Can we be brutally honest? That's true of almost every contestant who makes the Top 12, and DEFINITELY true of each of the Top 3.

Yes, that's true. And some contestants are creative enough to work around the confines and rework songs to fit their style.

I wasn't trying to claim that he was at some unfair disadvantage. I was just glad to read that he didn't sing what he would like to have. I have felt all along that he was more of a gritty blues-rocker, and we really never saw what I kept hoping to see. Youtube does have some videos of him that are more true to him.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3909941;
    Here's a quote from Casey's exit interview that appears in that article and elsewhere about his final song on Wednesday night:
    “When I saw her, I was, like, 'Oh, yeah, I'm outta here, they can't tell me not to give my little cousin a hug!' "
    Aw, so sweet. I'm going to have to watch that clip again now that I know the back-story.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

On Ellen today Casey pretty much confirmed the label I had set for him - a guitar sideman with back-up vocals - not the lead. He said he was surprised all along that he made it through the stages because he thinks of himself as a musician and NOT a singer.

Ellen gave some insight into how she'll view her audition stint this summer - looking for the "out of the Idol mainstream" type musicians and singers like Casey. That should be interesting.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3910352;
    On Ellen today Casey pretty much confirmed the label I had set for him - a guitar sideman with back-up vocals - not the lead. He said he was surprised all along that he made it through the stages because he thinks of himself as a musician and NOT a singer.

Ellen gave some insight into how she'll view her audition stint this summer - looking for the "out of the Idol mainstream" type musicians and singers like Casey. That should be interesting.
    Why the hell did he even audition for Idol then which is a singing show where you have to, you know, sing? It all sounds like a lot of excuses, excuses, excuses to me: "Waa, waa, I didn't make the final two but that's okay because I'm not a singer!!" Idiot.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3910421;
    Why the hell did he even audition for Idol then which is a singing show where you have to, you know, sing? It all sounds like a lot of excuses, excuses, excuses to me: "Waa, waa, I didn't make the final two but that's okay because I'm not a singer!!" Idiot.
    On every show I watched, he did sing. Hmmm. I thought Casey was thrilled to get where he did. He did say on ELLEN that he never thought he would get as far as he did...so no "waa, waa" from him.

+ Reply to Thread