+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Casey James Season 9

Re: Casey James Season 9

You're right about the Alllman Brothers. I didn't know much about them until the 1990's. A friend of mine was really into the music biz and actually knew Dickie Betts, who used to be in the band. We got backstage passes and front row seats for several years. They really are a jammin band.
    I do think Casey is more attractive than Gregg and he is does remind me of Peter Frampton, but his hair is also like Robert Plant. Robert is my VERY favorite and has the best hair.

He's photo of him at about Casey's age.

Robert Plant Picture #1104202 - 335 x 500 - FanPix.Net

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3902334;
    You're right about the Alllman Brothers. I didn't know much about them until the 1990's. A friend of mine was really into the music biz and actually knew Dickie Betts, who used to be in the band. We got backstage passes and front row seats for several years. They really are a jammin band.
    I do think Casey is more attractive than Gregg and he is does remind me of Peter Frampton, but his hair is also like Robert Plant. Robert is my VERY favorite and has the best hair.

He's photo of him at about Casey's age.

Robert Plant Picture #1104202 - 335 x 500 - FanPix.Net
    Woah! You should have put a warning on that photo! May cause a heart attack! He was looking really hot there!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3902255;
    Razor is right - many of us are plenty old enough to remember the Allman Brothers. However - I think Casey is MUCH more attractive than Gregg. To me, he's a little closer to Peter Frampton. Not so much in the face, and certainly Casey's a lot taller. But they have (or had!) similar hair, and Peter was often sporting a smile as he performed.

The other day I heard a DJ say the radio station had Peter on as a guest. He commented that Peter is one musician who has no qualms about wearing a big smile during his performances. I know some have an issue about how much Casey smiles during his performances, but I find it endearing, as long as it doesn’t contradict the meaning of the song.
    The comparison to Peter Frampton is a good one. Performance-wise - and maybe it's all the blonde hair, too - I also thought of Robin Zander (when he was younger, of course). But no one was as pretty as Robert Plant. One of the big thrills of my concert-going experiences was seeing Plant in the '80's when he was touring as a solo act.

I don't know that these comparisons are doing poor Casey any favours, though. If he reminds us of '70's rock stars, that's not the "current" sound or look that AI so dearly loves. I hate to bring up Bo Bice, but...
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3902363;
    I don't know that these comparisons are doing poor Casey any favours, though. If he reminds us of '70's rock stars, that's not the "current" sound or look that AI so dearly loves. I hate to bring up Bo Bice, but...
    As I said before, Casey is old school, as is Crystal. More contemporary folks, like Lilly Scott and Didi Benami, didn't make it. It's ironic. The folks who are most successful on the show tend to be the more traditional performers. I think that's because of the show's format, which relies on a lot of oldies. That's why I think it's unrealistic to expect all AI winners to sell out arenas in their post AI careers. Most of them do not excel at contemporary genres.
    ---
    ---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3902375;
    It's ironic. The folks who are most successful on the show tend to be the more traditional performers. I think that's because of the show's format, which relies on a lot of oldies.
    That's true. Also, the simple fact that AI is a television show means that it favors "entertainers" that can make a strong splashy impression like Taylor Hicks, Adam Lambert, Fantasia, and Clay Aiken. It's not the best way to look for a recording star. Kind of like trying to select the best golfer by having the candidates play baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3902531;
    That's true. Also, the simple fact that AI is a television show means that it favors "entertainers" that can make a strong splashy impression like Taylor Hicks, Adam Lambert, Fantasia, and Clay Aiken. It's not the best way to look for a recording star. Kind of like trying to select the best golfer by having the candidates play baseball.
    Interesting that the four folks you named have not gone on to be the top of the Idol stars list. That would go to the singers, Kelly & Carrie.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3902375;
    As I said before, Casey is old school, as is Crystal. More contemporary folks, like Lilly Scott and Didi Benami, didn't make it. It's ironic. The folks who are most successful on the show tend to be the more traditional performers. I think that's because of the show's format, which relies on a lot of oldies. That's why I think it's unrealistic to expect all AI winners to sell out arenas in their post AI careers. Most of them do not excel at contemporary genres.
    ---
    ---
    I never thought of it that way, but you are so right! That explains why Casey and Crystal have been my favorites. I was so excited about Elliott during AI5, during which he sang almost all old-school songs. But I have been very disappointed in his taste in music post-Idol.

FORT Fogey

Just saw a video of Casey doing Ian Moore's Satisfied on another website, and it was incredible! I LOVE Casey doing his style of music - hope he gets to record something more along the lines of this or Jealous Guy, when that time comes.

Tried to post a link, but it didn't work - you can do a search for it on that video website....

Try this link for "Satisfied." Whew. Casey oughta do this on Idol. Again, it's Old School, but wonderfully authentic. He's got an old guy's blues voice and sensibility trapped in a GQ model's body.

YouTube - Casey James - Satisfied by Ian Moore

---
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

It is ironic that two very popular contestants---Casey and Crystal both have timeless music styles. The broken recond of Simon talking "You have to be current or relevant" shows that Simon is in it for the money and the pop tunes teens will by. I recall that his first critical comment to Crystal was that he could hear her sound in any subway stop. HAven;t heard that from him in a while once he began to see the voting numbers.

+ Reply to Thread