+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Garcia Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Andrew Garcia Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3833652;
    When Andrew first said he was going to do that Paula song, I thought he was crazy. Figured they'd boo him off the stage.

WOW! Not a big fan of remakes, but if ever a song needed to be re-released, it's Andrew's version for sure!
    Only if Paula doesn't profit from it in any way? Actually, I think she owes me money for emotional distress from having to listen to it on the radio a couple of decades back!

But I would willingly and gladly listen to Andrew's version again. Hope he advances FAR in this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3833532;
    I hate to channel Kara DioGuardi, but his version of "Straight Up" was genius. I see him going far in the competition...
    I like his version better than the original.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3834059;

I did like the way he changed the song and made it his own the judges was really impressed with that plus he got charm and a humble quality about him that they couldnt help but pass him through to the Top 24 i hope he makes it far cause he got the vocals and plus the instrunment helps him alot we just got to vote to keep him going through to the Top 12 at least

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3834059;
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3833532;
    I hate to channel Kara DioGuardi, but his version of "Straight Up" was genius. I see him going far in the competition...
    He didn't arrange that, it's been out there for years. This was posted on YouTube 3 years ago. Sound familiar?

YouTube - Straight Up (Acoustic)

Hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3835058;
    He didn't arrange that, it's been out there for years. This was posted on YouTube 3 years ago. Sound familiar?

YouTube - Straight Up (Acoustic)
    Unk, I really thought I had heard that arrangement before. I am not sure if I heard it on Youtube or not , but I have heard it before. Did Andrew actually say he arranged it? Just curious.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Lurk;3835517;
    Unk, I really thought I had heard that arrangement before. I am not sure if I heard it on Youtube or not , but I have heard it before. Did Andrew actually say he arranged it? Just curious.
    Keep in mind that nothing is more sliced and diced in the editing room than Hollywood week. But as far as the way the event unspooled on TV, all we saw was Andrew playing (most of) the song. It was all of us watching it that said it was so original.

So, if you thought it was his idea, subtract a few points from his score.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3835726;
    Keep in mind that nothing is more sliced and diced in the editing room than Hollywood week. But as far as the way the event unspooled on TV, all we saw was Andrew playing (most of) the song. It was all of us watching it that said it was so original.

So, if you thought it was his idea, subtract a few points from his score.
    I'm always impressed when contestants have the talent to come up with an original arrangement (a la Kris Allen), but he found a song that fit him and that he performed well and was able to impress, and that in itself is "genius." Much like David Cook's performance of the slow arrangement of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" - not original, but very fitting.

Hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3835726;
    Keep in mind that nothing is more sliced and diced in the editing room than Hollywood week. But as far as the way the event unspooled on TV, all we saw was Andrew playing (most of) the song. It was all of us watching it that said it was so original. So, if you thought it was his idea, subtract a few points from his score.
    No subtracting points for me. I just wondered about Andrew because I never heard him actually claim it as his own and I didn't think he did, but I miss things sometimes. I just assumed it was not original because I knew I had heard it before. I know David Cook (who I LOVE) got flack for the whole Billie Jean thing, but he never claimed it was his original arrangement either.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3835941;
    I'm always impressed when contestants have the talent to come up with an original arrangement (a la Kris Allen), but he found a song that fit him and that he performed well and was able to impress, and that in itself is "genius." Much like David Cook's performance of the slow arrangement of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" - not original, but very fitting.
    I agree with everything you have said here.

Las Vegas has installed him as the favorite this year.

I don't think he tried to pull it off as his own but it sure was presented that way on the show with the judges comments and all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast