+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/17 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 2/17 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by navybelle;3832867;
    Who was singing Hallelulah at the end of the show, as they showed us the ones who got through?
    I think it's Jeff Buckley (or someone doing a good impersonation). You can hear that version on youtube (is it okay to post links to other websites here?). When I heard it on Idol the other night, I recognized the electric guitar and that emotional ending so I rewound and clicked on the youtube vid. His version is unique - very intense...and just beautiful.

In my opinion, Justin Timberlake's version is what Simon would call "self-indulgent."
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 02-19-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: =

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;3833012;
    anyone notice there are no zaftig girls this season? No Jennifer, no Lakisha...not even a Kimberly Locke or Jordan Sparks body type. My husband said "That was Simon's going away present". lololol
    (We hope every measure of success, every award and great review that Jennifer Hudson garners sticks in Simon's craw, continuously pointing out how WRONG he was).
    While I agree that Simon was usually much more critical of JHud than I thought she deserved, he didn't always slam her. When she sang "Circle of Life," he complimented her. Not a glowing compliment - he said that for the first time in the competition, she proved why she was in the top 12. And then I think he followed up with "Well done," or something like that. The following week he repeated that her "Circle of Life" performance was exceptional and he wouldn't be surprised if she had become a front-runner.

Also, Simon isn't the one who voted her off the show! The problem was there were 2 other divas to split the votes with - plus the song she sang that night just didn't suit her (IMO). But out of all the contestants from season 3, who has been the most successful? Sort of like how Daughtry is more successful than anyone else from season 4. Finishing #1 doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3833265;
    I think it's Jeff Buckley (or someone doing a good impersonation). You can hear that version on youtube (is it okay to post links to other websites here?). When I heard it on Idol the other night, I recognized the electric guitar and that emotional ending so I rewound and clicked on the youtube vid. His version is unique - very intense...and just beautiful.

In my opinion, Justin Timberlake's version is what Simon would call "self-indulgent."
    No one can touch Jeff Buckley's version. Now THAT is genius. I'm pretty familiar with it and I agree - that was either Buckley's or a Guitar Hero-worthy cover, but it sure is hard to copy Jeff's final "Hallelujah..." - it never fails to move me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3833304;
    While I agree that Simon was usually much more critical of JHud than I thought she deserved, he didn't always slam her. When she sang "Circle of Life," he complimented her. Not a glowing compliment - he said that for the first time in the competition, she proved why she was in the top 12. And then I think he followed up with "Well done," or something like that. The following week he repeated that her "Circle of Life" performance was exceptional and he wouldn't be surprised if she had become a front-runner.

Also, Simon isn't the one who voted her off the show! The problem was there were 2 other divas to split the votes with - plus the song she sang that night just didn't suit her (IMO). But out of all the contestants from season 3, who has been the most successful? Sort of like how Daughtry is more successful than anyone else from season 4. Finishing #1 doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

There was a young lady named Carrie from season 4. Daughtry was Season 5.

FORT Fanatic

The bottome, line, imo, is---that throughout the years Simon has made it clear that he is no fan (at least initially), of the larger girls in the competition, based solely on appearance.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;3833832;
    The bottome, line, imo, is---that throughout the years Simon has made it clear that he is no fan (at least initially), of the larger girls in the competition, based solely on appearance.

Absolutely agree. You can see how he beams at those girls who fit his attractiveness criteria even before they start to sing

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;3833832;
    At the same time, Simon loves Loves LOVES Susan Boyle. (Who can forget his angelic smile as she sang her audition.) So, yes, he loves the pretty girls - but super dramatic telly and million dollar sales trump the pretty.

What happen to the girl with with the facial disorder? I missed one night, So my guess is she did not get into the top 24 the first night. I am so bad at learning names, after they get get into top 24 I can name them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamom12;3833914;
    What happen to the girl with with the facial disorder? I missed one night, So my guess is she did not get into the top 24 the first night. I am so bad at learning names, after they get get into top 24 I can name them.
    Her name is Shelby. Sadly, she didn't make top 24. I wish she had, and many other posters felt the same way. She was better than some who did and was a little different, in my opionion.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3833936;
    Her name is Shelby. Sadly, she didn't make top 24. I wish she had, and many other posters felt the same way. She was better than some who did and was a little different, in my opionion.
    Yes, that was sad when she got cut.

Isn't Shelby going to be on Ellen's show this coming week? Ellen is a huge fan of Shelby and invited her on the show. I read that somewhere on the forum.

+ Reply to Thread