+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 1/27 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 1/27 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Someone's sob story was a blood blister? LMFAO

FORT Fogey

Christian Spear had cancer as a child. She's got a voice. But not particularly to my liking. She is 16. She should wait. But... they are sending her through.

This girl can sing, I'll give her that! Now I don't ever want to hear about her past again.

I can definitely relate to Kirsten. I have my favorite for this year. Of course her story touches me very deeply after losing my grandson to leukemia last year.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3810562;
    When Simon leaves, I nominate Neil Patrick Harris to take his place.
    And I want to replace Kara with Shania Twain.

Some interesting voices tonight. Plus I got to watch NPH. I was a big Doogie fan as a kid. I liked the blonde who had her little brother with her. I don't like her bleach blonde hair, though, so I hope someone gives her a little bit of a makeover before Hollywood. I still like the bridge jumping girl from the first week. I agree with everyone about how frustrating it is not to see at least a little bit of the people who make it through. I get that the hook for this part of the process is watching the delusional tone deafs (and I feel dirty for buying into it) but there is a lot of filler that could be put to better use with a montage of the golden ticket holders.
    And Joe Jonas? I hope they didn't pay him to be on tonight, because if they did, they were robbed. He didn't add a single thing!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Thirty-one Dallas contestants got golden tickets to Hollywood. But since the producers believe that not all contestants are created equal, here's the folks that they want you to remember:

Full pimp package
    This group gets a full audition, lots of judge reaction and discussion, as well as a behind-the-scenes visit with their families and some sit-down time with Ryan. And they need all that screen time to tell their sad, sad stories.
    • Lloyd Thomas – “Overjoyed” Airport dockworker; Ruben 2.0?
    • Erica Rhodes - “Free Your Mind” - Barney girl or pleather whip girl; take your pick.
    • Dave Pittman – “Bring it Home to Me” - Tourettes guy
    • Christian Spears - "All I Can Do is Cry” - 16 year old cancer survivor

Half Pimp
    These hopefuls get sit-down time with Ryan. Most also have their families in tow at the call-back audition standing outside the door primed for tearful reactions.
    • Maegen Wright – “To Make You Feel My Love” - Parents divorced; little brother waits outside the door; Simon liked her casual look.

Audition Only
    No camera crew visit, and no sit-down time with Ryan. But we do see most of their audition and lots of positive comments from the judges.
    • Kimberly Carver – (Original Song) - Simon says:"This isn't Jazz TV!" Sorry, Simon, you've been pwned by NPH and the rest of the panel!
    • Toddrick Hall – (Original Song) - Did A Color Purple with Fantasia; effortless jazz voice doing a song about the judges.

Quote of the night
    Joe Jonas: " " [crickets]

FORT Fogey

Christian sang Etta? Nice!

Didn't care for anyone but the dock worker...funny guy. Oh, and I enjoyed the old Barney footage...sadly, I did recognize that girl from when my oldest daughter watched the show. I sure hope they're keeping some really awesome performers under wraps until Hollywood week.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I'm sure this is going to be all over the place tomorrow, so might as well interject it now. RealityLovesMe brought this background info up in the Season 9 spoiler thread, but I don't want to send people over there, so I'll just add the info here.

Toddrick Hall, who did that jazzy, funny song about the judges, is in the middle of a mess, resulting from a touring production called Oz, The Musical which was scheduled to arrive in Nashville. The show picked up a chorus of children in each city to play the munchkins. Parents were charged a fee to cover costumes and booking the hall. According to News Channel 5 of Nashville:
    NewsChannel 5 Investigates discovered that show producers charged each family anywhere from $50 to $75 to perform in what they billed as an updated musical version of the "Wizard of Oz." After collecting the money from parents, the producers suddenly canceled the tour.
    The full story is in the link. Just a note for folks not that familiar with theater, while it's normal in community theater for performers to chip in for costumes and such, that never happens in a legit touring show. Apparently Toddrick was the director (not a producer). The producers took the money and went out of business. If Toddrick was a hired hand then I don't see this as being his fault, but the longer he is on Idol the bigger this stink is probably going to get.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 01-27-2010 at 11:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread