+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1/13 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 1/13 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3796395;
    Wow... what a very cool backstory. I wish they would have shared a little bit of that!
    Me too. I actually hope he has some success out of this appearance. What a great guy! I can't get that song out of my head

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Wow. Thanks for posting that about the General.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3796395;
    Wow... what a very cool backstory. I wish they would have shared a little bit of that!
    Hopefully they will when they invite him back for the finale.

Thanks for that information Unklescott.

I think this show may have finally found a true American Idol.

What I loved about his performance was that FINALLY an adult addressed the young hip hoppers with words some of us have been thinking all along. Now reading his back story, I can see where he gets the courage to do so. He has stood up to worse evil than young men who think its cool to be dressed like gangstas. Good for the General and I look forward to seeing him on the Finale.

I think this show may have finally found a true American Idol
    I think so too, mushybrain.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain;3796249;
    General Larry Platt just made himself and his song famous.

"Pants on the ground! Pants on the ground! Lookin' like a FOOL with your pants on the ground! With the gold in your mouth. Hat turned sideways. Pants hit the ground. Call yourself a cool cat. Lookin' like a fool. Walkin' downtown with your PANTS on the ground! Giddyup! Hey, get your pants off the ground!"
    Thanks for posting the words. The 7th graders came in this morning singing it and I quickly copied, pasted, and printed this and handed them out. Got my cool points for the day.
    Count your blessings!

Pants on the Ground

Thanks to Brian over at USA Today, here is some biographical Info on the Pants on the Ground Guy.

Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

General Larry Platt: A closer look
    We all got a good chuckle Wednesday out of General Larry Platt and his Pants on the Ground song. Entertaining as he was, I couldn't help but wonder why the American Idol producers saved the last spot of the show for a 62-year-old guy with a funny song.
    Now I think I know.
    Take a look at the photograph on the home page of the Civil Rights Veterans Movement website. See the young man on the left, looking directly into the camera? That's Larry Platt, age 16.
    "We had come by bus in 1963 to a church in Savannah, Georgia to plan a march to desegregate the city," Platt writes. "Reverend Hosea Williams and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were our leaders. That particular planned march was canceled and we were singing to raise our spirits before returning home."
    Platt worked with the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Georgia, organizing sit-ins in the South.
    He was beaten during the Bloody Sunday march from Selma, Ala., to Montgomery.
    He got his nickname, "General," from the Rev. Hosea Williams because of his heroic efforts on behalf of the civil-rights movement.
    The Georgia General Assembly proclaimed Sept. 4, 2001, Larry Platt Day in Atlanta, because of "his great energy and commitment to equality and the protection of the innocent and for his outstanding service to the Atlanta community and the citizens of Georgia."
    He remains a community activist in the Atlanta area and recently has become known for publicly protesting foreclosures.
    If anybody in that Atlanta crowd deserved his 15 minutes of fame on national television, it was Larry Platt.
    When he tells you to get your pants off the ground, you'd best listen.

Re: Pants on the Ground

Larry should do commercials/endorsements for a company that manufactures belts.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Thanks for the info, Razor! The General is quite a character!

FORT Fogey

He had me laughing! I usually don't laugh during these episodes. The last time I laughed like this was with the Panther guy.

+ Reply to Thread