+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1/13 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 1/13 Show Discussion **spoilers**

General Larry Platt just made himself and his song famous.

"Pants on the ground! Pants on the ground! Lookin' like a FOOL with your pants on the ground! With the gold in your mouth. Hat turned sideways. Pants hit the ground. Call yourself a cool cat. Lookin' like a fool. Walkin' downtown with your PANTS on the ground! Giddyup! Hey, get your pants off the ground!"

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

A classic in the making.

I like the country girl who sang Wagon Wheel. But Boston had better auditions.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3796114;
    "Pants on the Ground"? Not as good as that Korean (?) guy's "We Are One" (or something)!
    Oh, I LOVED the general! I can't quit singing "Pants on the ground! Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!" His is one of my all-time favorite funny auditions. He just has to be on the finale.

The guy you are thinking of is Renaldo Lapuz, and the song is "You Are My Brother."

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3796037;
    Good Lord, could they get anymore stereotypical in their depiction of southerners?
    ummm...no! Bless their little hearts!

I loved the General! That was a hoot.
    Last edited by NCLurker; 01-14-2010 at 07:59 AM.

I found this on General Larry Platt. What an interesting man. Keep up the good work sir!

General Larry Platt: A closer look - Idol Chatter: American Idol News, Rumors, & Information

We all got a good chuckle Wednesday out of General Larry Platt and his Pants on the Ground song. Entertaining as he was, I couldn't help but wonder why the American Idol producers saved the last spot of the show for a 62-year-old guy with a funny song.

Now I think I know.

Take a look at the photograph on the home page of the Civil Rights Veterans Movement website. See the young man on the left, looking directly into the camera? That's Larry Platt, age 16.

"We had come by bus in 1963 to a church in Savannah, Georgia to plan a march to desegregate the city," Platt writes. "Reverend Hosea Williams and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were our leaders. That particular planned march was canceled and we were singing to raise our spirits before returning home."

Platt worked with the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Georgia, organizing sit-ins in the South.

He was beaten during the Bloody Sunday march from Selma, Ala., to Montgomery.

He got his nickname, "General," from the Rev. Hosea Williams because of his heroic efforts on behalf of the civil-rights movement.

The Georgia General Assembly proclaimed Sept. 4, 2001, Larry Platt Day in Atlanta, because of "his great energy and commitment to equality and the protection of the innocent and for his outstanding service to the Atlanta community and the citizens of Georgia."

He remains a community activist in the Atlanta area and recently has become known for publicly protesting foreclosures.

If anybody in that Atlanta crowd deserved his 15 minutes of fame on national television, it was Larry Platt.

When he tells you to get your pants off the ground, you'd best listen.

Very cool, Unk.

The General is getting airtime around here. A local station put some music behind his singing from last night and played it on the radio.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3796353;
    Very cool, Unk.

The General is getting airtime around here. A local station put some music behind his singing from last night and played it on the radio.
    I'm in Richmond, VA, and he just hit our airwaves too! WTG General!

In case you missed his performance here it is.

YouTube - American Idol Pants on the Ground

Wow... what a very cool backstory. I wish they would have shared a little bit of that!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread