+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Because we're going to need one.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Ellen Lee DeGeneres (born January 26, 1958) is an American stand-up comedienne, television hostess and actress. She hosts the syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and is also a judge on American Idol, having joined the show in its ninth season.

She has hosted both the Academy Awards and the Primetime Emmys. As a film actress, she starred in Mr. Wrong, appeared in EDtv and The Love Letter, and provided the voice of Dory in the Disney-Pixar's animated film Finding Nemo. She also starred in two television sitcoms, Ellen from 1994 to 1998 and The Ellen Show from 2001 to 2002. In 1997, during the fourth season of Ellen, she came out publicly as a lesbian in an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show. Shortly afterwards, her character Ellen Morgan also came out to a therapist played by Winfrey and the series went on to explore various LGBT issues as well as the coming out process. She has won twelve Emmys and numerous awards for her work and charitable efforts.

On September 9, 2009, it was confirmed that DeGeneres would replace Paula Abdul as a judge of the ninth season of American Idol. Her role will start only after the contestant auditions. DeGeneres also reportedly signed a contract to be a judge on the show for at least five seasons."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

I'm really not too thrilled about her being on this show. I like Ellen and all but not for AI.

I thought she was terrific. Of course, I might change my tune as her "tics" become more apparent over the next few shows.

But, I thought she injected some much needed humor into the show (I never realized how humorless the show was), she wasn't overindulgent with her opinions and she wasn't afraid to be critical.

I loved her and am glad she is on the show.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I really thought she did a great job and added a lot of humor to the show. I think they were all still a little uncomfortable with her last night. I think as she hits her groove - she should be a great addition.

I liked that she wasn't afraid to be honest yet wasn't cruel about it.

I like what she is adding to the mix.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3823768;
    I like what she is adding to the mix.
    She was honest ("Sexy and scary - it's a fine line.") She was funny and put the kids at ease. There was none of the Paula / Victoria Beckham sham compliments ("You look lovely up there.")

Of course, last night was edited down from umpteen hours of 181 auditions, and I'm sure they want to put Ellen in the best light. But she held her own, unlike Kara's tentative debut last year. We won't really know how she affects the panel until the show goes live for the semi-finals.

The question is, what will Simon do now that he's lost his comic foil? Couldn't tell from last night's show - he looked exhausted. I can't imagine him playing footsie with Ellen. And I can't see him and Ryan doing their "You're gay! No, you're gay!" routine with Ellen standing by.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I thought it was okay for her first time on the panel. They needed someone who could be kind without sounding sappy/drunk (like Paula often did).

I know that Ellen LIKES music . . . she knows what's current & popular. The musical guests on her show are from one end of the spectrum to the other. No lack of variety there.

If she can offer only her opinion on what she liked and didn't like without being technical, that's fine by me. When you break it down, that's all the rest of the panel does too.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I love Ellen. I think she is a great addition. She is taking it far more seriously than I thought she would, and I was glad to see that. These kids' lives are on the line and they deserve some respect - esp. at this stage of the competition.

I think it's o.k. to have a non-music person on the show. Afterall, that's what most of us consumers are.

I haven't watched a single episode all the way through this season and I only tuned in last night because of Ellen. I saw the girl who has the baby boy. She was pretty amazing, I think.

Sidenote: I am just always struck by how these kids say that there life is going to change just by virtue of making it to Hollywood. It is soooooo premature for them to start thinking like that. Most of the Final 10 don't even have huge careers after the show is over. Few from Hollywood week are even remembered.

I suppose the adrenalin and hope is unavoidable.

She just wasn't working for me at all last night. Her expressions seemed to vacillate between fear and anger.
    The dynamic, for me at least, seems totally off.
    I am hoping things improve.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast