+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3850311;
    I don't need anybody to "advise" me how to vote. I am pretty sure I know what I like and don't like

ITA! This is especially true when it's been said (quite recently, I might add) that what we hear on our televisions is different from what the judges hear in the studio. Just because it sounds good from where Simon is sitting doesn't mean it sounds good when it reaches my couch.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3850349;
    I like Ellen and I think she's made the show more fun to watch. Way big improvement over ditzy Paula, in my opinion.
    I agree completely. I don't need anyone to tell me what Ellen's role is on the show because it's blatantly obvious, and because Ellen herself has openly stated that she is there as a fan and to give her critique without the sometime laborsome technical knowledge of singing. I honestly don't care whether singers on occasion hit a flat note if their overall singing is enjoyable and their performance is good. It's like going to a movie with my friend who was trained in film editing... I really could not care less about the chromakey.

I also don't need the judges to tell me how to vote. And 8 seasons now should be proof that the general viewing public rebels against judges' comments anyways.

I am THRILLED that Paula is gone, but dismayed that someone felt the need to allow Kara to switch into that stupid slot and personality. I didn't mind her last year... this year I'm ready to mute the show and turn away when the mic goes to her.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3850410;
    I am THRILLED that Paula is gone, but dismayed that someone felt the need to allow Kara to switch into that stupid slot and personality. I didn't mind her last year... this year I'm ready to mute the show and turn away when the mic goes to her.
    DITTO!

FORT Fogey

ellen's "bit" at the beginning was such a poke at Kara that I laughed out loud.

It did keep Kara from simpering for about 45 minutes...but then she caved and we saw a repeat of "Oh you big and handsome brute" behavior.

Oh Ellen.

How could you NOT know what the song "Smile" is supposed to be about? Come. On.

Paige stank at it, but not for the reason you blathered about.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Here are the lyrics to Smile. Doesn't sound all that happy to me.
    "Smile"

Smile, though your heart is aching
    Smile, even though it's breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky
    You'll get by...

If you smile
    With your fear and sorrow
    Smile and maybe tomorrow
    You'll find that life is still worthwhile
    If you just...

Light up your face with gladness
    Hide every trace of sadness
    Although a tear may be ever so near
    That's the time you must keep on trying
    Smile, what's the use of crying
    If you just...

Smile, though your heart is aching
    Smile, even though it's breaking
    When there are clouds in the sky
    You'll get by...

If you smile
    Through your fear and sorrow
    Smile and maybe tomorrow
    If you just smile...

That's the time you must keep on trying
    Smile, what's the use of crying
    If you just smile
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oh, I don't know. It's not a happy song, certainly. But it's not supposed to be depressing either. It's about getting over depression, by acknowledging that even though horrible things are a a part of it, life can still be worth doing if you give it some effort. I don't remember exactly what Ellen said now, but I do think Paige's version was dreary in a way the song is not meant to be.

However, lyrics are subjective, it's different for different people, etc.

And it should be obvious to anyone. Smile isn't a happy song, its a melancholy one. Smile through the tears, basically. Its a hopeful song, true, but far from "happy".

It kind of says that Ellen wasn't listening (and maybe didn't really know the song from outside the show).

Paige sang it flat. Neither happy NOR sad. So she not only got it wrong by Ellen's standards, she got it wrong by the actual correct ones.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-10-2010 at 05:25 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3852088;
    And it should be obvious to anyone. Smile isn't a happy song, its a melancholy one. Smile through the tears, basically. Its a hopeful song, true, but far from "happy".

It kind of says that Ellen wasn't listening (and maybe didn't really know the song from outside the show).
    As I recall (and I haven't rewatched it since last night) Ellen said that the song should be inspirational, not depressing. Which is true. I don't think she ever said that the song should be happy.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I just re-watched it, Ellen said that Smile was supposed to be inspiring and uplifting, but instead it was sad and heavy.

+ Reply to Thread