+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;3833176;
    Ellen, had Angela Martin on "The Ellen Show" this morning. She talked about her personal struggles and sang. Kara is writing a song for her and they are going to produce her in the studio.
    Awww... that's sweet.
    Very nice of Ellen and Kara to take a direct hand in helping her.
    (I also thought it was nice how Kara sat with Angela while they were breaking the bad news to her).
    Still think Angela should try again next year.

I think Ellen is great for the show and the ratings back that up.
    I enjoyed some of the wackiness from Paula but at times it was like watching a train wreck. I am missing her more than expected (but not doing any weeping over it, either). As for her being so knowledgeable about music, I find that funny.
    I could do without Kara, despite her being an industry insider with "know how". I find her to be narcissistic at times.
    Just deliriously happy we don't have to see Victoria Beckham any more.
    Loved Kristen Chenowith and think she could really add to the panel if we could get rid of Kara next year.
    BTW - I don't see too many Kara fans online or in my circle of friends. Most just tolerate her.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3833181;
    Still think Angela should try again next year.
    she can't, she's 28 right now.
    You are who you are...and I wouldn't want to change a thing...- Madonna

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3824243;
    Will do! Here are things to which I responded positively:
    • As Jexter said, she took the competition and her job seriously. She took notes. She listened to the performers and what they had to say. In discussions at the judges table she stood up for some, and dismissed others ("...she's going to turn out to be a pain..."). She didn't turn it into a stand-up routine. And, really, all the things I list below are just examples of this attitude that instantly set her apart from the clubby, back-slapping, moustache-drawing, banter that drained valuable time away from the contestants last season.
    • She gave constructive critiques. Example: She told Vanessa Wolfe that while she has a unique talent, her nerves were her undoing and she needed to get a hold of that to grow as a performer.
    • If someone was bad, she told them so. Yet at the same time, she never did so maliciously and often added something constructive to the mix. To Skiboski: "Don't frighten your audience -- don't get so intense. Sexy and scary; it's a fine line." Sometimes she would mix the negatives with humor. For example to one girl she said: "It was crazy, I think, in a bad way," then, "You should put some shoes on, dear -- it's filthy here. Hollywood is a disgusting town." This is in contrast to the usual way the panel handles poor performances with either bland "That wasn't good", blaming the song choice instead of the poor execution, or a witty put-down quip. And none of these give the contestant a clue as to how to move forward.
    • She used her humor to put the contestants at ease. Jokes were not made at their expense. And there was actually not that much joking going on. In this way I think she carried forward the best part about Paula - the way Paula understood the process from the contestants point of view and tried to make the journey a little easier.

In all these ways she is different from Simon, Kara, and Randy.

Now some will look at this list as examples of what they didn't like about Ellen, I am sure. Part of it probably comes down to whether you think that the Idol judging process completely broke down in Season 8 (as I do), or whether you like the judging table exactly the way it was.

My thoughts exactly. I love watching Ellen on this show, and do not miss Paula at all. I would cringe whenever she started stumbling over her words and couldn't get her thoughts out. Part of being a judge on this show means you have to get your point accross succinctly - who wants to have endless idiotic banter between judges when you'd rather have more time with the contestants? That schtick between Paula and Simon was uncomfortable to watch. I'm not a Paula basher, and in fact liked how she encouraged some contestants, but I think this new panel, as a group, will bring the judging up a few notches.
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 02-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Ellen is commenting on being booed in her twitter feeds. I am wondering if this will be something she can get used to or something that becomes a recurring thing.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Ellen is "everyman" with comedic sense. Ellen is a fan, but has knowledge about "show business" if you will and she's straight forward. She tempers the negative with humor and usually something constructive as at this juncture, most of the contestants have some talent and potential. I think she's a keeper.

Kara is another story for another thread.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;3849455;
    Ellen is "everyman" with comedic sense. Ellen is a fan, but has knowledge about "show business" if you will and she's straight forward. She tempers the negative with humor and usually something constructive as at this juncture, most of the contestants have some talent and potential. I think she's a keeper.

Kara is another story for another thread.
    I think so too. However, I think the show needs to market her "role" on the show just a little differently. They plopped her in there as if she had the music industry experience to warrant the role, and everyone was/is left scratching their heads going "huh?!"

All the show needs to do is tell us, the audience, why she is there and what makes her a credible judge. Personally, I think they need a "layman" on the panel, and Ellen has enough experience in other areas of showbiz to make her a good judge, but we need to hear it.

We'll buy it if they sell it (IMO).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3850279;
    I think so too. However, I think the show needs to market her "role" on the show just a little differently. They plopped her in there as if she had the music industry experience to warrant the role, and everyone was/is left scratching their heads going "huh?!"

All the show needs to do is tell us, the audience, why she is there and what makes her a credible judge. Personally, I think they need a "layman" on the panel, and Ellen has enough experience in other areas of showbiz to make her a good judge, but we need to hear it.

We'll buy it if they sell it (IMO).
    I don't think there is any place for an average joe on the American Idol panel. The average joe is the voter. The judges advise us about how to vote.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3850290;
    I don't think there is any place for an average joe on the American Idol panel. The average joe is the voter. The judges advise us about how to vote.

I don't need anybody to "advise" me how to vote. I am pretty sure I know what I like and don't like

I like Ellen and I think she's made the show more fun to watch. Way big improvement over ditzy Paula, in my opinion.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread