+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

FORT Fogey

Re: Ellen DeGeneres, Judge

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3824089;
    For those who are saying that Ellen is doing a good job, I would like to know an example of something she did that added value to the panel. I didn't see anything.
    Will do! Here are things to which I responded positively:
    • As Jexter said, she took the competition and her job seriously. She took notes. She listened to the performers and what they had to say. In discussions at the judges table she stood up for some, and dismissed others ("...she's going to turn out to be a pain..."). She didn't turn it into a stand-up routine. And, really, all the things I list below are just examples of this attitude that instantly set her apart from the clubby, back-slapping, moustache-drawing, banter that drained valuable time away from the contestants last season.
    • She gave constructive critiques. Example: She told Vanessa Wolfe that while she has a unique talent, her nerves were her undoing and she needed to get a hold of that to grow as a performer.
    • If someone was bad, she told them so. Yet at the same time, she never did so maliciously and often added something constructive to the mix. To Skiboski: "Don't frighten your audience -- don't get so intense. Sexy and scary; it's a fine line." Sometimes she would mix the negatives with humor. For example to one girl she said: "It was crazy, I think, in a bad way," then, "You should put some shoes on, dear -- it's filthy here. Hollywood is a disgusting town." This is in contrast to the usual way the panel handles poor performances with either bland "That wasn't good", blaming the song choice instead of the poor execution, or a witty put-down quip. And none of these give the contestant a clue as to how to move forward.
    • She used her humor to put the contestants at ease. Jokes were not made at their expense. And there was actually not that much joking going on. In this way I think she carried forward the best part about Paula - the way Paula understood the process from the contestants point of view and tried to make the journey a little easier.

In all these ways she is different from Simon, Kara, and Randy.

Now some will look at this list as examples of what they didn't like about Ellen, I am sure. Part of it probably comes down to whether you think that the Idol judging process completely broke down in Season 8 (as I do), or whether you like the judging table exactly the way it was.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 02-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.

I liked her alot!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3824243;
    Part of it probably comes down to whether you think that the Idol judging process completely broke down in Season 8 (as I do), or whether you like the judging table exactly the way it was.
    Do I think the judging process broke down? Heck yeah. Should it have continued the way it was? Heck no. Is Ellen the answer? Not in my opinion. I would prefer to see a person with knowledge of the recording industry judging who is to advance in this competition. Like I've said numerous times, I like Ellen, I watch her show, I watched her sitcom when it was on. I just don't agree with her being a judge on this show.

I have to say I am an Ellen fan, and I thought she did a very good job...certainly much better than I was expecting...

I am enjoying her. She is more relevant than Paula. But I do miss Paula's silliness.

I enjoyed seeing her on AI. She seems to be honest and not afraid to be critical like Simon, but she delivered her thoughts with humor, unlike Simon who's a lot more harsher. I'm loving having Simon and Ellen in the judging panel.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I thought Ellen was fantastic and I don't miss Paula one iota. I'd much rather have my kids watching Ellen than Paula with her questionable is she/isn't she drunk or high on something.

When Ellen first announced that she'd be the fourth judge, she said that she was a huge fan of AI and that her voice would be the fan's voice. And I think, so far, she's definitely lived up to that--she called Skiiboski out on his acting creepy but she did it in a friendly way. Others, she gave constructive criticism to or gave genuine praise. I'm excited to have her join the judges...it's about time another of the judges has a personality other than just Simon. TopCatDC, great list--ITA.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

As long as she doesn't continue her "sadistic" act as Simon called it. I hated that she did the step forward, step sideways bit a second time. The first time it was cute because it was unexpected. The second time it was annoying and out of place. I've learned from her show that she repeats bits she thinks are funny, and on AI that could get old really fast.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3827989;
    I am enjoying her. She is more relevant than Paula. But I do miss Paula's silliness.
    Please explain.

Ellen, had Angela Martin on "The Ellen Show" this morning. She talked about her personal struggles and sang. Kara is writing a song for her and they are going to produce her in the studio.

+ Reply to Thread