+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: AI9 Spoilers

FORT Regular

Re: AI9 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3780819;
    Jamar Rogers tried out again this season and then dropped out! (NO!)

Any idea why? And where did you find this out? I'm really bummed by this news. I still say it should have been him instead of what's his name last season!

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

I'm really not happy about Ellen being on the show. I didn't like her as a guest judge on SYTYCD, and I'm afraid she will be the same on AI. She is a good comedian and a fine talk show host, but her humor isn't appropriate for a judge on a competition show like this. Part of being a comedian is bringing attention to your self, that's not a fault, that's just part of the job, and that is what she did on SYTYCD, she cracked jokes and brought the attention to herself, rather than to the contestants.

Ellen also doesn't have the background to even qualify as a judge for AI. There was a lot of talk last year about Kara not being qualified, and while I am not a Kara fan, she is far more qualified than Ellen, so I don't understand why there are not the same comments directed towards Ellen this year as there were towards Kara last year. Ellen would be a good judge on a show like Last Comic Standing, that's her world.

Paula certainly did ramble, and was at times uncomfortable to watch, but she also was far more qualified than Ellen is to judge a singing contest. Thought I do agree that Paula should have taken Nigel Lythgoe up on his offer to guest judge on SYTYC, she is definitely qualified to judge a dance competition.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by photoshopgrl;3788161;

Any idea why? And where did you find this out? I'm really bummed by this news. I still say it should have been him instead of what's his name last season!
    I am not sure why. I know that he was initially supposed to be working on a record deal so he wasn't supposed to audition this year. I was shocked to learn he auditioned in Chicago. I guess he never got signed. I hope the reason he withdrew was because he had some better offer. He's a smart guy. Maybe he realized that this was a girl's year to win.

I am also disappointed in Ellen as a judge. She was horrible on SYTYCD. She offered nothing but intolerable jokes. I think Simon is trying to ruin AI to make room for X-factor. Anyway, I thought Paula really stepped it up last season. She made more sense than Randy did. Kara was clearly the weak link. And 4 judges just did not work well at all last season. Why would they try it again? And Why do we have to sit and listen to Ellen's opinion? What a waste of time.
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 01-07-2010 at 11:11 PM.

I'm going to miss not seeing Paula judge this season. Ever since American Idol began, she was part of the show. It's not going to be the same.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3788576;
    Maybe he realized that this was a girl's year to win.
    This is true. I would find it really hard to imagine a guy winning 3 seasons in a row. Maybe he'll come back next season!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by StarryElf;3788557;
    I'm really not happy about Ellen being on the show. Part of being a comedian is bringing attention to your self,...and that is what she did on SYTYCD, she cracked jokes and brought the attention to herself, rather than to the contestants.

Ellen also doesn't have the background to even qualify as a judge for AI. There was a lot of talk last year about Kara not being qualified, and while I am not a Kara fan, she is far more qualified than Ellen, so I don't understand why there are not the same comments directed towards Ellen this year as there were towards Kara last year.
    StarryElf, you have a good point about Ellen's background. No, she can't judge as a music industry professional. And I have mixed feelings (explained below) about her SYTYCD appearance.

But on the other hand, we have Simon / Randy / Kara to provide the music industry perspective. If there has to be a fourth judge, why not throw in a different point of view? I don't think Ellen is getting the same flack that Kara did for this exact reason - Ellen is not making any claims as an music professional, where as Kara does. (Of course Ellen will get her own AI flak, especially from the folks who miss Paula.)

As for her SYTYCD experience, I thought some of it was funny, some of it was unnecessary, and a couple of times I was glad she was there. (Like when she stood up for Evan after Simon bashed him for the umpteenth time about his hangdog looks, and when she was respectful and just said how moved she was by the Breast Cancer Dance.)

Dance judging is also a different animal because there are like actual objective criteria for dance (kind of like in Olympic figure skating), as well as the artistic component to which anyone can speak. So in that sense, she was really out of her element there. On Idol, the whole process is much more subjective. Just about anyone feels "qualified" to voice their opinion on an Idol performance. (Lord knows, we do every week here at FORT!) So, in that sense I think she will have a bit more leeway at the Idol table than at SYTYCD.

Now. About Paula and her quaifications. Point taken - she had a good resume coming in to Idol. However, after doing the job for eight years, I think we can leave her resume in the file cabinent, and just judge her on her actual job preformance - which (in my opinion) was cringe-worthy. For me, her critiques fell into two catagories. They were gobbledegook ("David Archuleta, I just want to squeeze your head off and dangle it from my rear view mirror..."). Or, especially this year, they were obviously scripted ("Fortune favors the brave and you will dance in the path of greatness" - a mangled verse from Homer's Illiad). So, I agree that Paula improved last year. But for me, she personally wasn't adding anything valuable.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3788576;
    I am also disappointed in Ellen as a judge. She was horrible on SYTYCD. She offered nothing but intolerable jokes. I think Simon is trying to ruin AI to make room for X-factor. Anyway, I thought Paula really stepped it up last season. She made more sense than Randy did.
    You have a very interesting theory there about Simon being an X-Factor "mole" inside AI. That may or may not be true - but the whole thing is enormously complicated by Simon's relationship to the two shows.

Simon is exec producer on X-Factor, and the show is owned by his company SYCO. Fremantle Media is a co-producer of X-Factor. Also, SYCO has a music deal with Sony BMG. (SYCO's artists account for more than 70% of Sony's music sales in the UK.) Simon now wants to bring X-Factor to FOX.

Fox is also his employer on American Idol (i.e. Simon's contract as a judge is with FOX, not 19E.) American Idol is owned by 19 Entertainment (Simon Fuller's company) and co-produced with Fremantle Media. (Sounding familiar?) Music rights for the show (especially the iTunes Downloads) are handled by SYCO through their relationship with Sony BMG. Finally, in addition to his contract with FOX, Simon has a contract with Fremantle as a producing partner on day-to-day Idol operations. In other words, Simon is not just hired talent on Idol, he is also a producer.

In short, every partner in both X-Factor and Idol is connected through Simon Cowell (even though Cowell owns X-Factor, while Fuller owns Idol.) So even if Simon leaves as a judge and as a producer on AI, he will still be a participant in Idol because SYCO is still involved.

That is the long way around to my point - Simon has a vested interest in Idol succeeding whether he is appearing on the show or not. That's not to say he wouldn't throw the show, but just to point out that there are other incentives at work.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 01-08-2010 at 01:31 AM.

FORT Fogey

Yeah that does seem pretty complicated. I figure he is wanting to do the same thing he did in the UK. X-factor would replace American Idol. Think about it. Paula is off AI and could judge X-factor if Simon wants. And Simon will also be free to host. All that would be missing is Randy and he is easily replaced. Meanwhile, American Idol is going down the tubes. There are 4 judges for no reason, Ellen could destroy the format of the show. Nobody really has respect for any of the judges anyway. Simon has more and more influence on the show every year, it seems. Now it seems like he is burning Idol to the ground and he is going to build X-factor on its foundation. He's done it before... I'm just saying. I don't think there is room for both even if they air on different networks at different times.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3789501;
    Yeah that does seem pretty complicated. I figure he is wanting to do the same thing he did in the UK. X-factor would replace American Idol. Think about it. Paula is off AI and could judge X-factor if Simon wants. ....
    From your mouth to god's ears! BREAKING NEWS... or at least breaking rumor. I just posted this over in Paula's thread.

Paula Abdul has allegedly inked a $4.5 million contract to bring her loopy commentary to the judges panel on an American version of Simon’s hit UK talent show, The X Factor.
    You totally called it!

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

The X-Factor theories are probably dead on. I had read something about Simon wanting a US X-Factor about this a while back, then forgot about it. But Simon did pretty much trash Pop Idol in the UK to make room for X-Factor. It all makes sense. If Simon left AI to do an American version of X-Factor, and had Paula with him there, watchers would make the switch. There are hundreds of qualified artists who would jump at the chance for that third judge spot, Simon could have his pick of some big names, just to add to the hype for it.

That note about Paula signing a deal for Simon's show all but nails it. Bye bye American Idol, hello American X-Factor. I'm guessing two seasons of American Idol left, this one coming up, and one more without Simon that will have dismal ratings and then the show will be cancelled.

+ Reply to Thread