+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Paula's replacement should be...

FORT Fogey

Re: Paula's replacement should be...

I was shocked at first with this announcement, and while the comments are all over the board, I am happy with this addition. No, Ellen's not a musical talent, but finally we might have OUR opinions on the judge's table. She was not great on SYTYCD, but maybe she's learned from that experience. She's had a lot of interaction with the contestants, and I think she'll really be able to give them a LOT of great advice about the entertainment industry in general - all aspects, not just the solo music artist area (not all of them will shine in that arena even though they are on this show, and she can discuss various options with them).

The other area she can speak to is handling the industry when it has you DOWN, she's been up, down, criticized, ostracized, and each time come back stronger and better than before. Paula couldn't speak to the toughness and ingenuity that is needed to succeed long-term in the business, Ellen can.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697945;
    For me, both shows (AI and SYTYCD) are about the kids competing and she made it about herself. I thought she took it too far and I thought it was embarrassing. The other judges didn't look all that comfortable either, IMO. It felt like stunt casting for me and that's not why I watch SYTYCD. I mean, Mary Murphy annoys the hell out of me, but she knows dance. She can give a critique that goes beyond "Wow, that was really good," which is about as much as Ellen did.
    One important difference between singing and dancing is that singing is far more intuitive. Nearly everyone has a long history of listening to music, and most people can verbalize their reaction to a performance fairly well even if they don't have a musical background. Dance, on the other hand, is very difficult to talk about if you don't have some sort of technical background. Or, to put it another way, I think most folks on this forum could give meaningful feedback that is at least as interesting as what you see on TV. In many cases, I think it's far superior. I don't think the same can be said of a layman judging SYTYCD. I, for one, wouldn't have a clue what do say about dancing except perhaps pointing out whether they fell down or not.

Paula's replacement should be Kristen Chenowith, while Ellen should stay on in Kara's place. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by dianalo;3833195;
    Paula's replacement should be Kristen Chenowith, while Ellen should stay on in Kara's place. Problem solved
    Clever! I'll go along with that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678