+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Paula's replacement should be...

FORT Fogey

Re: Paula's replacement should be...

I can understand why people would object to a non-music industry judge like Ellen. But in practice, how is this worse than sitting through Paula's content-free remarks for the past eight years? Who here hasn't ragged on Paula's ridiculous scripted comments ("You dance in the path of greatness"), hissy fits at Simon, and feel-good damning with faint praise ("You look lovely tonight!").

Some folks are swearing off Idol? You think Ellen's comments are going to be worse than Paula's? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by BobDobolina;3697246;
    In terms of being "the nice judge", I think she has a shot to be more effective than Paula.
    Good point - I think this is probably going to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697259;
    She guest judged on one episode of SYTYCD last season. It was embarrassing
    In my opinion she was great; but I think it depends on your expectations. I wasn't expecting her to be a dancing guru - I was expecting color commentary and that's what she delivered. She also had the smarts to realize when to reign in the comedy when she saw something very moving, and was able to give credit where it was due.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3697233;
    Also, last season we had shows running overtime because the judges took too long to comment. I hope that won't happen again.
    Another good point. Many of us complained loudly last year that the focus of the show seemed to be shifting to the judges table (with the extra judge and less music - especially in the later rounds). I, too, hope that we're not boosting the yak factor at the front of the stage.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697197;
    ...I don't think she's funny at all, which probably doesn't matter, since she thinks she's funny enough for the both of us....
    ellen has made ME laugh since the first time i saw her on HBO back in the 80's. and apparently she makes a lot of other people laugh too.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3697221;
    ...I would have preferred that they replace Kara...
    i liked kara better than paula ... at least kara offered real input. i see ellen as representing the everyday person who will be buying these singers' cds.
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 09-10-2009 at 06:32 PM.

FORT Fogey

In thinking about this some more--it seems to me that Ellen can be a stand-in for all us ordinary non-musical/non-show biz people and give reactions that we might give.

She does this on her own show and IMO this is why she's so successful. She makes it seem as though she is "just one of us."

I can see her doing this successfully on Idol too.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3697502;
    i see ellen as representing the everyday person who will be buying these singers' cds.
    This is kind of how I look at it, too. I would love to see her do well on this show. I will miss Paula, but I think Ellen will be a good addition.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Hmm If I am competing in this show to advance my career I would not be happy with advice from a Comedian.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have no problem with Ellen but I just don't think that she fits in with the other 3 judges and because of that I think that things will be unbalanced. I don't see American Idol lasting very much longer after this new season.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3697328;
    In my opinion she was great; but I think it depends on your expectations. I wasn't expecting her to be a dancing guru - I was expecting color commentary and that's what she delivered. She also had the smarts to realize when to reign in the comedy when she saw something very moving, and was able to give credit where it was due.
    For me, both shows (AI and SYTYCD) are about the kids competing and she made it about herself. I thought she took it too far and I thought it was embarrassing. The other judges didn't look all that comfortable either, IMO. It felt like stunt casting for me and that's not why I watch SYTYCD. I mean, Mary Murphy annoys the hell out of me, but she knows dance. She can give a critique that goes beyond "Wow, that was really good," which is about as much as Ellen did.

I realize other people think she's funny and I actually used to like her stand-up. I guess I'm just tired of her schtick in the same way I'm bored with Billy Crystal. They're both just way too amused with themselves and I don't enjoy watching either of them any more.

It's clear that, whatever reason for Fox had for hiring Ellen, it had nothing to do with her musical knowledge. Honestly, I'd be annoyed if I was one of the other judges. I highly doubt she'll just sit back and not monopolize time. No, Paula was never terribly insightful, but she does have some semblance of a career in music.

This show is declining anyway, so I guess this was a way for Fox to try to save ratings. I'm sure a lot of her fans will tune in just to see her, but I'm also sure many fans of the show will be tuning out.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm not sure what to think about the Ellen casting. It is good publicity for the show to throw a nationally known personality into the mix; and anyone from the music industry would have had to clear their calendars for eight or nine months - which would be hard in that business. Ellen can continue the morning tapings of her show, much like Ryan does his morning radio show, so her main livelihood would not be compromised.

Is it stunt casting? Sure; but she must have shown the producers something they liked during her guest spot on SYTYCD. Since they decided to stay with a four person panel, they might as well cast for ratings - and who knows, she may actually be a good choice.

I am absolutely delighted. I love Ellen - she is down-to-earth, quick-witted and has unparalleled heart and enthusiasm. No, she's not part of the music industry but she will entertain and quite honestly I can't see where her comments would have any LESS value than Paula's. I could count on one hand the number of times that Paula gave a critique that sounded like something other than a great acid trip.

I also think this will draw some new viewers in - Ellen is tremendously popular and if she aces her first few appearances, this will give AI the shot in the arm that DioGuardi couldn't.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3697708;
    Hmm If I am competing in this show to advance my career I would not be happy with advice from a Comedian.

Not that I'd be happy taking advice from Paula either but at least she was in that industry long enough to know this and that....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast