+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Paula's replacement should be...

Re: Paula's replacement should be...

I think Ellen will do a great job. I liked her judging stint on SYTYCD. She got on my nerves a little bit with the way she kept straying off topic and some of her jokes got old really fast, however, she forever won me over with how quick she was to defend Evan when Nigel was so cruel to him.

She will bring a more "common" person voice to the panel and will say what we are all thinking at home, she's already shown that she isn't afraid to go against the herd, and I foresee her calling Simon and the others on their bull frequently.

Bonus....in a season of rambling comments and DAWGS that was HAWT!...it will be nice to have a coherent person on the panel. Plus her smile makes me smile, hope she smiles often.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 09-10-2009 at 01:36 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3697005;
    can't wait to see how she handles simon
    She's had him on ehr show seveal times and seems to be able to handle him just fine by not taking him very seriously.

I don't usually watch Idol except sometimes in the re-runs as "American Idol Rewind"--but I will definitely watch at least the first show Ellen is on just to see what happens.

IMO they just boosted their audience--at least temporarily because I am sure that other non-Idol but Ellen fans will do what I am planning to also.

This just ensures that I will NEVER watch Idol again...at least until the producers come to their senses and get someone else. Ellen was HORRID as a guest judge on SYTYCD. She was glib and unfunny and added nothing to the show. I don't think she's funny at all, which probably doesn't matter, since she thinks she's funny enough for the both of us. I assume this is a stunt to get ratings and maybe they'll succeed, but it's turning the whole judging panel into a joke, imho.

Ellen is a stand-up comedian who has no musical background or talent. What on earth could she add to the discussion other than glib remarks and comments about whether or not she liked the song/performance? People may not like Kara, but at least she's got the resume.

Bad move, Fox
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697197;
    This just ensures that I will NEVER watch Idol again...at least until the producers come to their senses and get someone else. Ellen was HORRID as a guest judge on SYTYCD. She was glib and unfunny and added nothing to the show. I don't think she's funny at all, which probably doesn't matter, since she thinks she's funny enough for the both of us. I assume this is a stunt to get ratings and maybe they'll succeed, but it's turning the whole judging panel into a joke, imho.

Ellen is a stand-up comedian who has no musical background or talent. What on earth could she add to the discussion other than glib remarks and comments about whether or not she liked the song/performance? People may not like Kara, but at least she's got the resume.

Bad move, Fox

I agree with this entire post.
    No more idol for me.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697197;

Bad move, Fox

My thoughts as well. The show is obviously there for our entertainment, but the young people on the show are hoping for their big break in the music industry. I think it devalues the show to have a comedian as one of the judges. I doubt she has an ear for proper pitch (sorry if I'm making a false assumption), a background in music, or a history in finding raw musical talent. I think it's a huge mistake on AI's part to make her Paula's replacement. I didn't see her on the other talent show that you mentioned, SYTYCD, but your description of "glib, and unfunny and added nothing to the show" pretty much sums up my notion of how Ellen would be as a judge.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I'm still on the fence.
    I have nothing against Ellen. I would have preferred that they replace Kara, but I guess that's not going to happen.
    Part of what I enjoyed about Idol was the repartee between Paula and Simon. I'm not sure that Ellen's goofy, off the beat dancing will be enough to keep me tuned in, as I don't really care for it. But, it looks like the decision has been finalized, so that's that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Hmm, I didn't know Ellen was on SYTYCD since I don't watch that show but I get where people say that Ellen is glib and can talk too much. She does that on her show even when she interviews people. What I don't want is a situation where she'll be a distraction, a focal point or she'll be pooh-poohing Simon, Randy or even Kara who all know what they're talking about where Ellen doesn't. As long as she keeps it simple, funny and constructive with the comments, it will be fine. However, I'm pretty sure that's not what she was hired to do. Sigh. Also, last season we had shows running overtime because the judges took too long to comment. I hope that won't happen again.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

I don't know. Paula and Randy set the bar pretty low in terms of how much musical insight a performance comment needs. If she restrict her comments to "I feel you" and "I wasn't feeling that", she's already nearly as analytical insightful as Randy.

In terms of being "the nice judge", I think she has a shot to be more effective than Paula. The most Paula can really give is brief respite or distraction from Simon's, Randy's or Kara's negative comment. Nobody really took what she said seriously, including the contestants, but she did provide a brief oasis in the judging process. Ellen, if she likes someone, can provide not only that respite better (by defusing things with comedy) but also something useful, namely future air time and/or praise on another TV show. I think the kids will value Ellen being a fan of them more than they valued Paula being one.

Or, look at her influence another way. Imagine Oprah being a judge. Take the square root of that and dress it funny, and that's what we'll have with Ellen.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3697233;
    Hmm, I didn't know Ellen was on SYTYCD since I don't watch that show but I get where people say that Ellen is glib and can talk too much. She does that on her show even when she interviews people. What I don't want is a situation where she'll be a distraction, a focal point or she'll be pooh-poohing Simon, Randy or even Kara who all know what they're talking about where Ellen doesn't. As long as she keeps it simple, funny and constructive with the comments, it will be fine. However, I'm pretty sure that's not what she was hired to do. Sigh. Also, last season we had shows running overtime because the judges took too long to comment. I hope that won't happen again.
    She guest judged on one episode of SYTYCD last season. It was embarrassing.

You're right - she won't just go with the flow and try to fit in: she'll take over and put the focus on herself and not on the performers.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3697259;
    You're right - she won't just go with the flow and try to fit in: she'll take over and put the focus on herself and not on the performers.
    That is my worry. I like Ellen, but she is used to being the main focus on her show. Now she'll have to share it with 3 other people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast