+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Paula's replacement should be...

FORT Fogey

Re: Paula's replacement should be...

This is also going to be easier on Paula. You know that the first question of any interview for the next year will be "What do you think of the new judge on Idol?" (Come to think of it, that was the first interview question last year also!) Paula can honestly wish Ellen well, because she is not a replacement has-been pop princess. Ellen is her own brand. She's a totally new direction and no competition for Paula. This is very different than last year when Fox dropped Kara in to the mix.

This will also be good for Kara. Having both Kara and Paula seemed redundant.

Keep in mind that the job description here isn't really "judge". In the finals, all these folks do is comment, so they can more accurately be called "music critics" that give opinions and feedback. I'd love to see Ellen deflate some of the self-importance that often emanates AI judging table.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 09-09-2009 at 10:53 PM.

FORT Fogey

i am really not sure this is a wise career move for ellen

I don't know how she'll be able to comment on pitch, phrasing, tone, technique or anything really about someone's voice since she is not a singer, or on what works for today's music industry as she is not a producer, musician or the like. What she brings to the table is a dilettante's point of view, sort of like that of the millions of voters out there who sit down every week to vote on that which they know nothing about either. She is funny so we'll probably have much more laughs with her but her commentary will obviously not be professional in nature. Not that it matters. This is a who-can-text-faster-and-more kind of contest first and foremost. And since the cream will unquestionably rise to the top - as has been amply proven this past season - regardless of what the judges say or how the public supposedly votes, I'm all for more fun while it's happening. I'll even be bold and predict that Ellen will do a dance routine sometime during the season. Just remember, you heard it here first!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

All I can say is Wow.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

this will be interesting. she'll be a regular joe music critic...like all of us here on the fort. hopefully she'll just give her honest opinion.

you don't need to be a music expert or know the singing techniques, etc. she can just judge if she enjoyed it or not. hopefully she can be consistent and give all contestant a fair shot...no favoritism (which she has shown during her Ellen show).

but its pretty much what MsFroggy said...

oh and anyways Paula knew crap on singing. if you call her stuff singing...well...i leave it as that. she's an entertainer and not a singer. and she knew squat on techniques. so its pretty much a wash.

and will it be awkward if she calls all the ladies "beautiful".
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3696939;
    I'll even be bold and predict that Ellen will do a dance routine sometime during the season. Just remember, you heard it here first!
    Do you think she'll try to straddle the judge's table when she first comes in?
    I hope she's not up dancing during the performances like Paula did.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3696806;
    This is also going to be easier on Paula. You know that the first question of any interview for the next year will be "What do you think of the new judge on Idol?" (Come to think of it, that was the first interview question last year also!) Paula can honestly wish Ellen well, because she is not a replacement has-been pop princess. Ellen is her own brand. She's a totally new direction and no competition for Paula.
    That's an interesting point. I just hope folks don't turn the question around and start saying "wouldn't it be great if it were Ellen and Paula, instead of Ellen and Kara?"

For what it's worth, When aussie Idol replaced a judge a few seasons back, they also added a comedian type. He eventually turned out to be one of my favorite judges despite his lack of music industry experience. As long as Ellen is confident about what she says and isn't constantly apologizing for the lack of music background, I think she'll be fine.

The two things that may potentially make me cringe next season is Ellen dancing along during the performances -- I don't think her awkward dancing shtick will work if it's not the center of attention -- or if she gets involved in the already cringe-worthy "who's in the closet" banter that Simon and Ryan are always doing.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

can't wait to see how she handles simon

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

OMG - I think I'm going to have to stop watching Idol... or at least fast forward through all of the judges comments. Ellen's humor gets annoying quickly and it is difficult to take her seriously. Her "judging" on SYTYCD was awful.
    They should have got Debbie Gibson or left it at 3 judges.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

While this choice comes out of the blue, I LOVE it! I adore Ellen and really enjoyed her stint on judging SYTYCD this past season.

Regardless of who Paula's replacement was going to be, its going to be awkward and weird for the first few episodes because we, as well as the judges, have to find their groove...Ellen's humor will help to ease that way!

I can't wait!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast