+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 5 Results Show: Too Little, Too Late

Since Ruben was in the bottom two this week, next week his fans are going to make sure that won't happen again ... which is exactly what the show wants. I feel it's fixed, and they want Ruben to win, so they put him in the bottom two so he can get more votes in the following weeks.

I also have this really bad feeling that Clay might be this year's Tamyra ... or Ruben, you never know, but I actually feel sick from last night's show ... if it weren't for Clay, I'd stop watching.
    "Let's go piss off some heterosexuals ... if we can find any in this great, big, gay world of ours ... LET'S GO!" -Gale Harold, Queer As Folk season 3 wrap party reel

FORT Newbie
    Hey folks,

Well now that the shock has passed I have a few thoughts and observations.
    First of all, great recap lo. I enjoy reading your summaries almost as much (well, not quite) as watching the show. Second, but no less important, thanks to John and the FORT members for a really enjoyable forum. Last night when the server was groaning under the strain, I was wandering around reading some of the threads on other boards. This really is a nicer place to hang out.

Some of you may know that we had an earthquake in the Deep South (epicenter in 205, actually) earlier this week. Well I gotta tell you that it was NOTHING like the shockwaves that hit when Ryan announced that Reuben was bottom 2! I confess to being a Clay fan (Good lord, did you see his boats – er I mean shoes last night?), but I have really liked Reuben since the preliminaries. Our household was truly horrified with the turn of events. I don’t strongly dislike Josh, and I think he may have a future in music, but I see him as sort of a pacer among racehorses. There was no question in my mind that he was going to be in the bottom 2 and the one to go. O.K. so I was way wrong.

I agree with Grant that in the end this should be a good thing for Reuben. I’ve been waiting for him to “bring it up a notch” and if this doesn’t do it – I don’t know what will. If his fanbase has been complacent, they know now that they can’t do that again. Actually, I hope this will light a fire under all of the final 4, so that from now ‘til the end they will really blow doors!

The other thing I have to remind myself of is that in neither last season nor this one have contestants been voted off in order of talent. Last year E Jay and, of course, Tamyra went in advance of those with more limited abilities. This year Vanessa and Ricky went too soon. My opinions, of course. Last season I can’t say that I particularly cared for either Nikki or Justin, but I know that both of them inspired both strong support and strong dislike. The point is that their fans really mobilized and kept them in the competition. Josh really appeals to some, and they obviously worked hard to save him. At this point in the competition no matter who gets voted off, a whole lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Congratulations to Trenyce for a good run. I thought she was gracious and classy. I hope she does well.

Actually, the big winner in all of this is Fox. Controversy feeds the ratings. I can almost hear them panting.

Originally posted by ClaysAngel

I am one of the millions guilty of "Clay-love". I'm sure that at the moment, Clay is eating up the attention he never got before this show. But at some point, he may begin to wonder why people couldn't just like him for him before all this started. It can cause all sorts of insecurities.
    HAH! Clay was getting near-worship for his talents back in high school, so I seriously doubt he will ever run into that problem!

What a completely awful night last night. I was all ready to hear Josh's *last* song and be done with him. I feel something akin to pity for him, knowing as he does that he should have gone- but that same knowing didn't stop Nikki M from giving her all last season. he may be in over his head, but he's swimming for all he's worth (and so are his fans)....

It will be interesting to see how his presence affects Kim L. I agree with the prediction that Ruben will never again see the bottom two, and Clay seems pretty safe- it would be terrible if Josh manages to usurp Kim's spot in the final 3....

Of course, there is really not much you can do when you have a big loofah sponge for hair, so I don't know how different I was thinking he might look.

Super job on the recap, Lobeck!

I thought Justin's song was booooooooriiiiiing! I never liked his voice or his singing style.

Sad to see Trenyce go, but I think she would've been voted out next week if she had stayed. Josh should've been the one gone, imo, but why cry over spilled milk.

hh1
    FORT Newbie
    just a thought -- I find there to be no logic behind the thought that the producers put Ruben in the bottom two, just so he could get more votes in the following weeks. Lets think about it - First, we have no definitive proof that the producers alter the votes. I know, I know, there is all that speculation goin around, but no one knows how true it is-- and to be completely honest, do you think these people would sign a contract that said that the producers had the right to change the # of votes. Second--If (for arguments sake only) the producers do alter the votes, then what difference does it make if Ruben gets more votes in the next couple of weeks. If they are gonna alter it anyway, they could change it to reflect any outcome they want; therefore, it makes no since to put him in the bottom two just to get him more votes. I hate to have to say it, but the fact needs to be faced that Ruben, plain and simple, did not get as many votes this week.

Great recap Lobeck as always.

I loved the first group medley, and I was so glad Josh did well with his solo since he would be leaving, after all he is out of his league at this point. Oh wait, he didn't leave!!!

Justin - still waiting to be impressed by him.

Loved seeing Ricky and Kim C again. Fun, fun, fun.

Well I was really looking forward to a final 4 of Ruben, Clay, Kim and Trenyc. In fact I never considered it wouldn't be them. I thought the bottom 2 would be Josh & Ruben, or Josh & Trenyc with Josh gone. Still in shock.

I am sad Trenyc will not be there next week, I did expect her to go next week, so I guess 4th versus 5th isn't that big a deal. I am soooo glad she rocked Tuesday so left on a very high note.

Now if Josh doesn't leave next week, I'll be double shocked.

Don't assume anyone is safe - I saw a few people mention that Clay is probably safe next week - thoughts like that will have him leaving next week instead of Josh.

This also goes to show that the polls and the media are worthless.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Originally posted by hh1
    just a thought -- I find there to be no logic behind the thought that the producers put Ruben in the bottom two, just so he could get more votes in the following weeks. Lets think about it - First, we have no definitive proof that the producers alter the votes. I know, I know, there is all that speculation goin around, but no one knows how true it is-- and to be completely honest, do you think these people would sign a contract that said that the producers had the right to change the # of votes. Second--If (for arguments sake only) the producers do alter the votes, then what difference does it make if Ruben gets more votes in the next couple of weeks. If they are gonna alter it anyway, they could change it to reflect any outcome they want; therefore, it makes no since to put him in the bottom two just to get him more votes. I hate to have to say it, but the fact needs to be faced that Ruben, plain and simple, did not get as many votes this week.

You took the words right out of my keyboard! I was just about to post that! Thank you for your common sense. If the producers are indeed manipulating results, why would they care about increasing votes from the audience?

I really hope Josh leaves next week. If he knocks out Kim, Ruben, or Clay, that would be an enormous injustice. Not to mention that Josh is already way out of his league...

I haven't been personally upset about a results show since Charles was booted! I know it's just television, but I have adored Trenyce on quite a few nights, and after she rocked the house this week, I was really looking forward to her performances next week!
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Originally posted by TK421
    Since Ruben was in the bottom two this week, next week his fans are going to make sure that won't happen again ... which is exactly what the show wants. I feel it's fixed, and they want Ruben to win, so they put him in the bottom two so he can get more votes in the following weeks.

I also have this really bad feeling that Clay might be this year's Tamyra ... or Ruben, you never know, but I actually feel sick from last night's show ... if it weren't for Clay, I'd stop watching.
    Hey TK,

I don't believe the producers are "fixing" the votes. But they are manipulating the audience by other means. I was struck on Tuesday by how much more attention Clay got than Ruben. First, Ruben had to lead off both song sessions, not the most advantageous position. Then Clay got both coveted final appearances, with special lighting for his last ballad (that lighting would have been really cool for Ruben's ballad).

I just have the feeling that next week, to tighten the race, the producers are going to try to flip the tables and really promote Ruben. He could very well sing last for each session and get better lighting and whatever else.

I just wish this had been a straight judges' choice TV series--Simon, Paula and Randy NOW clearly favor both Ruben and Clay (Simon said he favors the two in his most recent interview). But for those of us who are Ruben and Clay fans, we've got to spend two hours dialing our fingers off on Tue nights to make sure we can even see our favorite performer until the finals. Talk about making millions of people work just to see good entertainment. And then the AI producers will BRAG ABOUT HOW MANY CALLS THE SHOW GOT. Give me a break!

I never voted before on this show because I thought my fave, Ru-Bear, would be safe until the finals. It really bugs me now that I've got to re-dial like some over-heated teeny bopper just to ensure I can see the Ru-Bear perform live. For that matter, I'm glad the Clay fans will be doing the same--cuz I want to see him perform too--but it all just seems so silly to me.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-01-2003 at 02:55 PM.

Great job on the recap Lobes. Well last night's show was fun, eh kids? In no particular order:

1. When Simon and Randy helped Paula to her her feet, she looked so s*%t-faced that it was hilarious. She had this lopsided facial expression that cried out: "designated drivers apply immediately"

2. The group songs were pretty good and duet between K-Lo and Trenyce was fine. Could have done without the return of Ally McBleat and the Blond Vampire (She just won't die..LOL).

3. Simon's head almost separating from his shoulders when the results were announced.

4.. They finally cut K-Lo a break and didn't screw with her head for once.

5. The absolutely pitiful Ford commercial and Clay's exit from the car. Either he stumbled or was very swishy when he finally started walking. No judgements made and no debate
    wanted, just an observation.

6. The horrible, incomprehensible results and the rush to try to rationalize that which cannot be explained. Josh should have been gone. The audience knew it, the judges knew and I think that Josh, to his credit knew it. Some possibilites:

- Rueben has been coasting of late and the judges have seen fit to level not one piece of constructive criticism at him when it was clearly warrented. Perhaps the voters sensed that they were being unduly led by the judges and the studio audience and rebelled.

- Every active duty military man or women voted on Tuesday night

- The Powers That Be see Rueben as bank, watched his performances slip and get a bit lazy the last few weeks and wanted to light a fire under his formidable behind going into
    the home stretch.

- Everyone who voted had a mind-sapping substance slipped into their milk/beer/Jack Daniels on Tuesday by men in black helicopters to advance a nefarious conspiracy, the details of which will be revealed on a special episode of "24"

Hmm, the last one is the only one that makes sense to me..LOL!

I think that last night helped Ruben and Kimberly, and made things tougher for Clay and Josh.... this is why

Ruben - now that his fans see that he is in fact capable of getting voted out, they are going to be in over-drive and VOTE VOTE VOTE... seeing as how there are only a couple of weeks left, this could give him enough steam to take him to the end

Kimberly L - I personally think this helped her because I cannot IMAGINE fox having a final 3 with 3 guys... there HAS to be a girl... although I didn't think they would have 1 girl and 3 guys either...so I guess I dont know what I am talking about, but I honestly think that if there isn't a guy/girl finale, there will at least be a girl in teh final 3

Clay - ruben fans are going to be voting like crazy now, I think it will hurt his chances

Josh- well.. lol... he will be going home next week, unless he pulls a Nikki out of his ass, and somehow ruben or clay get the boot next week (my guess is that if this happens, it will be clay)

I am still rooting for clay, although I really like Kimberly L too... I hope they are the last two standing
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

+ Reply to Thread