+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 5: The 60's and Sedaka

Originally posted by JustJoe739

Clay (He was about as good as Trenyce but I was turned off by the way they singled out stage lighting that he got and no one else got.. I dislike it and unless they would do that for all of them, they shouldn't do it for Clay.. but he sang great)...
    I don't really think he received special treatment. I'm sure if the other contestants wanted the same effect, they would have received it. Clay was just the first ingenious one to use "being last" to his advantage.
    "It's not the money. It's not the fame. It's the influence" --Clay Aiken

Originally posted by Bdawg
    Exactly, Eva. The other performers have grown and gotten better because of the criticism, but Ruben has not improved any. He's still a wonderful singer, but I think the judges have done him a disservice with all the accolades.
    I don't know that I'd call it a disservice, Bdawg, but I honestly don't get what the hold is that he has over the judges. I'm not saying Ruben isn't good; he is very good. He certainly deserves to be in the Final 3, if not the Final 2. But, it's starting to sound to me like the judges might have already made up their minds (for example, Randy's comment after Ruben's second song). Of course, it's not the judges who vote, but still...

FORT Newbie
    With regard to Clay's lighting, it really was a risk. I mean, if he hadn't completely pulled it off (Sedaka's tearing up was especially touching), the lighting would have made him look like a sap. When Simon said it was a very mature performance, he was right on target. Clay put his vulnerability and heart into the song and came across as sincere. If he hadn't....if he'd gone more "Broadway", the lighting would have emphasized this. Just my two cents.

Originally posted by lobeck
    I don't know that I'd call it a disservice, Bdawg, but I honestly don't get what the hold is that he has over the judges. I'm not saying Ruben isn't good; he is very good. He certainly deserves to be in the Final 3, if not the Final 2. But, it's starting to sound to me like the judges might have already made up their minds (for example, Randy's comment after Ruben's second song). Of course, it's not the judges who vote, but still...
    I don't really get it either Lobeck. Ruben is great, but I don't think he's flawless. In fact I think he could take some constructive criticism and then tear the house down by making his performances even better.

A friend of mine has only watched 2 or 3 AI shows, and last night she didn't get Ruben at all. She liked Trenyce the best and then Clay.

It'll be fun to see what happens next week.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Originally posted by Blaster
    Nice recap, Lobes

Interesting how all the contestants ramped it up a bit. I agree with Grisabella @ Ruben's pitchiness. Solid performances, but the judges hardly comment on his pitchy twitchies. I'm not hatin'.

I did enjoy Clay's little jab back at Simon in regards to the meaning of "Build Me Up Buttercup." I believe he said "I don't know, it's a British tune." Tee hee.

Did anyone notice Sedaka a bit watery-eyed after the "Solitaire" performance ??

Bye Joshua... flame on, Neil !
    Blaster--I loved the very intelligent comeback to Simon as well. It wasn't immature or full of anger, just a mere "matter of fact". I also noticed that Neil Sedaka seemed to be moved by Clay's rendition of Solitaire.

I really like how he chose his "atmosphere" for that song. It shows he's really thinking about what he's doing...very CLASSY.

Originally posted by leppard
    I really like how he chose his "atmosphere" for that song. It shows he's really thinking about what he's doing...very CLASSY.

But, I wonder if Clay asked for the stage to be lit that way or if it was the producers who decided it should be done?

Simon concludes with, "I agree with what everyone said. You entertained. Good job." Oh, for the love of God, Simon. Why do you always have to find something to…Oh, wait. Simon complimented Clay. I guess I was expecting him to slam yet another of the finalists. He caught me off-guard there.
    He caught me off guard too

Great recap Lo, but I expect nothing less than great with you
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great recap , thank you Lobeck :0)
    I still don't get what is up with these judges and Ruben.

As someone who is 50/50 most weeks (Clay/Ruben), at least ever since "Superstar", the last cpl weeks I have heard Ruben sing off key several times now,and yet the judges seem to turn a blind eye-or a deaf ear. The only critique Simon gave him was on his clothes LOL

Round One:

When Ruben walked out and started singing that last night, I was SO excited! he sounded GREAT and I was dancin.... lol
    But then after a few lines (about halfway thru?) he sounded out of breath..I think he was laboring to keep up with the speed of the song,he hit a few off notes. I understand this because if you do not know how to breathe correctly when youre singing, you will end up sounding like that. Im think Ruben knows how to breathe correctly, I just really think his size is just wearing him out when he's performing. I have NOOO problem with Ruben's weight, Im just pointing out that it can make it very difficult to handle moving around up there under hot lights while trying to sing a fast song.

Kim L --so so, the song didnt fit her voice or style (maybe it was the arrangement?)

Josh- sang one of my favorite oldies..I LOVE that song I thought he did a VERY fine job on it.

Trenyce- Very very good,but not perfect by any means

Clay- fabulous! I was incredibly proud of that performance
    Clay
    Kim/Trenyce
    Ruben
    Josh

Round Two:
    Basically, everyone but Josh kicked butt in this round!
    Clay
    Ruben
    KimL/Trencyce
    Josh
    "I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me. "

Originally posted by lobeck

But, I wonder if Clay asked for the stage to be lit that way or if it was the producers who decided it should be done?
    Hmmm...good question Lobeck. If I had to take a guess, I would say someone suggested it and he agreed. I can't see with that kind of risk involved, that he didn't have a say in the matter.

Also wanted to point out that Neil was one of the best if not THE best guest judges EVER
    He was either taking notes during the show or (as someone mentioned here earlier) reading off prepared notes.'
    HE gave honest critiques without being rude or cruel(to Josh for instance lol)

*I noticed Tia and Tamyra in the audience again, but never could catch what signs they were holding up,,I wanted to see who they were backing

RICKEYYYYYYYYYYY was there,they spotlighted him like three times,,I WISH Ryan had gone over and talked to him instead of yet MORE witless(thanx to the writers)banter.

Simon kept making "Blind Date" references, that nobody was supposed to understand, though those of us who know he was on BLind Date ,DID get it lol

One thing more...they let Ruben's brother come up on stage and Ryan spent time talking to him for a few seconds. whats up with that? Everyone has family and friends there...and again, that extra time could have been used to say hi to Rickey :*(

GO RUBEN, CLAY, and KIM L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I like talking to a brick wall, it's the only thing in the world that never contradicts me. "

+ Reply to Thread