+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 5: The 60's and Sedaka

Great recap Lobeck.

This was, by far, the best show yet. Most of the singers were relaxing on stage and really showing us what they got. I would have to say I am most impressed by Trenyce. I am not a big fan of hers; in fact I started out disliking her quite a bit. After last week, Clay, Ruben & Kim seemed to be in a class by themselves, but last night Trenyce showed that she can more than hold her own with them. Good for her! I thought the song choices were stellar, and I wonder if Neil Sedaka had any influence on them.

I enjoyed Neil Sedaka. He really looked like he was having a good time, and he was quite articulate. Did anyone else notice that he seemed to be reading off of cards? It sounded like he had taken the time to get to know everyone at rehearsal and came prepared with remarks for them. Very smart, IMO.

To me, Ruben still sounds like he's having trouble with his voice. I sure hope he's not straining it too much. I'm not a R&B fan, but he's growing on me. I still don't think he was at his best tonight, and I wonder, "if I can hear the mistakes he makes, why can't (won't) the judges?"

Somebody PLEASE tell Kim that slips are not equal to blouses!!
    That is NOT a good look - although at least this time she was wearing a jacket. I did NOT like the arrangement of IHITTG, but I don't think she sang it badly. I loved WTBA, though.

Clay made very smart song choices this week, showcasing his versatility, and for once I agree with Paula. He is showing that he can be a pop singer.

Not much to say about Josh, except that it looks like "Then You Can Tell Me Good Bye" seems very appropriate this week. He truly is out of his league. But I can't help wondering what he would sound like if he had had the kind of vocal training that Ruben, Kim and Clay have had.

I heard Clay didn't have a lot of vocal training, only for auditions and stuff...
    You criticize and detest in others the faults you see in yourself or that you fear others see in you. - Zachary Podolsky, Harvard Crimson columnist

Surprise of the week: Trenyce. She was definitely "back". I liked the dress even if it was embarrassingly short when she was perched on the stool.

Jaw-drop of the week: Clay. HOW does he keep getting better?! I *loved* the Buttercup performance and how he really seems to have worked out the issues with high notes that he'd had back during Movie Week. I didn't know Solitaire but it was ok, as Paula said it showed a bit more vulnerability in his voice. He looked sharp, imho. He owned the first half-hour. I think his is the attitude which will make a long term career and bond with the listening public.

Ruben? "It was alright for me." I liked his first song ok but I swear he was putting me to sleep with his s-l-o-w Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (which I only remember as an uptempo number). Anyone else want to tie his arms down during a ballad? Sooo tired of those moves. Why do none of the judges hear it when he's hit clunker notes? He has big problems with his high ones. He didn't raise the bar and still hasn't reached where I felt he was during Movie Week. I thought he was in leather pajamas.

Josh. Nervous, stressed and bratty! He's turned into a jerk. Simon was dead on. Josh is out classed at this point. He needs training and practice and to settle once and for all on his vocal style. Better luck next time; the Idol train has passed you by. Time to pack out your trash and head back to your unit. Of course he'll get time off to tour with AI2 this summer.

I didn't find Kim Locke all that great. She had some very good moments but it wasn't all there for me. I *hated* Grapevine. Leave it to Marvin, girl. *sigh* I think she had some pitch problems. I don't this this was her best night.

I voted for Clay and Trenyce (she deserves to be Top 4 and could wiggle into Top 2). She could really do well with some vocal training to get her range under control. She's swapped spots with KLocke for me this week. Ruben is 4th. Josh is falling off the horizon.

IMHO, Clay more than deserves to win. He *is* the total package. He's also humble in taking constructive criticism to heart. My only fear is that they'll give him second-rate production values (I'm not blown away but the "quality" of the AI2 CD) and poor songs. Maybe he'd be better off bowing out at #2 or 3. In the context of this competition I think Ruben, KLocke or Trenyce are a better fit for the MTV airwaves.

Time for Josh to exit. I think Ruben is the most vulnerable overall. The judges are doing him NO favors with the weeks upon weeks of endless, critique free adulation.
    Last edited by ilean4clay; 04-30-2003 at 06:42 AM.

Originally posted by withoutasol
    i think its unfair for clay to have the lights down on his second performance
    Interesting...why do you say that?

Originally posted by ilean4clay
    Surprise of the week: Trenyce. She was definitely "back". I liked the dress even if it was embarrassingly short when she was perched on the stool.

Jaw-drop of the week: Clay. HOW does he keep getting better?!

Ruben? "It was alright for me."... Why do none of the judges hear it when he's hit clunker notes?

Josh. Nervous, stressed and bratty! .. He needs training and practice and to settle once and for all on his vocal style.

I didn't find Kim Locke all that great. She had some very good moments but it wasn't all there for me.

IMHO, Clay more than deserves to win. He *is* the total package...My only fear is that they'll give him second-rate production values (I'm not blown away but the "quality" of the AI2 CD) and poor songs.
    That dress Trenyce wore was pure Tina. Find some old pics of Tina, and she will be wearing that exact dress. Trenyce was *very* entertaining when she was trying to be Trenyce. Neil was right.

IMHO Clay keeps getting better because he has the *desire* to win, it shows on him every week. I don't see that same desire in some of the others. If they don't care, why should I?

Reuben was enjoyable, but his performance was not very exciting. I think we are hearing the "clunker notes" now because we are *listening* for them. Maybe the judges are not?

Josh has settled on his style. "He doesn't like country" he said of Simon. Maybe Simon just doesn't like bad singing Josh...

I think Kim has been listening to her own press. Praise is intended to motivate, not placate! Keep working Kim, or you too will be sent packing.

I am so glad you brought up the issue of production values! During the show, the background singers sound harsh, loud and sometimes even off key. On the CD, the production is just cheesy overall IMHO. I haven't heard Kelly's CD, I hope that is not the case on her premiere or the credibility of the AI title goes straight out the window.

Up to now, I think good singing was the rule of the day in order to stay in the competition. If you were a good stage performer, or entertainer, but couldn't sing a lick, you weren't going to make it.
    I think we are now at the point where good singing should be a given and the singers should be turning into entertainers. I was very entertained last night by Trenyce and Clay, and to a somewhat lesser extent by Kim and Reuben. Sorry Josh, lit didn't work out, I have to tell you goodbye.

Great recap lobeck, and speedy too! If I had known it would be up by 12:09 I would have stayed up a little later!
    Last edited by Cruiser; 04-30-2003 at 07:42 AM.
    It is always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

First off, another fab review Lobeck!

I agree with ilean4clay - Ruben is vulnerable this week.

For the first time, I had no trouble getting through on his voting line. Sensing he may end up in the bottom two this week, I not only doubled my usual number of votes for him, but threw in an extra 25 on behalf of Fluff, as I know s/he can't vote and loves Ruuuben as much as I do.

I am praying Josh's fan base has lowered and last night's childish display by him will win him a trip home, even if Ruben does end up in the bottom two with him.
    Last edited by OldSchoolBabe; 04-30-2003 at 08:17 AM.
    Sing & dance the night away!

Nice recap, Lobes

Interesting how all the contestants ramped it up a bit. I agree with Grisabella @ Ruben's pitchiness. Solid performances, but the judges hardly comment on his pitchy twitchies. I'm not hatin'.

I did enjoy Clay's little jab back at Simon in regards to the meaning of "Build Me Up Buttercup." I believe he said "I don't know, it's a British tune." Tee hee.

Did anyone notice Sedaka a bit watery-eyed after the "Solitaire" performance ??

Bye Joshua... flame on, Neil !

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by drkim
    [B]I don't know what the "mic tapping" is???

She gets the mike tapping from Whitney Houston and Dionne Warwick did the same.

Great recap - I'm glad someone else heard the high heel comment

FORT Fan
    Great recap- it actually made me laugh out loud (high praise first thing in the morning).

I find it interesting OldSchoolBabe had no trouble getting through for Ruben. Here on the east coast at least it was murder trying to call in votes for Clay. I had decided to do a half an hour for Kim and an hour for Clay. Kim I got some busy signals but a lot of straight throughs. Clay's line was brutal. My rough estimate was 5 busy signals for each vote I got in. I never got more than 3 votes in a row before a busy signal, two was more common, and one was the norm. And this went on until 10:55 PM when I finally quit trying.

For all I know, I voted more for Kim than Clay!

Back to the show. I thought it was great. It proved (as though this needed proving) how wonderful '60s music is. And I really liked Neil Sedeka as a judge. He actually made criticisms, but he did them so gently that I'm not sure the contestants realized they were being criticized (such as his suggestion that Trenyce needs a style of her own).

I hope Josh goes because he just isn't holding his own against the others.

The next few weeks should be very interesting.

Lobeck, another great job. And super-quick (but not in a disappointing way), especially considering you're nowhere near the East Coast.

+ Reply to Thread