+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 5: The 60's and Sedaka

Your commentary always just makes my night, lobeck! Thanks!

My rankings are for

Rounds 1 and 2 (it ended up being the same for both rounds for me)

Clay
    Trenyce
    Kim/Ruben

Josh

Clay and Trenyce were just wonderful tonight! Josh was alright but alright just (as Simon said) is not good enough anymore. And Kim and Ruben neither disappointed or impressed me so they're together somewhere in the middle. I agree with you Wolf, it's getting so much harder to rank because they're singing so much better!
    *Lacey

Originally posted by Bdawg
    Great recap, Lobeck, you always seem to hit the nail on the head. But am I the only one that thought Ruben's first song was better than the second?
    Nope, I liked his first song much better than the second!

Thanks for the recap, lobeck. I can't believe how fast you got it up here! (Slap me if I'm out of line, but... are you male or female? I really can't tell!)

Originally posted by JustJoe739

Clay (He was about as good as Trenyce but I was turned off by the way they singled out stage lighting that he got and no one else got.. I dislike it and unless they would do that for all of them, they shouldn't do it for Clay.. but he sang great)
    Well, maybe the others should sing a song that warrants that kind of lighting, then. The lighting went with the song, not Clay. That seems to be how they do it - match the lighting and stage effects to the song.

Terrific recap as always. Lobeck!!

You're always "durn" fast getting them out! Another comment I have for the show, although some people have already mentioned this, was that Neil Sedaka was the best celebrity judge we've had thus far! Did anyone else notice he was taking notes during the performances? He seemed to really get into it. Fabulous show tonight. Here's how I'd rate everybody:

1. Clay: There just aren't words for performances like this. Absolutely amazing!!!! He is the man!!!!

2. Trenyce: She rocked tonight! She brought it back up to her "Let's Stay Together"-caliber performances she put on during the opening stages of the competition.

3. Kim Locke: Her first performance, IMO, wasn't great...I've never liked that version of the song (CCR & Marvin Gaye are more to my liking, but that's just me). However, she was lovely on "Where the Boys Are." IMO, the best she's ever been.

4. Ruben: Hmm...I used to be a big Ruben fan, but he just hasn't thrilled me lately. That being said, I thought he brought it back up on "Breaking Up is Hard to Do." A nice job! I had a feeling he'd sing that song...

5. Josh: Josh, Josh...man, I'm just not so sure about you anymore...you try to be witty but merely come off sounding petulant, your singing really hasn't impressed me for some time, and your stage presence is just plain scary! I'd say he'll go this time. He just hasn't raised his game enough.

What a great show!! And for a week people were dreading--who would've thought!?

Wow I loved tonight's show. I had no idea they were singing 2 songs - it was great!!! I really liked the show a lot. Tonight IMO Clay just shone, and Josh didn't. The other 3 were all really close - they all did great on their second songs. Wow the bar was definately raised tonight.

Ruben - first song was OK, he missed a few notes, his attire looked like gold foil on my screen - I would have never guessed it was leather! He missed a few notes, but very solid. I thought his second song was much better.

Trenyc - Wow she rose to the occasion! I liked her first song, and loved her second. Only thing I didn't like was her saying "come on ya'll" twice during the first song. I liked her outfits tonight. She did much better than she has in weeks. That was the Trenyc I remember from early on.

Josh - I liked his first song OK, but the second song was not kind on my ears. He didn't seem to be giving it his all tonight, and looked like he just didn't care??? He seemed out of his league tonight IMO.

Kim - first song was OK, not near as good as she has been lately, but she rallied with the second song. That second song was smooth and classy.

Clay - loved that he did an upbeat song tonight, and did well, very well. His second song just blew me away.

Rankings - first song

Clay, Trenyc, Kim, Ruben, Josh (2-4 really close)

Rankings - second song

Clay, Ruben, Kim, Trenyc, Josh (2-4 really close)

Who should and will go? Josh
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

FORT Regular
    Originally posted by Mantenna
    What a great show!! And for a week people were dreading--who would've thought!?
    I have to agree. I wondered how interesting a Neil Sedaka music/judged show would be, but it was one of the better ones, imo. Clay (both songs) and Kimberley ('Where the Boys Are') really shined, and Ruben and Trenyce were also great!

I agree Drkim, Trenyce's "Come on, ya'll" really annoys me too. It detracts so much from the song! Oddly enough, her microphone-tapping doesn't bother me, though.

i think its unfair for clay to have the lights down on his second performance,

but other than that i didn't think Clay do his best tonight, though still very good. He over sang teh first song, sounded as though he was yelling most of it out, and the theatrics needed to be toned down.

that being said, ruben did OK as well, not hitting a few higher notes, but still sounding ultra smooth, i also liked his first song better than his second song

Kim L was excellent, the grapevine song isn't much of a crowd pleaser, theres not much she could have done with it, like someone mentioned above, the gladys version isn't as fun to listen to as Marvin Gayes- her second song was SUPER!

Josh- he jsut isn't up to everyone elses level- it shows

Trenyce- she blew me away, two very good, very solid performances with a lot of energy- If she doesn' tmake it to the next round, i will be very disappointed.

JOSH should be voted off.

the final four without josh will be so exciting

"Ruben launches into the song, and he does a good job. He does miss a couple of high notes, though, and I think he knows it. It's a fast song, so Ruben does move around a bit. However, it's not much more than his standard routine of holding the microphone in one hand while extending the other, then switching hands and doing the same thing. And they say that Clay needs to work on his dance moves? Anyway, like I said, Ruben does a pretty good job, but I don't think it was his best. The judges seem to disagree with me, though."

Yeah, why is it that when Ruben occasionally goes a bit "pitchy" none of the judges ever seem to notice? I've also wondered why the praise from Randy, Paula and Simon seems to be about equally effusive for Ruben on his less than perfect performances (pitchiness, sounding like last week, not moving much) as on his really stellar performances. Not sure they're doing Ruben any favors by that. See how much Clay's grown from constructive criticism? Any artist deserves that.

Originally posted by Mantenna
    I agree Drkim, Trenyce's "Come on, ya'll" really annoys me too. It detracts so much from the song! Oddly enough, her microphone-tapping doesn't bother me, though.
    I don't know what the "mic tapping" is??? Nothing she does really bothers me at all. I don't like it when any of them call out to the audience to clap or whatever.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

+ Reply to Thread