+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Eight - Let's Look Back

FORT Fogey

Season Eight - Let's Look Back

Since a lot of folks will probably disappear after Wednesday, I thought I'd get this discussion going now. So, what to you think of Season Eight?
    • How did all the judge / producer conniving before the finals affect the outcome?
    • How do you rate this years Finalists or say, Top Four with previous years?
    • Who was the most overrated?
    • How was the judging?
    • How were the theme weeks?

This is just a few ideas; but the point is what did you think of the season as a whole?

FORT Fogey

Re: Season Eight - Let's Look Back

Looks like some other sites are moving down the same road. What Not To Sing has just published The Not-So-Friendly Skies, a recap of the producer shenanigans in Season Eight.

An excerpt:

For 2009, the producers apparently decided that accidents were no longer acceptable. At the least, if mistakes were going to be made, then they'd be their own and not America's. Essentially, they pre-selected all of the finalists for Season Eight, not just the usual handful. It appears that 15 contestants made their initial cut, though two of those, Tatiana Del Toro and Nick Mitchell, may have been included solely for comic relief. All received extensive "pimp piece" promotional segments in January, and most (but not all) were given airtime in Hollywood as well. The expanded field and one-and-done Semifinals format ensured that no contestant except their chosen ones could build a big enough fanbase to advance out of a Group round. Finally, the Wild Card Show, the first vote-free competition episode since Season One, was there to clean up any loose ends and fine-tune the field before the Finals got underway. Foolproof!

Group One played out exactly as scripted. Five of its twelve singers had received the full spa treatment of pimpage. Of those, three – Danny Gokey, Alexis Grace, and Michael Sarver – advanced safely to the Finals, and the other two posted above-average web approval ratings, making their Wild Card callbacks seem perfectly normal.

But one week later, 19E's carefully-constructed house of cards began to come tumbling down. The adorable but musically immature (Jasmine) Murray couldn't come close to handling the difficult phrasing required on Love Song (25). Moments later, (Matt) Giraud, an accomplished piano-bar singer, overreached badly with Viva La Vida and paid the price (21). Had both promoted contestants performed to expecations, it's almost certain that the fifth and sixth singers of the group, a scarlet-haired rocker girl from L.A. and a cute but pint-sized Arkansas newlywed, would have been sent back to obscurity the next night along with the rest of the cannon fodder. As it was, Allison Iraheta and Kris Allen joined show-closing Adam Lambert in the Finals. That most definitely wasn't in the script, and neither was the fact that a pair of expendables, Mishavonna Henson and Jesse Langseth, had also outsung most of the producers' chosen ones.
    You can piece the rest of the story from there, or read the article. One of the things the producers did was control the pimp spot on the group nights.
    • Group 1: Danny
    • Group 2: Adam
    • Group 3: Lil

And there you have the front runners as the finals began.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 05-18-2009 at 04:51 PM.

FORT Fogey

Great thread:

* How did all the judge / producer conniving before the finals affect the outcome? and the judging:
    Hated all the little petty crap from Paula/Simon - missed Simon JUST being straight forward honest on reviews
    Didn't like adding Kara, though it made Paula more comprehensible, they were allowed to go on too long
    Didn't like the pair judging - we want to hear each one's opinion, but not for several minutes
    Danny's friend should have made it
    Thank goodness the producers did NOT get Tatiana and Noah it would have tainted this season

* How do you rate this years Finalists or say, Top Four with previous years?
    Best of all top 4 (though wish the save could have been used for Allison not Matt)

What do you think of the changes??
    LOVED that the finalists were NOT limited by gender (we got the best without fillers)
    LOVED having more "real" talent being shown in the fewer audition shows=better talent overall this year (I never watched all the weird crapfest auditions)
    Wished Hollywood week would have shown all 36 who had a shot
    Wished that the final 36 would have had multiple shows to get in (with voting) not just judges wildcard
    Really enjoyed the duets

* Who was the most overrated?
    Danny

* How were the theme weeks?
    Ok for me this year

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3454204;
    [*]How was the judging?
    Worst ever. Thanks, Kara. Joel McHale of The Soup called her "the third nipple", which is pretty much on the mark. I expect nonsense from Paula, and pointless examples of lame urban slang from Randy, but Simon let me down as well, with his inexplicable attachment to Matt and Gokey and dislike of Allison (the best natural talent of the season). I got the feeling that he can't wait until this season is over.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3454204;
    Since a lot of folks will probably disappear after Wednesday, I thought I'd get this discussion going now. So, what to you think of Season Eight?
    • How did all the judge / producer conniving before the finals affect the outcome?
    • How do you rate this years Finalists or say, Top Four with previous years?
    • Who was the most overrated?
    • How was the judging?
    • How were the theme weeks?

This is just a few ideas; but the point is what did you think of the season as a whole?
    Okay, I started a response, and it was so long that I've broken it down into parts.

The season as a whole: I thought the talent was amazing. I had so many that I liked early on that I couldn't just vote for one or two - it was ridiculous! Top 4? Definitely deserving - couldn't have been better! (although I did love Anoop! and Alexis probably should have stayed in much longer than she did). The Judges' Save was a joke.

FORT Fogey

The judging: HORRENDOUS! And, in my opinion, not because of Kara, but because of Simon and Paula. Simon apparently doesn't listen or can't hear (always asking "What'd she/he say?"), so I'm sure this affects his perception of the performances he is supposed to critique. Not sure if he is going deaf, deliberately tuning out, or just in his own little world (or worse yet, Paula's). Speaking of, why didn't Paula just stay with the good thing she had going? Her rehearsed, vocabulary dense scripts make her sound even less intelligent than did her inebriated slurrings of previous seasons. These two combined yielded grade-school caliber antics which made me want to turn off my set. If I were renewing their contracts, I wouldn't! Keep Randy - he is the only one of the three with any credibility remaining.

I don't think the judge/producer connivings have affected the outcome - Lord knows they tried to hang on to Lil and Matt (and Danny in the end), but the voters know what they like....

FORT Fogey

Most overrated? Lil. I heard every week what mad vocals they knew she had but she just wasn't showing, I finally decided that they had made the whole thing up. No mad vocals. Not once. (I'm sure she is super-talented, but that just wasn't what was coming out on the show. I felt the same about Matt a few times, but a few other times I LOVED his performances.)

FORT Fogey

Theme weeks? They were okay - I was dreading Disco, but it turned out to be a nice surprise.

I could probably live without another Rock Week - I know that was orchestrated to show off Allison and Adam, but Adam's performances weren't up to par, and Allison just didn't have the fan base to make it through. Probably got her the exposure she needed to carry her into success on the other side, though. Actually, Rock Week on another season, when it wasn't so obviously thrown together (like Slash getting asked to mentor only one week prior) to showcase particular talent, probably wouldn't be so bad.

Just my opinion - please don't hate on me!

Well, I've not loved everything this season, but I do like it a lot better than the past few seasons of AI. A lot is probably due to the better talent, overall. I do think the judging has improved, also. While I did not like Kara that much at the beginning, and she's still not my favorite, I do feel that her comments have steadily improved to contain cogent critiques and her mere presence has seemed to inspire both Randy and Paula to offer more lucidity in their remarks. I'm still not certain, though, that we need the 4th judge as it has caused a decrease in comments by Simon and he still is, for me, the most relevant arbiter of talent on this show.
    I don't tend to watch much at the very beginning of the season, so I miss out on a lot of the Bikini Girl / Tatiana/ Norman debacles.
    I did, however, get to see way too much of the pimping of Megan, Lil, Danny and Anoop - to name a few. It tends to turn me off to the candidates IF I don't find them to be particularly talented, anyway. But, the way I see it, pimping of contestants is done on all of these types of shows. So, I can't really bash AI for this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think the biggest problem this season was the producers took a heavy hand in editing and instructions to the judges. It looked at times that Simon was pained to compliment Danny. And yes, I think Danny was most over rated. Not saying he doesn't have a good voice.

But when you butcher the first half of a song and the judges fall over themselves complimenting the last half of the song so voters will vote for you... well, that to me is over rated and heavy handed.

I really think the producers wanted Danny to win because of his back story and apparent marketability. But he has some serious flaws as a singer and really needs to work on them.

I also think the judging in general was awful this season and a big part of why Lil sucked so bad. Each week she was trying to turn herself into something different she thought the judges wanted, instead of just being herself and letting her voice do the work. Something that Allison did do and it took her far into the season. Also was sad to see Alexis go so soon. Her Jolene was bad, but she had a decent voice and should have lasted longer than many who did.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast