+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season Eight - Let's Look Back

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Season Eight - Let's Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3457409;
    I could probably live without another Rock Week - I know that was orchestrated to show off Allison and Adam, but Adam's performances weren't up to par, and Allison just didn't have the fan base to make it through. Probably got her the exposure she needed to carry her into success on the other side, though. Actually, Rock Week on another season, when it wasn't so obviously thrown together (like Slash getting asked to mentor only one week prior) to showcase particular talent, probably wouldn't be so bad.
    I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Rock Week was one where Adam definitely DID deliver. Both performances were outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3457576;
    I also think the judging in general was awful this season and a big part of why Lil sucked so bad. Each week she was trying to turn herself into something different she thought the judges wanted, instead of just being herself and letting her voice do the work. Something that Allison did do and it took her far into the season. Also was sad to see Alexis go so soon. Her Jolene was bad, but she had a decent voice and should have lasted longer than many who did.
    I felt that Lil was more the problem than the judging. The judges seemed pretty consistent in telling her what they were looking for, she just didn't "get" it. Allison did. That's why Allison lasted much longer.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

Season 8, well, so desu ne...

It started kind of boring...
    It had one judge too many...
    It was missing the "yearly scandal"...
    It didn't make sense when Alexis was ousted...
    Guys like Michael, Scott, and Anoop, brought it down to an incredible mediocre level...
    It wasted time with the "judges save"...
    It should have had more talented females, Allison wasn't enough...
    It picked up a lot, when it came down to the last 4...
    It was unbearable when it was Kara's time to talk...
    It had a Hall of Horror moment when Danny let of his scream (on)...

It went out with a big bang, with the best final show ever.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3454204;
    Since a lot of folks will probably disappear after Wednesday, I thought I'd get this discussion going now. So, what to you think of Season Eight?
    • How did all the judge / producer conniving before the finals affect the outcome?
    • How do you rate this years Finalists or say, Top Four with previous years?
    • Who was the most overrated?
    • How was the judging?
    • How were the theme weeks?

This is just a few ideas; but the point is what did you think of the season as a whole?
    I have to say again that I was disappointed overall in the strength of the performers in the Top 12. Combined with yappy judges, fawning over Adam and pretty terrible theme weeks, I was really disappointed in the middle of the season. The final results shocked me. This group seemed strong with the little we saw in Hollywood, but for whatever reason I only liked a few of the top 12 from week to week, Allison was my favorite, followed by Kris and sometimes Anoop.

I agree with those of you who have said elsewhere that Ricky Braddy was robbed by the Top 36 format of the semi-finals. How do you choose Jasmine Murray or Scott over someone with his chops for the wild card spot?

Looking back, I think the new/old format of a top 36 plus a wild-card round is what threw me off and kind of ruined the flow of the season for me. The format from seasons 4-7, where the top 24 would compete to start, 12 men and 12 women, and 4 would leave each week was a much better process of elimination, IMO. Season 4 was my favorite season (Bo fan, here). Looking back, it's probably because by the final 12, I felt like I knew every single person who made it because we'd seen them perform for multiple weeks.

In the old top 24 format, what happened in this season, where people like Allison and Kris came out of nowhere in the semi-finals because of a lack of exposure in the audition and Hollywood rounds wouldn't have happened. They would have been able to build a fan base (or not) slowly as the semi-final rounds progressed.

I also would have had more firm opinions about everyone by Top 12, not just based on whatever performance got them to the finals. Allison blew me away with Alone, so I was a fan from the start, but that was literally all I knew about her.

My suggestions - bring back the old semi-final format and no more Kara!

The group numbers and various duets from the Top 13 last night brought home the fact that, for me...for you...for me (oops, sorry Randy) For me, I remembered why I never voted for any of these kids except Allison, Kris & ADAM. Those other Top 10 warblers sounded so amateurish. Ugh.

Kara redeemed herself last night with bikini girl, but I still think they should go back to the original 3 judges. They should also rethink their voting policy. I read on another thread that this has turned into a voting competition, with all these gizmos used for telephone voting and text messages sent out in the tens of thousands. But AI has always been so proud of quantity vs quality, in terms of voting

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3457603;
    I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Rock Week was one where Adam definitely DID deliver. Both performances were outstanding.

I felt that Lil was more the problem than the judging. The judges seemed pretty consistent in telling her what they were looking for, she just didn't "get" it. Allison did. That's why Allison lasted much longer.
    You are right, Blues Songstres - Adam did, indeed, deliver on Rock Week. And I thought it was great the way he let Allison shine that night - he really was a "team player," and that was impressive! I was actually thinking about the Judges' Choice/Idols' Choice week (why couldn't you read my mind?!) - I wasn't a fan of Adam's rendition of "One" (that may have been due to Simon's influence on how he performed it, as I understand that Simon did attend that rehearsal), and "Crying" wasn't his best for me (channeling Randy now).

Thanks for catching that - I'm just getting old and can't remember what happens from week to week! lol

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3462617;
    I
    I agree with those of you who have said elsewhere that Ricky Braddy was robbed by the Top 36 format of the semi-finals. How do you choose Jasmine Murray or Scott over someone with his chops for the wild card spot?
    Agreeing with this TOTALLY! Ricky Braddy was amazing. Jasmine was not ready for this - she was such a doll that they fell in love with her and became irrational!

Looking back, I think the new/old format of a top 36 plus a wild-card round is what threw me off and kind of ruined the flow of the season for me. The format from seasons 4-7, where the top 24 would compete to start, 12 men and 12 women, and 4 would leave each week was a much better process of elimination, IMO. Season 4 was my favorite season (Bo fan, here). Looking back, it's probably because by the final 12, I felt like I knew every single person who made it because we'd seen them perform for multiple weeks.

In the old top 24 format, what happened in this season, where people like Allison and Kris came out of nowhere in the semi-finals because of a lack of exposure in the audition and Hollywood rounds wouldn't have happened. They would have been able to build a fan base (or not) slowly as the semi-final rounds progressed.
    Absolutely! I didn't watch Seasons 1 & 2 or early Season 3, so I hadn't seen this method of getting Top 12/13 before. It felt cramped to me - it's difficult to tell a great deal about the contestants and whose voice/style you like from only one performance, although I guess most of the top 13 had already had fairly generous exposure prior to Top 13 this year. I guess this gives the producers/judges more control over who makes it and who doesn't, although it clearly didn't work as they had anticipated this season.
    Last edited by I'm MEL; 05-22-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: left out something

FORT Fogey

Best Duet of the Season: Adam Lambert and Kris Allen's "I Will Remember You" - their voices blended so beautifully, and the song was quite fitting for the end of a spectacular season and two great friends saying their good-byes to each other, the show, and all of us at home who enjoyed all of them so much.

FORT Fogey

Ok. Well, I think I got it. I saw <insert first name here> Byrd on Idol Wrap. First, may I say that I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the pairing of Justin and Kimberly on that show? Brandon Rogers (one of my all time favorites...not so much for his voice but for his personality) was a GREAT addition. At the conclusion of the show, he was so sweet and thanked Kimberly and Justin for embracing him and not treating him like an outsider. Kim started to tear up. And Justin is always very nice in what he says and how he says it. Love those 3 together.

Back to Byrd...she said that this was a really talented bunch and that the producers picked people who could be stars in every single musical genre.

She didn't say the four judges....she said the producers. I'm not sure if this is a strategy they've used every season, but I, for one, really liked it this year. It was my favorite top 12 since Kimberly's season, actually (I've watched 'em all).

In an earlier interview, Simon basically said they cast for the show. He didn't say anything about record sales. When you think about it, even with Carrie and Kelly, the revenue producers get from the Idols as a result or recording contracts is a drop in the bucket compared to what they get from the show. It's tv first and foremost.

And that is why someone with chops like Ricky Braddy and the red-head from Minnesota didn't make it. Boring personalities (IMO) and not so cute (IMO again).

It was an interesting season for me, and my tastes changed once the Top 12, I mean Top 13, rolled around. I loved Anoop, Megan, and Lil during earlier rounds, but that fizzled fast.

I have been completely bored by Allison and Kris until around Top 5 or 6, and I really didn't start seing the light until the week before Allison left. After her final performance, it was clear that she will be a star. I wasn't convinced about Kris either until the finale. His duet with Keith Urban made me a believer.

Two things haven't wavered....my adoration of Adam and Matt Giraud and Danny. I think I'm in love with Matt. Although I must say that I am worried he won't be successful post-Idol. Ricky Minor was right. He thought himself out of the competition. This is in contrast to Kris and Adam who never got nervous on stage (according to Kris in a post-AI interview) and just did what they do.

I could go on and on about Matt, but suffice it to say, I haven't had feelings like this since the David Cassidy hay-day (young girls don't know what they missed), and I hope he does well!
    Last edited by Jexter; 05-22-2009 at 11:34 PM.

[*]How did all the judge / producer conniving before the finals affect the outcome?

I think that it blew up in their faces, and I must admit a feeling of Schadenfreude about this towards all the producer shenanigans, I know quite a few people including my mom who started off Adam fans but got turned off by the relentless pimping by the judges and behaviour as if he had won the competition weeks before and such. People vote for the underdog, which Adam was not.
    [*]How do you rate this years Finalists or say, Top Four with previous years? In a word...Eh...
    [*]Who was the most overrated? Danny
    [*]How was the judging? As biased and lame as it ever was.
    [*]How were the theme weeks?

No real opinion there.

The talent of the finalists this year was far & away the best. And NO, there was no mediocre talents the level of Lindsay Cardinale, Leah LaBelle, Mikalah Gordon, Scott Savol, Anthony Federov or Matt the football guy. ALL of them - yes even Jasmine & Megan & Scott (who I think is crazy talented) are so much better.

The most over-rated was probably Danny or Matt.
    Judges need to shut up with the similes. Give straight critiques (& not on appearance, either)
    Theme weeks are mildly annoying, but not bad enough to teak them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast