+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546

Thread: 5/12 Show Discussion **spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/12 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3448253;
    I'm not at all sure that the judges on AI are suppose to actually say....out loud...who they truly want to win, as judges do in other subjective competitions like: gymnastics or figure skating.
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3448254;
    I think we are all taking these "judges" too seriously. First and foremost, their job on this show is to entertain, not to judge.
    That's a very good point, pillbeam. Actually, these folks are only "Judges" during the preliminaries, and then the wild card round. After that, they only function as critics. The voting television audience is the judge for the finals.

This is where the comparison to gymnastics or other sporting events breaks down. Or even comparisons with So You Think You Can Dance or Dancing With the Stars - both of which use a panel of actual judges that decide (to some extent) the fate of the participants.

All these four are asked to do is to make intelligent comments. [Insert scathing joke here.] Critics are not required to be impartial. They are expected to have opinions. It's understood that they have biases for certain types of artists or genres of music. The reason for a panel is so some of the biases can cancel each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3448818;
    I hear what you're saying but I didn't think Apologize was as bad a choice for Kris as that other awful song Paula chose for Danny. Heck, has anybody ever heard that song before? She killed him by making that choice.
    I can see where Paula was going with her choice of song. Danny shares that same raspy voice that D'Arby has, but that particular song was probably my least favorite of his. Wishing Well, or as someone mentioned upthread, Sign Your Name Across My Heart wuold have been much better choices. Well within his range, and much more interesting songs than that repetitive Dance Little Sister she picked. She did him no favors.

That said, I still don't think he's in danger of going anywhere.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox;3448206;
    I understand how personal bias can come through, at times. Afterall, we're all human. However, several of Simon's comments last night were over the top. He's over the top which people seem to love..... when he's praising their contestant.
    To me, Simon's over the top comments about Adam were not as bad as Paula throwing Kris under the bus so she could get her predicted Danny / Adam finale. Kara was almost as bad, but at least she had some praise form Kris after the second song.

All of the judges got on my last nerve last night. Are they judges or kindergartners? Disgusting.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3447750;
    I wish that:
    1. Adam would just sing a song straight up - NO SCREAMING ADAM!! You don't need it and it makes you a characature of yourself. It makes me leave the room every time now. I don't understand why he can't just do that. He was so good doing Mad World, but that was ages ago.
    2. The judges would stop slobbering over him and telling us what a God he is. To each his own, right? It's not that cut and dried.
    3. Kara would just go home.
    4. The judges would realize that it's not about them. The childish act is growing old.
    5. Danny would shave.
    6. Kris would win.
    sdl, I agree with just about everything you said, especially #6. I even voted for the first time this season.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3448102;
    USA Today has a feature story today on the Idol top three. Their reporter followed them around Saturday through Monday and reports on what their day-to-day life is like. They also talk about what the show means for them, how they feel about each other, and what they plan to do after Idol. You can find it below if you're interested in "how the sausage is made".

Behind the 'Idol' curtain: 3 finalists, 3 days, zero rest
    I loved this! It showed their personalities as well as the grind that is the Idol sweatshop. I liked the insights into Kris as a college student finding his way, Danny in his struggle to go from upward to outward, and Adam wanting the exposure being an Idol contestant brings.

I liked that Adam praised Allison and said that in two years she would be a big star. I also found it interesting that he regrets listing chorus boy in "Wicked" on his application as the Idol folks took that and ran with it.

Thank you for bringing this over. I enjoyed reading it very much.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I think that the only time Danny has had the pimp spot since making it to top 13 was last week's "non-pimp spot" pimp spot, which was followed by the totally pimped Adam/Allison duet. Danny is not my fave, but it seems unfair to me. But, who said anything about this season being fair, right?!

FORT Fogey

I'd love to see Danny go in a huge upset and have a Kris and Adam F2 but I doubt it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3447872;
    Oh, I couldn't agree more! I actually thought "One" started out nicely, and then he started wailing and screeching - AGAIN. I'd like to like him, but I just don't get it.
    I'm with you and talldede, trying to like the sound of his singing while appreciating the show of Adam, but it just sounds awful to me. Both songs started out nicely but once he starts the screechy notes it turns me off.

I'm fine with him winning if that's what people want, because if they'll buy his cd's then he should win. I wouldn't buy anything of his, but wouldn't mind seeing him in a show I guess. Actually I'm fine with any of the guys winning and trying to make a career out of this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3448699;
    I thought Apologize did not suit Kris at all, knew he was doomed when they picked that song for Kris. I also thought the judges knew this and did it on purpose.
    I thought that when they were explaining why they chose it and Randy said something referring to Kris's "big ole voice," which they have all said all along that he doesn't have, it was definitely not meant to make him look good.

+ Reply to Thread