+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738

Thread: 4/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 4/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727;3427909;
    What will Danny's first album be called? "Sixteen Songs that All Sound Alike"?
    But there are so many other performers who could have given their CDs that very title. Hell, Nickelback could call ALL of their CDs that, telling them apart only by calling them Vol. 1, Vol. 2, ....

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70;3428951;
    I love Adam, but this fact really bugs me. Adam is fabulous, but already is a consummate performer..... you certainly can tell that he knows how to work the stage and put on a show. It's like putting professional basketball players into the olympics. (???) I thought this was a venue for amateurs?
    America's best undiscovered singing talent. They gave up pretending it was for amateurs a long time ago. Singers whose only experience is with a hairbrush in front of the mirror are the ones that don't even rate a chance in front of the panel at audition time, even if they can carry a tune reasonably well.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I loved Danny's performance last night. As usual, he found a different way to express himself in a song. I loved his complex transitions with the music, and Randy is so correct, this man can sing. And unlike some other AI contestants, I always hear something different from Danny each performance. Now I like Adam a lot, but he always sounds like a Broadway diva, and that's great. And Allison always sounds like a shouting teenager (that's not so great).

I also love Danny's gracious and humble reactions to the judges. He is a class act, and I look forward to hearing his first album.
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-29-2009 at 04:36 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

I'm not sure Simon calling Matt's performance "brilliant" was intended in the way we yanks regard the word. The British toss around "brilliant" like we toss around "cool". A side of chips can be brilliant in merry 'ol England. Personally, I did not find Matt's performance brilliant, but I did find it cool. Adam's performance I found to be brilliant, as always. I'm liking Alison less and less each week, which is odd, considering she can sing her you know what off. At this point, I hope we have an all boy final four.
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

I think Simon calling Matt's performance brilliant is the biggest mystery of the season. Simon has retracted praise on previous result nights in previous seasons, especially after he's watched the recorded video of the performances. Perhaps he'll do that tonight.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

LOL.."Smug Danny"? Wow, I don't read these boards all that much, and I didn't realize people actually thought of Danny as "smug". Where would they get such an idea? He very rarely has even had the chance to say anything, and anytime I have ever heard him say anything, he's always polite as can be. Danny's performance was the best last night, period. I don't get the Adam love..take away the ridiculous theatrics and endless screaming, and your left with........what?

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm;3429252;
    LOL.."Smug Danny"? Wow, I don't read these boards all that much, and I didn't realize people actually thought of Danny as "smug". Where would they get such an idea? He very rarely has even had the chance to say anything, and anytime I have ever heard him say anything, he's always polite as can be. Danny's performance was the best last night, period. I don't get the Adam love..take away the ridiculous theatrics and endless screaming, and your left with........what?
    amazing vocal talent?

by the way, I love your bottom quote...

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3428656;
    He was pitchy - but in the recap in the end, where they are actually showing a clip of the dress rehearsal - he was on key. I think Simon was critiquing the dress rehearsal performance, and Randy was critiquing the live show performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3428897;
    I remember reading somewhere that AI and SYTYCD, and most likely any live contest show, films the recaps at the dress rehearsal. It makes sense, because otherwise there isn't much time to go through the tape of the last person to choose the spot to recap when they relist the numbers.

A couple of weeks ago, Anoop hit a sour note at the end of his song, and the recap played that portion and it was pitch perfect. How? It was a different performance. Watch for it from now on and you'll see little things like that which make it obvious that it's not the same performance.

The judges have the option to watch the dress rehearsal from their dressing rooms, and I think they usually do (except maybe Randy). It's got to be hard to hear and see everything otherwise, and to come up with something clever to say (other than "for me it was pitchy, dawg"). Last year Paula slipped up and critiqued Jason on 2 songs when he'd only sung one, probably because she had made notes about what she was going to say, and jumped ahead a on her page of notes by mistake. Sometimes the judges seem to be critiquing something other than what I just heard - like when they gush over someone who was off key for an entire song without ever mentioning that it was pitchy, probably because the singer was not off key during the dress rehearsal.
    I'm not sure about this using dress rehearsal clips for end-of-the show recap clips. I mean, in end-of-the show recaps, the arm motions, hand motions, camera angles, and even the eye blinks match up to the same portion of the live performances. I watch the live performances pretty intently. I don't think the contestants match blink-for-blink their dress rehearsal performance with their live performance. I could understand where in a few instances the editors would take footage from the dress rehearsal, but more often than not, you can tell the end-of-the show clips are from the live performances. Everyone knows they take the closing notes of the last performance as that particular performance's recap (it's AI's formula) and that still gives the editors plenty of time throughout the show's progress to select portions of the previous performances for the end-of-the show clips. I mean for goodness sakes, the commercial breaks alone are four minutes each and the judges critiques are what, another 2 minutes per performer?
    Last edited by miadora; 04-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread