+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

Lets discuss all pre-airing aspects of this probable horror show here!

For example:

1.) Which dozen or so songs do we think the producers will pre-clear and pretend consist of a huge library of songs that many of the contestants inevitably will be spun as having chosen the wrong one of?

2.) If pre-clearing is no object, what's your ideal song for each Idolator?

3.) How many times will Pauler get up, blocking the camera, and dance?

4.) What colors will Randy's shirt be?

5.) Why? Just why? Since the producers KNOW this is inevitably a train wreck, what's the purpose? Is it to have a bad week on PURPOSE to create drama?

6.) Who's a shoe-in to do well? Who just won't be able to help but suck at this genre?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

Adam would be the shoo-in.

FORT Fan

Will anyone pull a Bo and cheat the theme like he did with Vehicle?

LOL they will all suck in one way or another and it will be awesome. Although I hate when they do disco on the dance shows and try to skip it, this will definitely be worth watching.

Maybe the producers got sick of all the ballads and came up with a theme that pretty much forces them to do something up tempo?

I'd pay! PAY! If somebody sang that Debby Harry/Blondie song about the alien eating cars? You guys know the one. That song is made of awesome sauce. (That is a disco song, right?)

This will be the chance for Adam to truly channel his inner rock diva and come out with something screaming with lots of emotion. Oh wait, he's already done that. Ad naseum. So more of the same with him but I'll probably end up liking it and hating him even more for making me like it.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3415576;
    I'd pay! PAY! If somebody sang that Debby Harry/Blondie song about the alien eating cars? You guys know the one. That song is made of awesome sauce. (That is a disco song, right?)

This will be the chance for Adam to truly channel his inner rock diva and come out with something screaming with lots of emotion. Oh wait, he's already done that. Ad naseum. So more of the same with him but I'll probably end up liking it and hating him even more for making me like it.
    That would be "Rapture".

I already love Adam for making me hate him for making me like him. What a vicious cycle!
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

FORT Fogey

I don't quite know what the parameters of disco week are - which is per usual since the producers rarely qualify these things. Obviously if you do a straight cover of Staying Alive that counts. But what if you take Staying Alive and turn it into a pop ballad? Does that count because you started with a disco number?

And then there's the flip side; I mean disco is just a style so you could take anything and turn it into disco (as was done repetitively in the late 70's: disco Star Wars, disco Ethel Merman, disco Beethoven, etc.) So someone could do disco Rascal Flatts, U2, or Taylor Swift. It's just a matter of adding the techno-beat and voila! Instant disco!

So, I'm a bit lost here.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

So if they did Taylor Swift disco, would they have to sing really badly live?
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I think they could easily take a disco song and make it dance or rock. OR you could take a disco song and slow it down into a ballad...
    Would "Tainted Love" be considered disco? If so, it might not be a bad choice for Adam.
    I could totally see him singing "Funkytown" lol.
    "I will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor seems pretty popular lately - it's in a Vitamin Water commercial and it was used in that Keanu Reeves movie "The Replacements". I could see someone singing that. Maybe Lil?
    Other interesting options:
    "That's the way (I like it)" KC & the Sunshine Band
    "Don't Leave me this way" Thelma Houston - that one has a slow part and a fast part...

Please let no one sing "Turn the Beat Around" - it's been done on AI too many times, and no one has been able to sing it up to tempo yet.

Oh, and I'm sure Paula will be out of her seat dancing for every up tempo performance.
    Last edited by jmb; 04-16-2009 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3415581;
    I already love Adam for making me hate him for making me like him. What a vicious cycle!
    Ha ha! Love that! And it's so true!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3415563;
    6.) Who's a shoe-in to do well? Who just won't be able to help but suck at this genre?
    I think Adam can "sing the phone book" and will have no trouble with disco at all. I sure hope I'm wrong... but I think Allison might have a rough week. I can totally see Anoop sucking big time.
    Really, I don't know how familiar ANY of the contestants will be with disco songs, so that will sure make song choice difficult for all of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast