+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 97

Thread: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

  1. #41
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,069

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    In post #195 on the theme week thread, Buckeye addict posted the songs that had been sung in the past disco/dance theme shows ( Thanks for doing that). At least from those, you can see what had been cleared in the past ( and there are some big time repeats).

  2. #42
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    40

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by dixiegrl91;3415737;
    I just wanna know who's gonna sing "Last Dance". Don't they always drag that out for disco night?

    Sounds like a good one for Lil to mess up yet again. She NEEDS to leave.

  3. #43
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3415732;
    I don't know...I think Allison might be OK if she picks the right song. I could actually see her singing "Don't Leave Me This Way" and doing pretty well with it...

    I agree about Anoop...this might be the week that finally does him in...
    That might be a good choice for her but I'd actually like for her to do "MacArthur Park". If that song is cleared I hope she grabs it before Lil has a chance to murder it.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  4. #44
    Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3416143;
    In post #195 on the theme week thread, Buckeye addict posted the songs that had been sung in the past disco/dance theme shows ( Thanks for doing that). At least from those, you can see what had been cleared in the past ( and there are some big time repeats).
    Thanks ibot2much - I wasn't being terribly observant when I posted it in the theme week thread. Didn't notice this thread! I'll copy the list here to make it easier.
    Season 2:
    Rickey Smith - "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind & Fire
    Carmen Rasmusen - "Turn the Beat Around" by Vicki Sue Robinson
    Kimberly Caldwell - "Knock on Wood" by Amii Stewart
    Clay Aiken - "Everlasting Love" by Carl Carlton
    Trenyce - "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan
    Ruben Studdard - "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" by Barry White
    Kimberley Locke - "It's Raining Men" by The Weather Girls
    Josh Gracin - "Celebration" by Kool & the Gang

    Season 3:
    Jasmine Trias - "Everlasting Love" by Carl Carlton
    LaToya London - "Love You Inside Out" by The Bee Gees
    Fantasia Barrino - "Knock on Wood" by Amii Stewart
    Diana DeGarmo - "This Is It" by Melba Moore
    Jasmine Trias - "It's Raining Men" by The Weather Girls
    LaToya London - "Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston
    Fantasia Barrino - "Holding Out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler
    Diana DeGarmo - "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)" by Donna Summer & Barbra Streisand

    Season 4 (it was called "70's Dance Music")
    Constantine Maroulis - "Nights on Broadway" by The Bee Gees
    Carrie Underwood - "MacArthur Park" by Donna Summer
    Scott Savol - "Everlasting Love" by Carl Carlton
    Anthony Fedorov - "Don't Take Away the Music" by Tavares
    Vonzell Solomon - "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan
    Anwar Robinson - "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire
    Bo Bice - "Vehicle" by The Ides of March

  5. #45
    Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,367

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;3416158;
    That might be a good choice for her but I'd actually like for her to do "MacArthur Park". If that song is cleared I hope she grabs it before Lil has a chance to murder it.
    I can't remember why, but Carrie Underwood did not get good reviews when she sang "MacArthur Park." That song always perturbed me. Why would somebody write about leaving a cake out in the rain and being terribly upset about it? I suppose it's an analogy that goes over my head.

    Oh, I stand corrected. Just found the performance on youtube. She got rave reviews for her vocals, but Simon said her look was Barbie meets the Stepford Wives.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 04-16-2009 at 05:19 PM.

  6. #46
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3415732;
    I don't know...I think Allison might be OK if she picks the right song. I could actually see her singing "Don't Leave Me This Way" and doing pretty well with it...
    What is this "pick" you speak of? I am not familiar with it (at least in the true context of this show)...

    The real process is more like throwing darts at a target. Take a dozen songs and make at least half of them outright bad, and two or three only good with the right person. Then have seven people fight over them by making a list of their top five or so choices, and let either random chance or producer intervention (its never quite clear which) determine who gets what.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-16-2009 at 05:28 PM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  7. #47
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,503

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3416175;
    I can't remember why, but Carrie Underwood did not get good reviews when she sang "MacArthur Park." That song always perturbed me. Why would somebody write about leaving a cake out in the rain and being terribly upset about it? I suppose it's an analogy that goes over my head.

    Oh, I stand corrected. Just found the performance on youtube. She got rave reviews for her vocals, but Simon said her look was Barbie meets the Stepford Wives.
    As much as I love Carrie, even I, hated that she sang that song. It is at the very top of the list for worst songs ever written. She sang the song well, but it is such a wretched song.

    Anyone that is thinking about leaving a cake out in the rain, make it a sponge cake & save yourself some heart ache.

  8. #48
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC USA
    Posts
    3,759

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3416175;
    I can't remember why, but Carrie Underwood did not get good reviews when she sang "MacArthur Park." That song always perturbed me. Why would somebody write about leaving a cake out in the rain and being terribly upset about it? I suppose it's an analogy that goes over my head.
    FYI

    MacArthur Park is a true (seven minute) groaner of a song written by Jimmy Webb when he was a young breakthrough songwriter (I think he was 20). Unfortunately, it is the work for which he is most famous (for the Richard Harris hit version that they never stopped playing on the radio in 1968).

    Much, much better Webb songs (just to show he's grown since 1968) are:
    • By the Time I get to Phoenix
    • Galveston
    • Didn't We
    • I Love You and it's All I Know
    • The Moon's a Harsh Mistress
    • If These Walls Could Speak

  9. #49
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,104

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;3415571;
    Will anyone pull a Bo and cheat the theme like he did with Vehicle?
    Adam cheated with Ring Of Fire on country week, so I could see it happening Disco week, although probably not Adam again. I think he will excel with this theme.


    I can see Lil butchering I Will Survive by Gloria Gainor.


    I would love to see someone take on It's Raining Men.

  10. #50
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

    Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3416223;
    FYI

    MacArthur Park is a true (seven minute) groaner of a song written by Jimmy Webb when he was a young breakthrough songwriter (I think he was 20). Unfortunately, it is the work for which he is most famous (for the Richard Harris hit version that they never stopped playing on the radio in 1968).

    Much, much better Webb songs (just to show he's grown since 1968) are:
    • By the Time I get to Phoenix
    • Galveston
    • Didn't We
    • I Love You and it's All I Know
    • The Moon's a Harsh Mistress
    • If These Walls Could Speak
    I was actually thinking of the Donna Summer version. It's one of the few Disco songs I can tolerate. I always thought the song was about lost love with the whole cake in the rain metaphor a bit above the usual Disco era garbage.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.