+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar

Re: The Infamous... Disco Week (speculation and pre-air discussion)

Ok parts of me like this list.. and other parts do not..

Lil: MacArthur Park
    Everyone one said she would do Donna Summer.. and if this holds true, she is. HOWEVER given her voice and range, I would almost she did the Richard Harris version. His was 1968, at the beginning of Disco and Donnas’ was in '78 at the end, so either would fit. As horrid as this song is, i still love it.. in the end I do not think Lil with do it justice (in either form) and I also fail to see where she can bring something new to it. She blew her gosp-it-up card on last week's The Rose. Not to mention that she should have been the one to do Stand By Me in its original gospel version.

Matt: September

Do you remember the twenty-first night of September?

I think this would be a good choice for Matt, and again as much as I hate to admit it, I still like some Disco and EW&F were some of the best artists in the era. The music they wrote still stands up today. This may be the song that Matt needed to do to save his butt this week.

Kris: How Deep is Your Love

This should be interesting.. I am not sure he could pull it off. Adam could, no doubt, hands down, grand slam. Kris, not sure. He needed to go with a ballad, and this is, with little doubt, the best known ballad of the Disco Era in my opinion. Will that help him.. or hurt him? Barry Gibb has a very distinct voice, he will be a tough copy. (see Adam comments again above)

Allison: Dancing Queen

Wow, no. I was on my knees praying when I read this part of the list that it was not true. As many jokes that were being made about it, I think the only one this season… hell in ANY season... that would have the vocal chops to pull off ABBA, is Adam Lambert. Not that I would really like to see him do Dancing Queen, but he could and I would not bat a perfectly MANscaraed eyelash at it.

Adam: Call Me

Sure, why not? He could muster a more than passable Blondie/Debbie Harry tribute here. I don’t think there is much that he would have to or even should change bout this song. I just think there were better songs out there for him to do.. but if nothing else, Blondie is always fun.

Anoop: Ladies Night & Danny: Disco Inferno

To me the 2 are interchangeable; I think they have both needed to go for a while. Most of the country would agree with me on Anoop, but Danny needs to be knocked off that high horse he’s been on all season. I don’t think this song could be another tribute to his late wife, will that mean less votes this week since he can’t make the Heavenward glance at the end?
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Fogey

Wait, what exactly is this week's theme? Is it "Disco Songs" or "Songs from the Disco Era" or something else altogether? Some of the songs mentioned are not disco songs and wouldn't benefit from being made into such for this show, but if is anything from that era, well, that opens up huge possibilities.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray Wonderputt Champion FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3420016;
    Wait, what exactly is this week's theme? Is it "Disco Songs" or "Songs from the Disco Era" or something else altogether? Some of the songs mentioned are not disco songs and wouldn't benefit from being made into such for this show, but if is anything from that era, well, that opens up huge possibilities.
    Do many songs really benefit from being sung on this show??

As far as I knew the Theme is "Disco" thats all thats been said. I do not discount any of the songs mentioned as non-disco.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

MJ's blog is reporting that Anoop will be singing Donna Summer's "Dim All the Lights." If he can do to it what he did to "True Colors," he might do well.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3419855;

Kris: How Deep is Your Love

This should be interesting.. I am not sure he could pull it off. Adam could, no doubt, hands down, grand slam. Kris, not sure. He needed to go with a ballad, and this is, with little doubt, the best known ballad of the Disco Era in my opinion. Will that help him.. or hurt him? Barry Gibb has a very distinct voice, he will be a tough copy. (see Adam comments again above)
    However, there have been some covers of BeeGees songs throughout the years which have been done pretty well. I agree with you that Barry has a distinct voice, but their songs leave a lot of room for re-styling, and (I hate this cliche, but it fits) "making the song your own". Look at what Destiny's Child did with Emotion. There's a lot of room there, and if Kris takes advantage of it, then I don't think Barry's voice is really that much of a threat to haunt him.
    Allison: Dancing Queen

Wow, no. I was on my knees praying when I read this part of the list that it was not true. As many jokes that were being made about it, I think the only one this season… hell in ANY season... that would have the vocal chops to pull off ABBA, is Adam Lambert. Not that I would really like to see him do Dancing Queen, but he could and I would not bat a perfectly MANscaraed eyelash at it.
    I agree with you in general about the difficulty of taking on the vocals of Abba. However, as a long and devoted Abba fan who can recite Abba: The Movie and teared up at the stage show of Mama Mia realizing it's the closest I'll ever get to seeing Abba live, Dancing Queen has always irritated me for being as big of a hit as it was because IMO it does NOT showcase the vocals of Agnetha and Anni-Frid. I think that Dancing Queen is somewhat unique in the Abba catalog because it's more about the music and the mood of the song and not about the vocals and harmonies as most of their songs are. So if someone is going to take on Abba, Dancing Queen is the song to take on. If Allison does it right, I think it's a good opportunity for her to show the personaltiy the judges think has been lacking. of course the flip side of that is that if her personality doesn't shine through, it'll put her in a tough spot.

FORT Fogey

Kris: How Deep is Your Love This should be interesting.. I am not sure he could pull it off. Adam could, no doubt, hands down, grand slam. Kris, not sure. He needed to go with a ballad, and this is, with little doubt, the best known ballad of the Disco Era in my opinion.
    I think Kris could do well on an uptempo tune - as a matter of fact, now that he is the master of the ballad I think he NEEDS to go uptempo. He sounded great on Maniac last week and he did a good job on Man in the Mirror during semi-finals.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3420185;
    I think Kris could do well on an uptempo tune - as a matter of fact, now that he is the master of the ballad I think he NEEDS to go uptempo. He sounded great on Maniac last week and he did a good job on Man in the Mirror during semi-finals.
    I agree with you. It's time he shows he can rock it a little - and hopefully, much better than he did with "All She Wants To Do Is Dance". He needs to show that he's not a one-trick pony before people start getting the feeling that he is.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

+ Reply to Thread