+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme weeks

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Theme weeks

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte;3386671;
    Interesting idea to have them do songs by artists with the same first name. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave Allison much to do except Allison Kraus...hmmmm, trying to imagine "When You Say Nothing At All" as a rock ballad.
    I was actually thinking: Allison Crowe, but Allison Moorer fits as well. I think Miss Iraheta would be able to handle either.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Babycakee;3386740;
    I think Bryan Adams night would be great and he has a heck of a song list to choose from.

Lurve me some Bryan Adams.
    He's done a lot of songs written by Mutt Lange...Shania Twain's ex, who has also written for Def Leppard.

Missed Tainted Love from last season since I boycotted Idol last year.

Bryan Adams night would totally rock. He's got so many great songs.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3386540;
    "Soundtrack" night is a possibility, but it means there is a risk of someone singing I Will Always Love You (which we narrowly avoided last night)
    I second that - songs from movies. Or if you want to narrow it down more, how about Academy Award winning songs:

"You'll Be in My Heart"
    "Colors of the Wind"
    "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"
    "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"
    "Take My Breath Away"
    "Flashdance... What a Feeling"
    "Up Where We Belong"
    "Evergreen"
    "The Way We Were"
    "For All We Know"
    "Windmills of Your Mind"
    "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head"
    "Moon River"

I'd like that category too. I'd also add Oscar nominated songs...not just the ones that won.
    Lots of good songs have lost that award...and lots of crappy ones have won. (like "That Thing We Do")
    You missed one of my faves tho..."Let the River Run" from Working Girl.
    And who would sing "Lose Yourself" by Eminem or "You Light Up My Life"? LOL

FORT Fanatic

A few ideas:

HIP HOP night doesn't necessarily mean "rap" (and IDOL leaves a lot of room for interpretation ie Ring of Fire)therefore Mary J. Blige, Black Eyed Peas, Lauren Hill, The Fugees (who did a version of Killing me Softly), Jodeci (Come and Talk to Me). So just because it's a Hip Hop song doesn't mean the idols have to sing it in the style....

HERE'S MY IDEA FOR A THEME NIGHT (or 4 of them): The judges LOVE to talk about song choices, I think one night should be one judge's choices for all of the contestants. Let Simon pick all the songs, then Paula, then Kara, then Randy. It would cover 4 weeks and for once we wouldn't have to hear how they made a wrong song choice.

The judges choose a song for the final 2, but it might be an intersting thought for them to choose a song for the contestants earlier in the competition. Hmmmmm....

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3395787;
    The judges choose a song for the final 2, but it might be an intersting thought for them to choose a song for the contestants earlier in the competition. Hmmmmm....
    And those tend to be some of the best performances. I like that the judges can paint the picture of the singers that they have in their minds.

How about theme Songs from former Idols? Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry, Jordin Sparks etc. There are many recording artists who have come through American Idol, and many great songs so it would be nice if they'd do theme about their songs.

I would love to see a theme week where the judges pick one song for all the idols to sing.

The challenge will be:

1) sheer vocal ability; and

2) how well they put their own spin on the song pertaining to the kind of music they want to record.

They did something similar on SYTYCD two seasons ago where one night, all the solos were to the same song...that John Mayer song about waiting for the world to change. It was cool to see what all the dancers did with the same song.

Now what would be a good song choice for something like that? A song that lends itself to be changed up and is also a standard.

The Way You Look Tonight
    Stormy Weather
    Somewhere Over the rainbow (an Idol fave)
    Puff the Magic Dragon
    All of My Love (Led Zepp)
    Ain't Love Grand!

+ Reply to Thread