+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Michael Sarver - Season 8

Re: Michael Sarver - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3388137;
    There's already some good whispers about him, sort of like what happened to Bucky Covington.
    I don't see a similarity in the two cases.

I still remember Bucky, a good season btw.
    I will have forgotten about Michael, once I'm finished writing this.

I agree that it was time for Michael. or Megan to go. I wasn't picky about the order. I just want her gone next week. But the thing I really loved about Michael is that he is very gracious. Simon was horrible to him each week and he kept a smile on his face and I think he was just grateful to be there. He was very gracious last night as he was leaving.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle;3395272;
    I don't see a similarity in the two cases.

I still remember Bucky, a good season btw.
    I will have forgotten about Michael, once I'm finished writing this.
    The similarity has nothing to do with sound- the similarity has to do with, as I wrote, the professional music communtiy showing support for both men, despite Simons, ahem, `expert' opinion.
    I think the guy has a lot of talent, it's jus that he lacks the same degree of experience that many of the other contestants have. I can't exlplain why I feel the way i do about this guys potential, other than to say it's a gut feeling. He has issues with his nerves, he is awkard but I can hear moments of pure talent.
    IMO, American Idol was a lot more enjoyable in the begining, when the contestants weren't necessarily as experienced, aware and as professional as some are now. I love the idea of diamonds in the rough given the oppurtunity to go for it. Now, there isn't a level playing field, to use a standard cliche. I'm not saying the show ever had a level playing field, but now it's more lopsided than ever.
    Sometimes it is better to be kind than it is to be right

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3395452;
    I agree that it was time for Michael. or Megan to go. I wasn't picky about the order. I just want her gone next week. But the thing I really loved about Michael is that he is very gracious. Simon was horrible to him each week and he kept a smile on his face and I think he was just grateful to be there. He was very gracious last night as he was leaving.
    Michaels gracious attitude toward Simon is in stark contrast to Simon's immature attitude and overall lack of class.
    Simon's behavior is one of the reasons' I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be on that show- Allison comes to mind this year. She's just a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3394922;
    I thought Michael was much better than Megan. She definitely should have gone home before Michael. At least he could sing a song without sounding "all over the place".
    You know what's funny, though? As much as I don't care for her, at least I know who she is in terms of sound- there are a few performers this year who pretty much all meld together in terms of their voices-very much interchangeable voices regarding a few of the guys.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I think Michael will do very well on the Country scene - I hope he chooses to go that way.
    He showed a lot of class in his exit from the show. Good luck Michael - you seem like a very nice guy and you deserve to do well.

Michael left with a very classy exit, still smiling. I wish him the best of luck!
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3396881;
    I think Michael will do very well on the Country scene - I hope he chooses to go that way.
    He showed a lot of class in his exit from the show. Good luck Michael - you seem like a very nice guy and you deserve to do well.
    I agree that Michael would do well with Country and I hope that's the route he chooses as I am a big Country fan. I think he is a very classy southern gentleman.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

He may not have been my favorite, but he was definitely a class act and should have outlasted Megan.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Sarver A symbol Of Hope For Town Once Known Only For Racial Slaying
    BLAIR DEDRICK ORTMANN
    April, 1, 2009

A week after his journey on ``American Idol'' ended, Michael Sarver told The Enterprise he's proud fans think highly of his character, that his album might contain some surprises and that even though country music has played a part in his life, his music isn't country, no matter what Simon says.In blogs and comments across the States, fans have noticed Sarver's manners - he was the guy saying ``yes, ma'am'' to Paula Abdul and ``no, sir'' to Simon Cowell - and that's something Sarver's proud of.

For Sarver, the belief that everyone deserves an equal amount of respect is something he grew up with, and he found it working for him on the show.

``I did notice a progressive respect returned back to me and I think that's the story of life, that's how things go. You sow it, you get it,'' he said.

The respect Sarver has for some of the other Idol contestants, and they for him, could lead to some cooperation in the future, he said. Danny Gokey has said that there is a song that Sarver has written Gokey wants on his first CD.

When he turned to music at age 11, he needed something to bring him peace because of an abusive home situation with a stepfather, he said.

``I found myself really depending on music,'' he said. ``That's when music became real to me, and that's when I realized there's something inside of me more than just a listener but someone who could create and speak through music myself.''

``I believe that once you gain a voice, you can speak about those things you believe, but until you gain a voice and the respect of people, you can't just expect them to listen to you just because you are,'' he said.

Sarver isn't worried about being sent home, however, because he achieved his goal of making the summer tour.

``You walk away winning anyway because you start a career,'' he said.

His fans in Jasper aren't disappointed either.

Throughout the season, Jasper residents have seen the 28-year-old Sarver as a symbol of hope for a new image for the town, which has been seen as racist since the dragging death of James Byrd Jr. almost 11 years ago. Takina Boatner Brooks, Sarver's self-proclaimed biggest fan and the niece of James Byrd Jr., was crying as they told Sarver to go home."I though he would hand on a little longer," she said. "I didn't think he would be the last, but I feel like he's a winner already because of his demeanor and good sportsmanship.

"I think he did us justice. He'll go far."

``You sit under that type of cloud for 10 years and when people hear the name of your town, that's what they think about,'' Sarver said about Jasper's racist image. ``It's not about me, it's about that good things come out of the city of Jasper. People are excited that the world is getting to experience the good of Jasper, Texas.''

In spite of being sent home, Sarver still has the tour to look forward to.

"I didn't know my situation if I had to go back home without the tour. ... things are not easy right now," said Sarver in an interview this week with The Associated Press. "This says I have work this year. It's a blessing."

Throughout the season, Sarver has focused on his wife, Tiffany, and their children, Grayson and Makenna as his inspiration. From the beginning, he said he wanted to be on "American Idol" because of what a music career for him could mean for them.

More recently, he took time on the show to look straight into the camera and say hello to his children. In a heart-breaking moment, he said his daughter asked him why he didn't want to be with her anymore.

"Being away from my family, that has to be the toughest part of this," Sarver said. "But I don't want to go home yet."

The family has maintained its privacy through the months of "American Idol," staying out of the spotlight.

Even so, some information has come to light through the weeks, including that Sarver turned to music when he was about 11 after "a bit of abuse in my home," Sarver told People magazine in the March 23 issue.

In 2001, Harvest Church discovered Sarver singing at a football game Marshall told The Enterprise in a February article.

Wednesday and Thursday, the church's support for Sarver was evident as church members gathered to watch the performances and voted furiously after the show.

"Michael really has talent," said O'Gilbert. "To me, it seemed like he was holding back. I never saw the Michael I see every Sunday. He can just make chills go up your arms.

Fellow church member Rosa Mijares agreed.

"I thought that was not fair that Simon just blurted out he was going to make a decision and Michael was going home," Mijares said by phone.

"The good thing was, you looked at him(Sarver), looked at his face, he was so secure and calm. We're so proud of him even though he didn't make No. 1."
    Last edited by redsox girl; 04-02-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add information

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast