+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Matt Giraud - Season 8

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Matt Giraud - Season 8

I'm glad Matt was saved.

He certainly deserves to be there over Lil, who hasn't had a "good" performance in about five weeks. VFTW kept her in the competition this week or else she'd be on her way home.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre;3415829;
    While I agree with those who've not found Matt's on-air performances to be the best, I think that he's got a great recording voice -- seems to me his studio recordings show that -- and I'm sure he's a great musician.

To me, what he has done on the piano while singing goes miles beyond what any other instrument-playing contestant has done before on the show -- doing not just ballads but tough uptempo stuff, playing so often with the full band and not just on his own, and just his piano playing in general strikes me as kind of running rings around Scott's, Brooke's and David A's (although I certainly admire them, too, for what they did) ...

All that makes me think that maybe the main problem Matt has had with his vocals has been nerves. And if I were a judge -- looking for a good recording artist -- I think I would have wondered whether giving him a big big boost of confidence might help cure him of the stage nerves so he could live up to his potential on the stage. i wonder whether that's what they were thinking, too. I guess we'll see if it works. (I'm not very confident it will, I must say. I think it's pretty hard to just suddenly get a big increase in confidence. I guess we'll see.)
    I could not agree with you more. Matt is great on the piano and the songs he chooses show his great vocal ability. I have nothing against these contestants but Matt is heck a lot more talented than Danny, Anoop, Kris or Lil. He didn't deserve to go home last night and I am happy the judges saved him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre;3415829;
    While I agree with those who've not found Matt's on-air performances to be the best, I think that he's got a great recording voice -- seems to me his studio recordings show that -- and I'm sure he's a great musician.

To me, what he has done on the piano while singing goes miles beyond what any other instrument-playing contestant has done before on the show -- doing not just ballads but tough uptempo stuff, playing so often with the full band and not just on his own, and just his piano playing in general strikes me as kind of running rings around Scott's, Brooke's and David A's (although I certainly admire them, too, for what they did) ...

All that makes me think that maybe the main problem Matt has had with his vocals has been nerves. And if I were a judge -- looking for a good recording artist -- I think I would have wondered whether giving him a big big boost of confidence might help cure him of the stage nerves so he could live up to his potential on the stage. i wonder whether that's what they were thinking, too. I guess we'll see if it works. (I'm not very confident it will, I must say. I think it's pretty hard to just suddenly get a big increase in confidence. I guess we'll see.)
    I LOVE Matt for lots of reasons, and I am thrilled he got another chance. It was interesting that the judges used the save on him, though, since Danny, Allison, Matt, and Kris are still in it, and they seem to "woo" the judges more than Matt.

Just a couple of thoughts....

1) I agree with Simon that Matt won't win. The fact they used the save on him given this admission means they kept him around for other reasons - either to build tv drama or because they believe in him. My thoughts are that it is a little bit of both.

2) I think the judges actually believe in Matt and that they recognize that nerves are getting the best of him.

3) Based on a variety of posts in this thread, Matt has a great recording voice. I'll bet the judges and producers listen to earlier recordings that contestants may have made to help them guide the show accordingly. Since his AI performances havn't been outstanding, I can't help but think they hear something in Matt's recordings that makes them believe in him post-Idol.

4) Snap to Lil. Simon said they'd use the save on one of the bottom two and since it ended up being Matt, Lil was sent a huge message. I don't think we've seen the best of either of these two just yet, and while I was holding out for Lil, I think she may have peaked. Matt has not.

5) Matt's audition and Hollywood performances are strong enough for me to believe he's got it in him. The judge's use of the save reinforces this notion.

6) I think Simon told Matt he won't win with reverse-psychology in mind, i.e. you won't win, so just relax, have fun, and do what you do. Without all the pressure, Matt may, in fact, do better than he's done in the past.

As Simon said, he won't win. Still, I'm glad he gets to stay a bit longer.
    Last edited by Jexter; 04-16-2009 at 07:45 PM.

FORT Fogey

4) Snap to Lil. Simon said they'd use the save on one of the bottom two and since it ended up being Matt, Lil was sent a huge message. I don't think we've seen the best of either of these two just yet, and while I was holding out for Lil, I think she may have peaked. Matt has not.
    .[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you're right about this. I can imagine Simon thinking, Well, Lil may not get the message when I said that I would consider saving only *one* of them -- she could easily think I meant her. ... But if I save Matt, well, then she'll get the Snap! ... I suppose there might be some lingering hope in him that she'll take that as a wake-up Snap, but I think he probably has come to the same conclusion as you -- she's peaked. I think she has, for the moment, since I don't see her being able to process what the problem is, at least within the difficult, distracting environment of being on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre;3416824;
    I don't think we've seen the best of either of these two just yet...
    After how many weeks?
    I think we did, and a dash extra.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle;3416828;
    After how many weeks?
    I think we did, and a dash extra.

Just to clarify -- That's Jexter's quote and not mine. Thanks to my inability to work the non-mouse-mouse-y thing on my laptop, I failed to do the Quote function correctly.

For me -- I am about 100 percent sure that, as far as the show goes, we've already heard the best of Lil and I'm afraid that we've heard the best of Matt because I really doubt that he'll be able to shake his nerves next week, despite the boost of confidence from the Save.... I wouldn't rule out either of them getting their acts together and producing better on-stage music down the line, though. I think the tour will really help Matt conquer his nerves, for example.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre;3416920;
    For me -- I am about 100 percent sure that, as far as the show goes, we've already heard the best of Lil and I'm afraid that we've heard the best of Matt because I really doubt that he'll be able to shake his nerves next week, despite the boost of confidence from the Save.... I wouldn't rule out either of them getting their acts together and producing better on-stage music down the line, though. I think the tour will really help Matt conquer his nerves, for example.
    Unfortunately, you may be right about Matt. Maybe I'm just engaged in wishful - rather than realistic - thinking.

Disco week will knock a few out the water. That's for sure.

FORT Fogey

Adam B. Vary gives a first hand account of the "save" from inside Television City on Wednesday night in his Entertainment Weekly article American Idol: On the scene at the Top 7 results night.

Ryan gave the dueling piano bar player the bad news. And it was at this precise moment that the mood inside the studio shifted into an entirely new gear... The energy in the room just changed, became more charged and focused. Right before Matt began to sing, Danny yelled “Come on!” like a track teammate rooting on his buddy right before the big race — but no one could hear him, since the entire audience was awash in vocal cheerleading.

And then Matt started singing. I’ve since watched the performance back on TV, so I know the guy’s vocals weren’t even close to flawless... [In the studio] he just sounded good, solid, far better than he did the night before... Regardless, before Matt was even through the chorus, his fellow Idols were shooting each other knowing looks that clearly meant “Oh man, he’s nailing it — he’s totally getting saved!” Once Matt made it to the bridge, stepping down to the platform in front of the judges, the audience was pretty much beside itself. Whole sections spontaneously rose en masse, like a stadium crowd watching an underdog running back miraculously closing in on the goal line. When he finished, the crowd roared their approval, and Kris and Allison mimed throwing their shoes at him, they were so happy...

As the judges deliberated, those chants of “Save! Save! Save!” — goaded on by all six remaining Idols — brought a huge grin to my face. This show, especially this season, practically demands cynicism from its audience, and yet it is still capable of providing a truly unrehearsed, authentic, completely cheesy capital-M Moment. I could practically hear the score from Rudy playing in the background, and I loved it.

I would not be surprised at all, by the way, if you’re rolling your eyes right now — it was amazing to me just how little all of this came through on TV. But trust me: I’m not exaggerating, or, at least, I’m not exaggerating how I personally experienced it all. And besides, you don’t need to be a cynic to recognize that Simon Cowell can read a room’s mood as well as anyone, and that room was quite clearly pointing him in only one direction.

FORT Fogey

Was it me or did he not sounds fantastic singing "Maniac" in the group sing?

I would buy it.

FORT Fogey

He's one of my favorite singers this season. I realize that Adam is so "above" everyone else that it isn't funny -- but I put Allison and Matt next in line. I hope that will be the final three but I'm not so great at predicting this show. (I thought Melinda Doolittle would win and she didn't!)

+ Reply to Thread