+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Allen - Season 8

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Re: Kris Allen - Season 8

I think Kris is probably a better all-around musician than Adam, but Adam is more the showman. Kris can sing, play at least two instruments well, arrange songs and maybe write songs (I'm not sure about that). Plus, he has a very "radio friendly" voice and style.
    Adam's style is especially suited for live concert, the stage, etc., and I think he can also write songs. But both guys are easy on the eyes, and Kris, supposedly, has the AI folks backing him (maybe in addition to Adam?).
    I'm feeling a bit of deja vu -- it's 2003 and AI2 all over again?

Of course, the rules have changed since then. The AI people are way into supporting the also-rans, since about Season 5 (when Taylor foiled Simon's plans and won). And all the top 10 get to release full-length studio recordings of songs for purchase on iTunes and to radio. That changes the name of the game (and I hear Kris has actually beaten Adam sometimes in that area). This should be interesting.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;3495644;
    I haven't seen this video of his anthem, but I have noticed that in live versions of pretty much every song, when he has to go for a note that's near the top of his range he opens the vowel up into an "ay" sound in order to get it on pitch. He did the same thing in No Boundaries and in a couple of the renditions of Heartless I heard during the post-win blitz. I would assume it gets even worse when he's fatigued or nervous.

So without hearing it yet, I would expect that he didn't say the wrong word there, but said "free" with the vowel so open that if you didn't catch the consonant at the beginning you'd mishear it.
    From the little I know about vocal training, I gather that it's very hard to sing a prolonged "eeeeee" sound without tightening or closing your throat (a no-no).
    It's a lot better to sing an extended "pure vowel" such as the short "e" (as in "temple"). The long "a" sound is really a diphthong of "eh" and "ee," and the longer you hold the note, the more time you spend on the "eh" sound.
    If you sing "free" as a held-out "freh" followed by a brief "ee" at the very end, it may sound like "fray."
    (Does that make sense to the non-singers amongst you? LOL)

Ennyhoo, singers often prounounce words funny, just to make the sound come out better.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3490414;
    Take a look at this photo of Kris posing with Orlando Magicís Dwight Howard. I think Dwight's arm is bigger than Kris!

KrisNBA.jpg (image)
    Great picture! I just love Dwight Howard's shoulders! Yummy.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

FORT Fogey

Well, well... "Pocket Idol" isn't letting himself get pushed around by 19E. After three performances on tour, Kris has dropped the soul-killing (not to mention set killing) No Boundaries and replaced it with All These Things That I’ve Done by the Killers tonight in Sacramento. Way to go Kris!

I was just coming to post that excellent news. I'm glad because 1) Yeah Pocket Idol gots backbone, and 2) That fluff of a song really did not fit in with the rest of his awesome set.

Also, ha ha, sit down, Kara. I'm indulging in a really slight hope that this rejection of her will carry through to season 9.

FORT Fogey

Kris will not be appearing on the Tonight Show this Wednesday due to the death of his grandmother. Last night he posted on Twitter:

I know I was supposed to do conan on wed, but there was a death in my family. But everyone watch @Allison4Realzzz on Wed. She is filling in.
    …and by filling in I mean @Allison4Realzzz is gonna rock Conan’s face off on Wednesday
    Thoughts and prayers go out to the Allen family.

Access Hollywood is reporting that Kris will not miss any tour dates.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 07-14-2009 at 07:36 AM.

FORT Fogey

Here's a Twitter exchange from yesterday between Kris and Annop:

KrisAllen4Real : @AnoopDoggDesai smells bad. I still live him though.

KrisAllen4Real : Not live....love. Dang iPhone.

AnoopDoggDesai : @KrisAllen4Real didn't mention that I was working out. Talk about fame going to someone's head. Sorry to offend the winner's airspace. Haha

AnoopDoggDesai : But I appreciate him 'living' me. It's a lifestyle choice that he's chosen to make. He's a great Desai'ple.

KrisAllen4Real : You're right @AnoopDoggDesai. I shouldn't have said that...or maybe I should have gone into detail.

KrisAllen4Real : I am the #1 Desai'ple.

AnoopDoggDesai : And of course I'm a devout Kristian
    KrAdam out. KrAnnop in.

This is hysterical. Both are witty and fun. Thanks for the exchange.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

THe news is now saying that Paula may return to AI if they go up in the money. I sure hope so.
    The prospect of watching Victoria Beckham, to me, is about as appealing as walking over hot coals in the desert.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

The LA Times published the first part of what will be a four part interview with Kris, The Ultimate Interview. If you haven't seen the previous installments (the Adam Lambert interview starts here) - these are in-depth biographical interviews that let the Idols tell their life and career journeys. Expect the rest of the Kris story to come out over the next week or so.

A few interesting facts:
    • Kris did NOT grow up in Conway, AR. He moved there during college. He spent most of his life in Jacksonville AR, and went to high school in Little Rock.
    • In high school he studied and played mostly classical music.
    • He is self taught on the guitar and piano.
    • He met Katy in elementary school.

+ Reply to Thread