+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 80 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Allen - Season 8

Re: Kris Allen - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by bell;3488024;
    i'm one of the few who wants the national anthem just simple singing. i hate it when when a simple song goes like close to 4 mins because certain singers decide to belt out and elongate words "hooooooooooooooooommmmme oooooooooooooooooooooffffff ttttthhhhhhheee frfreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" etc. seriously certain songs yes...but national anthem just keep it simple so us regular folks who sing along are on the same page. its like i'm done singing the anthem and theres still like about 3 or 4 more lines left when certain singers sing it.

and i think kris did a good job at it. simple and good.
    I didn't see Kris sing it but I totally agree. It annoys the crap out of me when they showboat. I think it's totally disrespectful. I hated the little autistic girl's (that's all over the news singing the National Anthem) rendition as well. It's so obnoxious when little kids sing like that! It's not the singing that should be showcased, it's the song IMO. I have a new saying now "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". I think that there are some people **cough** Adam **cough** Allison ** cough that would do well to remember that! I think I may have to change my sig line!
    Last edited by stacerace; 06-11-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD;3488262;
    I don't know where anyone got the idea he messed up the words, unless maybe they thought he actually sang "fray" instead of "free" in the last line.
    I haven't seen this video of his anthem, but I have noticed that in live versions of pretty much every song, when he has to go for a note that's near the top of his range he opens the vowel up into an "ay" sound in order to get it on pitch. He did the same thing in No Boundaries and in a couple of the renditions of Heartless I heard during the post-win blitz. I would assume it gets even worse when he's fatigued or nervous.

So without hearing it yet, I would expect that he didn't say the wrong word there, but said "free" with the vowel so open that if you didn't catch the consonant at the beginning you'd mishear it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3487933;
    No. He totally left out - the free. He put in the brave 2x - It became the land of the brave and the home of the brave. But nobody was free.
    Once again. He left out the free - He repeated brave 2x.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv;3495644;
    I haven't seen this video of his anthem, but I have noticed that in live versions of pretty much every song, when he has to go for a note that's near the top of his range he opens the vowel up into an "ay" sound in order to get it on pitch. He did the same thing in No Boundaries and in a couple of the renditions of Heartless I heard during the post-win blitz. I would assume it gets even worse when he's fatigued or nervous.

So without hearing it yet, I would expect that he didn't say the wrong word there, but said "free" with the vowel so open that if you didn't catch the consonant at the beginning you'd mishear it.
    You are right, that's pretty much what happened. It sounds like Fray instead of Free, but it is the correct words. I think it's partially an accent thing, since as you mentioned he does it on other songs too.

He did not elongate free at all. He omitted free 2x and instead repeated land of the brave, home of the brave in each verse. He never said free.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3495669;
    He did not elongate free at all. He omitted free 2x and instead repeated land of the brave, home of the brave in each verse. He never said free.
    Well I just watched in on youtube again and clearly heard land of the free, though free still sounds like fray. Maybe my hearing and my DVR recording are totally off though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

On Youtube, the song lasts 2:17 mins. I just FF'd toward the end.
    He sings Brave - elongated - at 1:59 and then he repeats it at end of song, too.
    So, it comes out as land of the Brave and home of the Brave, instead of land of the Free and home of the Brave.
    I have nothing against Kris. If another singer did this, I would comment, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;3495765;
    Well I just watched in on youtube again and clearly heard land of the free, though free still sounds like fray. Maybe my hearing and my DVR recording are totally off though.
    You're hearing is not off. He sings free, sounds like fray. You can tell the difference between the way he says the 'f' sound as opposed to the 'b' sound, as well as the way he finishes the two words that he's singing different words. The free does sound like fray, like he sang when he sang "No Boundries" on the finale but it sounds like no boundrays.
    Last edited by justCoz; 06-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.

All this discussion about Kris singing a song while Adam is featured in a major cultural magazine and has a profile on the news show 20/20. At least the Kris discussion is about singing (if only regarding words or pronunciation.) It would be nice, though, if he were recognized as the WINNER of American Idol. It's great that Adam is being recognized, but I think it would be better if he were also being discussed for his singing.

Sorry Kris...you have to crawl along in the mighty Adam's shadow. Maybe in two or three years you can emerge in your own right, but it won't be this year.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kris being overshadowed by Adam was bound to happen. Adam is just a more fascinating persona. He is bigger than life, and Kris does not have the same appeal. Kris is an okay singer that happened to win the competition for whatever reasons, but the real winner of the show was Adam. I'm sure to Kris's fans he is just great, so good for him. There have been instances in the past where the winner was overshadowed, but AI has never seen anything like Adam and the media storm following his every move. I'm sure Kris is grateful for the win and the benefits it will bring, but he will just not ever be in the same league as Adam. No offense intended, as Kris seems to be a really nice person.

+ Reply to Thread