+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 80 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Kris Allen - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Kris Allen - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by opiumchild;3464198;
    now the crappy coronation song is number 1 in the itunes top 100..congrats!
    I know! Good for Kris, but it's still a crappy song. The music biz is so incomprehensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3464318;
    I know! Good for Kris, but it's still a crappy song. The music biz is so incomprehensible to me.
    Unfortunately, the music business is totally dominated by tweens. That is why we have Miley Cyrus, etc. And that is why we keep getting bland and boring singers who can't sing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3464433;
    Unfortunately, the music business is totally dominated by tweens. That is why we have Miley Cyrus, etc. And that is why we keep getting bland and boring singers who can't sing.
    No worries.....we have Adam now. I bought his album on itunes and I am going to make my mother listen to Feeling Good. She loves that Rat Pack stuff and man, is his voice gorgeous on that song.

Sorry, this is the Kris thread. Just to respond to your post, I do think Kris can sing but he is very limited. His greatest talent is as a composer/arranger, I think.

I think there are a number of reasons why Kris won over Adam. Both are great performers with totally different styles of music. Because Kris' style is more mainstream, he appealed to more people and that got him more votes. It didn't hurt being from Arkansa rather than California. No one in California votes for someone because of where they're from. There's lots of famous people in California so they don't care that you're from there. Kris also had momentum going for him. Like Daughtry, Adam showed what he had early on in the contest and he lost the ability to surprise people. He was always good but it was never a surprise so people stopped saying 'Wow'.

I don't think it's the tweenie vote because if it was it would have made him popular early on. Kids tend to pick one and stick with him to the end. Kris' popularity grew as he sang more songs and more people saw what he could do. People liked him as the subtle choice.

About the Man in the Mirror vs Heartless debate. I think it's amazing that Kris made it through the semi-finals. Last years format would have allowed him time to grow but with this years format, if Matt or anyone else who was pimped had done well Kris would have been toast. According to What Not to Sing Kris was third best but given his lack of screen time that wouldn't usually be enough. The judges probably wouldn't have given him the wildcard. Maybe it was Man in the Mirror where the tweenie vote mattered. Tweenies might have voted for a pretty good performance from a pretty good looking guy.

I wonder who else might have done amazingly well if they had used the old style semi's? I think this years top 5 was great. The rest, with the exception of Alexis weren't all that good compared to other years.

Kim

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CdnINXSFan;3464496;
    I think there are a number of reasons why Kris won over Adam. Both are great performers with totally different styles of music. Because Kris' style is more mainstream, he appealed to more people and that got him more votes. It didn't hurt being from Arkansa rather than California. No one in California votes for someone because of where they're from. There's lots of famous people in California so they don't care that you're from there. Kris also had momentum going for him. Like Daughtry, Adam showed what he had early on in the contest and he lost the ability to surprise people. He was always good but it was never a surprise so people stopped saying 'Wow'.

I don't think it's the tweenie vote because if it was it would have made him popular early on. Kids tend to pick one and stick with him to the end. Kris' popularity grew as he sang more songs and more people saw what he could do. People liked him as the subtle choice.

About the Man in the Mirror vs Heartless debate. I think it's amazing that Kris made it through the semi-finals. Last years format would have allowed him time to grow but with this years format, if Matt or anyone else who was pimped had done well Kris would have been toast. According to What Not to Sing Kris was third best but given his lack of screen time that wouldn't usually be enough. The judges probably wouldn't have given him the wildcard. Maybe it was Man in the Mirror where the tweenie vote mattered. Tweenies might have voted for a pretty good performance from a pretty good looking guy.

I wonder who else might have done amazingly well if they had used the old style semi's? I think this years top 5 was great. The rest, with the exception of Alexis weren't all that good compared to other years.

Kim

I interpret subtle to mean "underdog with a smaller voice." I always found Adam to be very capable of subtlety, too. Kris had no choice but to play it subtle because he just can't go big. He does it well, don't get me wrong.

Looks like it wasn’t close, according to this article.

Kris Allen Talks ‘Idol’ Win: ‘I’m Just A Regular Guy’ | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos

Kris Allen Talks ‘Idol’ Win: ‘I’m Just A Regular Guy’

Kris Allen picked up the “American Idol ” title on Wednesday night, and while it may have shocked some media pundits who were expecting an Adam Lambert victory, a source close to the show revealed the final vote was not even close.

A top FOX source told Access Hollywood that the vote left Kris as the clear winner by a large margin.

And upon learning the news during his visit to Access Hollywood and “The Billy Bush” show on Wednesday morning, Kris wasn’t sure how to take the information.

“Really?” Kris said. “America’s gonna vote whichever way they want to… I don’t know. Whatever happened last night, was just a — it’s a total surprise for me so I don’t even know how to feel about that.”

When asked why he thought he prevailed over Adam, the 23-year-old Conway, Ark., singer suggested it may have been because he is “just a regular guy.”

“There’s not a whole lot of people that approve of the whole guy-liner thing and the nail polish and all that,” Kris said. “But for me, I love Adam and I think he’s one of the greatest people that I’ve met so far. For me, I’m just a regular guy and I think a lot of people just related to me.”

And Adam had Kris’ back – including just moments after the young man won the title, reminding him he had to sing “No Boundaries,” a song co-penned by “Idol” judge, Kara DioGuardi.

“Seriously, Adam hugged me and goes, ‘You have to sing that song now.’ I was like ‘Ohhhh gosh!’” Kris said of the moment. “I was like ‘OK, just sing it!’ I thought it went OK.”

As for the song, which Randy Jackson and Kara both decided might be too high for Kris during Tuesday’s competition, Kris admitted it is a tough tune to belt out.

“I like the song. It’s tough to sing, I’m not gonna lie. It’s a rough song, but Kara’s a great writer,” Kris said. “It was so much fun working with her in the studio. She’s a lot of fun to work with.”

Slightly easier was performing with superstars Keith Urban and Queen on the show’s season finale.

“Playing with Keith Urban, it was really great,” Kris said. “Getting to meet him — he’s just a laid back guy, just a cool guy, laid back just like I am and he was like, ‘Lets go out there,’ and that’s what we did. And had a great time and getting to play with Brian May and sing with him and sing with Queen? Wow! That was priceless.”

Another priceless moment came for Kris at the end of the show, when his wife of seven months, Katy, came on stage for a celebratory embrace.

“She’s been my biggest supporter and since we got together seven years ago, she’s always tried to make me work harder at music,” Kris said of his lady love. “She believed in me a lot because there were times when I wanted to give up and she was like, ‘No, don’t stop, you’re really great and you need to keep doing this and you’re not gonna be happy unless you keep doing this,’ and I think she’s happy that my dream has come true.”

I assumed it wasn't close because when it is, Ryan always makes a big deal about it. He didn't do that, so I assumed that Kris had won by a large margin.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3464529;
    And Adam had Kris’ back – including just moments after the young man won the title, reminding him he had to sing “No Boundaries,” a song co-penned by “Idol” judge, Kara DioGuardi.

“Seriously, Adam hugged me and goes, ‘You have to sing that song now.’ I was like ‘Ohhhh gosh!’” Kris said of the moment. “I was like ‘OK, just sing it!’ I thought it went OK.”
    I know exactly when that happened!!! I saw Adam say something to Kris and their reactions, and I even went back on the TiVo to see if I could catch it, but I couldn't. From their reactions I'm guessing that they aren't all that much more impressed with the song than we are...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3464491;
    No worries.....we have Adam now. I bought his album on itunes and I am going to make my mother listen to Feeling Good. She loves that Rat Pack stuff and man, is his voice gorgeous on that song.

Sorry, this is the Kris thread. Just to respond to your post, I do think Kris can sing but he is very limited. His greatest talent is as a composer/arranger, I think.
    Yeah, I loved Adam's performance of Muse's version of Feeling Good, but I really like Muse. His other performances didn't appeal to me.

Kris really is a talented composer/arranger, which is one of the things that people recognized and appreciated this season. Added to that, his beautiful voice, so smooth, pure, and recognizable, will make him a huge star!

Kris reminds me a bit of James Taylor. I think he will be a singer in that style. Taylor has sold a lot of albums.

That said, I was rooting a bit more for Adam. But one of the things I loved the most about the finale was how close the two guys were. That made the finale far more fun. I think that Kris and Adam are each other's biggest fans and we could all learn a lot from them. The fans of both sides are having a far rougher time with this than those guys are.

Kris will be fine, he has the AI machine behind him and will greatly benefit from it. Adam will be fine. He has a ton of groups/singers/etc in awe of him and should do great.

Congrats to Kris, it was very nice to see two considerate, nice guys at the end who were both talented out the wazoo!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

For those of you Kris fans that haven't got his songs at Itunes I would encourage you to do so. I bought all of the audio tracks, even the new single and it they are just awesome to listen to.

I can't wait to see what type of cd he puts out as his original stuff that is out there is brilliant. The Larry King show was brilliant too.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread