+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Gokey - Season 8

Re: Danny Gokey - Season 8

I admit he can sing but the guy reeks smugness.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3381722;
    I admit he can sing but the guy reeks smugness.
    I guess it's all perception because I don't see that at all.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

At this point he hasn't proven much to me - he seems very boy-bandish. But I definitely don't see smugness. He appears to be a nice young man with a good attitude.

Last year a lot of people thought that David Cook was smug, and I never saw it. Don't see it with Danny either.

I don't necessarily think Danny is smug, but IMO he comes across a bit as someone who talented and knows it and might let all the acclaim/fanaticism/adoration go to his head...

That being said, I do like him and expect him to be around for a long time to come...

I think his confidence and positive attitude come across to some as smugness....just like some people see shyness as conceipt.

Look at it this way....in the big scope of things that are important...I'm sure Danny would prefer to have his wife alive and healthy than for him to win or even be on an over-hyped American talent show.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by french dip;3382136;
    I think his confidence and positive attitude come across to some as smugness....just like some people see shyness as conceipt.

Look at it this way....in the big scope of things that are important...I'm sure Danny would prefer to have his wife alive and healthy than for him to win or even be on an over-hyped American talent show.JMO.
    Yeah, I think this very point is why he might come across to some as smug - in the big scheme of things, he's not likely to be devastated by being voted off AI when he's experienced REAL devastation in his life. Its not that he doesn't care or doesn't want to win, but that he knows he will survive it because he has already survived far worse.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I don't get the smug thing either. He admitted to a national audience that he can't dance and sing at the same time. It was humorous, self effacing and endearing. I don't think it was an act at all.

He's very likable and highly talented. Go Danny!

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3381931;
    I don't necessarily think Danny is smug, but IMO he comes across a bit as someone who talented and knows it and might let all the acclaim/fanaticism/adoration go to his head...

That being said, I do like him and expect him to be around for a long time to come...

I also think that Danny realizes that he is way beyond most of the other contestants in musical skill and experience. He's a professional music director, after all, and his singing shows an enormous amount of control. Yet so far, I haven't seen smugness from him, just sort of a dazed look of gratefulness that he is one of only a couple professionals (Adam Smith being the other) to be allowed to make it the Top 12. Each year, hundreds, maybe thousands, of solid professional singers are not chosen for the show because of boring back stories. The odd irony is that Danny's back story, the death of his wife, might have landed him on this show. I'm just glad he is on the show, because for me, he's a joy to listen to.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

There is smugness on the AI stage, it just isn't coming from Danny (imho).

Liked his MJ performance best. Even my hubby, who usually can't stand to be in the same room when AI is on the tv, paused on his way to the kitchen to listen. He pronounced him "pretty good". High praise, considering the source!

Danny isn't my favorite, but I will give him credit. He is good. I believe he could still be where he is today (in the top 11) even if they hadn't broadcast his hard-luck wife dying story.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread