+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Gokey - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Danny Gokey - Season 8

I'm hearing that Danny's grandfather died and that Danny went back home over the weekend for the funeral. According to MJ's blog, Danny came back to LA yesterday. Thoughts and prayers going out to the Gokeys.

Obviously this has had an impact on his AI week. This was a short week for the Idols, anyway, since last week's show ended a day later, and the schedule goes back to normal this week. Don't be surprised if he isn't in the Ford video.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3398088;
    I'm hearing that Danny's grandfather died and that Danny went back home over the weekend for the funeral. According to MJ's blog, Danny came back to LA yesterday. Thoughts and prayers going out to the Gokeys.

Obviously this has had an impact on his AI week. This was a short week for the Idols, anyway, since last week's show ended a day later, and the schedule goes back to normal this week. Don't be surprised if he isn't in the Ford video.
    Sorry to hear about his loss, but you can be sure that if he sucks Paula will relate the story to everyone thereby eliciting even more sympathy votes. Dead wife, dead grandfather, certainly a more than alive voting base.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3398096;
    Sorry to hear about his loss, but you can be sure that if he sucks Paula will relate the story to everyone thereby eliciting even more sympathy votes. Dead wife, dead grandfather, certainly a more than alive voting base.
    I see your point. What would elicit sympathy for anyone else, could be disastrous for Danny. MJ's Blog quotes a blog entry by a friend of Danny's:
    I just received a phone call from Danny this morning.

He was on his way back to California from a few days back in Wisconsin. Somewhat expected, Dannys grandfather went to be with the Lord this past week. The funeral was yesterday in Milwaukee. Our prayers go out to Danny and the whole family.
    But if you go back to the original blog, the last two sentences about the grandfather are now gone.

It looks like the plan may be to just not say anything. Which is probably the smart thing to do, but it makes me mad that people aren't allowed to grieve because the public automatically assumes the worst possible motive.

I honestly thought Danny & everyone else had moved beyond the wife story, but then I saw one of the Idol recap shows...sorry, I can't remember if it was Idol Live on TVGuide Channel or Idol Recap on the Fox Reality Channel, they all blend in eventually, & there were short blurbs & interviews with each of the remaining. And Danny was once again bringing up that he has to think of his wife to remember what he is doing this for. I know it has been a tough go for the guy & it is certainly something I wouldn't want to go through, but....

I really enjoy Danny's voice and he is one of my favorites this season. I didn't watch the early rounds, and DVR the show so I pretty much just watch the performances and listen to (some of) the judges' comments, so I don't think I heard anything about his dead wife on the show. So its pretty ironic to me that it keeps coming up - but for me, only on here as complaints that its always being talked about!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I agree they need to stop bringing it up.

They probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. He's a good singer and I think he could have gotten just as far without the sympathy votes.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Too bad. With his wife and grandfather gone, that's two fewer AI voters. (Okay, okay, I know I'm bad but I couldn't resist. ) I'm a huge fan of Danny's and think he deserves to win this year, regardless of his personal tragedies.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I thought this was a fun story as everyone keeps talking about Danny's penchant for changing his glasses. (My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere. It is dated today.. so...)

Danny Gokey's bold frames spotlight eyeglasses as facial art
    'American Idol' contestant has 18 pairs

Danny Gokey doesn't have just four eyes. By his optometrist's count, he has 38.

Some people show their personalities through, say, their 18-pair shoe wardrobes. The "American Idol" front-runner's style signature is his 18-pair collection of mostly rectangular, mostly thick-rimmed, often colorful glasses.

Gokey's weekly frame swap is giving specs the kind of exposure not seen since Sarah Palin made rimless glasses all the rage. With his dramatic, chameleon collection, "he's stepping out, and it's really nice to see that," says Deb Lochli-McGrath, an optician and spokesperson for the Vision Council, which represents the optical industry.

Gokey's optometrist, James Wagner of Southridge Optical in Greendale, Wis., says foot traffic has picked up as Gokey's national star has risen. Wagner has received calls from patients and opticians in Colorado, Arizona and Texas requesting information on specific frames worn by the Milwaukee music teacher while performing on "Idol."

Gokey's gigantic collection isn't typical, Wagner says. An ordinary fashion-conscious customer might own a half-dozen pairs. "But he's truly looking for his glasses to be part of his identity and to make him stand out, so he needs more than the average person," says Wagner, Gokey's doctor since the early 2000s. Before "Idol," Gokey's collection hovered at around five or six pairs.

In a February conference call to reporters, Gokey declared his love of glasses. Still, Wagner swears that Gokey's frame fetish is not just for flash: His vision is 20/200.

The show frowns on logo displays, so lately Wagner has shipped him some brand-hidden frames. One non-Wagner-approved pair, however, snuck onto the "Idol" stage: white plastic aviator specs, which Gokey sent to Wagner to fit with prescription lenses. "I saw them and I'm like, 'Oh my gosh, what an ugly pair of glasses!' I said, 'I don't remember him getting them from us,' " Wagner recalls.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'm still rooting for Danny. To me, he has the most vocal potential of anyone still on the show.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Absolutely loved his performance last night.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread