+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Gokey - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Danny Gokey - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3394054;
    I agree that advice doesn't have to be taken, but it was the way the whole thing was presented. Danny agreed to Smokey's advice and said the he thought Smokey knew best on the video and then 30 seconds later, does the opposite. If there had been some sort of explanation like he tried and it didn't work or something, it would have been no big deal, but completely disregarding the whole thing and not saying anything came off as arrogant (in my opinion). He should have given Smokey the respect of an explanation.
    But, the presentation was TPTB's fault... not Danny's. Danny was not given a chance to explain on the live show, just as the judges were not given the opportunity to even discuss his performance. For all we know, Danny did explain his decision in a PI and TPTB left it on the floor.

Who knows what took place in the days and hours between the meeting with Smokey and Danny? Who knows why TPTB chose to show that segment? I think a lot of critcism is being thrown Danny's way without knowledge of most of the facts and circumstances involved.

I do see what you're saying, but perhaps Danny didn't know that that scene was going to be shown on the video clip. I agree it does make it look a little awkward though, I remember this happening in past seasons as well although can't remember which contestant it was.

I would not necessarily fault Danny for not doing the song the way that Smokey told him would work best - if it had worked. But, it did not work. So, for him to ignore someone that has been making and producing hits for years, to change it like that made no good musical sense.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm sure Danny did try it Smokey's way, but he didn't feel it worked for him. Or perhaps he wanted to re-create a Motown ensemble feel by using background vocalists. That's his privilege. It is not a question of arrogance. Contestants have successfully disregarded advice from these mentors for years on AI. I don't know whether it would have been better for Danny to do it the other way, but I liked his performance fine the way it was.

The editing of last night's show was deliberately abrupt and left the question of Smokey's advice hanging. The AI producers are always trying to artificially jack up the drama on this show. One way is to pit singers against each other on results nights. Another way is to pit the singers against the mentors. For years, Ryan has always pointed out when a singer doesn't take the advice of the mentor (or the judges for that matter). Before the performance, Ryan always says, "Did Contestant A take Barry Manilow's (or insert mentor's name) advice? Ta Dum Ta Dum." It's always inconsiderate to the contestant, who should be given the the liberty of making up his own mind about these things in private.
    ----
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I didn't get Simon's comment about "clumsy and amateurish" at all. I think Danny did really good job with that song and was one of the best of the night. Too bad they had to rush the judges' comments so we didn't get an explanation what Simon meant. I've liked Danny since the beginning and I think he's the best singer in this competition this year, and I'm glad he's now picked good songs too two weeks in a row.

I still like Danny. I can see how some people wouldn't, but I think people are reading him the wrong way. I think he has a nice voice, but I also think he needs to think outside the box and challenge himself. He needs to show he's not a one trick pony. The judges love to see that. Hope he does better next week.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78;3394839;
    I didn't get Simon's comment about "clumsy and amateurish" at all. I think Danny did really good job with that song and was one of the best of the night. Too bad they had to rush the judges' comments so we didn't get an explanation what Simon meant. I've liked Danny since the beginning and I think he's the best singer in this competition this year, and I'm glad he's now picked good songs too two weeks in a row.
    Danny was not clumsy and amateruish and Simon knows it. Simon has done this every year with frontrunner contestants. He knocks them down a little at some point to make the show seem more like a contest. Danny is obviously headed for the Top 2 finals, and Simon knows nothing that he says is going to change that.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78;3394839;
    I didn't get Simon's comment about "clumsy and amateurish" at all.
    I did. But then again, those words come to my mind every time I'm subjected to his performances.

Well, "nefarious" also pops up in there too.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by RealVoyeur;3394037;
    I don't believe Smokey should be that insulted, I agree that is exactly what advice is for, it's a suggestion but ultimately it's up to the singer to decide for himself how he wants to perform.
    I agree, though I think I would have enjoyed the performance more if he had sung those parts rather than leaving them to the background singers. It sounded better to me during his session with Smokey, and as it turns out, I really didn't find his performance all that special or memorable. Very karaoke to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkOtterPop;3395152;
    I did. But then again, those words come to my mind every time I'm subjected to his performances.

Well, "nefarious" also pops up in there too.
    Nefarious? Do explain!!!
    Last edited by Blues Songstres; 03-27-2009 at 03:05 PM.

He shouldn't dance or move around too much during his performances. He's too awkward.

+ Reply to Thread