+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anoop Desai - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Anoop Desai - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410089;
    I apologize that I misunderstood you but I don't necessarily agree with your point of view either. Why does that style of music have to be associated with lower socio-economic culture? It's just a style of music and I think it's reading a bit too much into to. That's just my opinion of course.
    No problem.

I think we need a music sociologist to weigh in on this one, but from my uneducated perspective, music seems to evolve from, or is a response to, ones cultural surroundings. Latin music is different from African music. Rap music is different than country music, and so on. Music is different around the world.

Regarding Anoop + rap....maybe a more clear example is blues music which is a type of music born from slavery. Any middle- to upper-middle class person (white, black, blue or purple!) who has wealth and most importantly freedom will never sell me on a blues song the way someone who has been beaten down would. It just won't fly with me. And in a way, and in my very humble opinion, it is somewhat offensive that a person of privelage should even try.

Just my 2 cents.

And, don't get me wrong. I actually like Anoop, but I stand by original remarks that he should drop the rapper-wannabe persona.

Premium Member

So what kind of music do you suggest Anoop do-Pop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3410126;
    No problem.

Regarding Anoop + rap....maybe a more clear example is blues music which is a type of music born from slavery. Any middle- to upper-middle class person (white, black, blue or purple!) who has wealth and most importantly freedom will never sell me on a blues song the way someone who has been beaten down would. It just won't fly with me. And in a way, and in my very humble opinion, it is somewhat offensive that a person of privelage should even try.
    And then there is the exception that proves the rule. Bonnie Rait grew up in privileged circumstances but has become a powerful blues artist respected by the blues community. But again, she is very rare example....maybe the only example.

Regarding Anoop: There are plenty of middle class preppy kids (like my 16-year-old stepson) who adore rap and hip-hop, but they would never attempt to perform it seriously. I am mystified as to why Anoop would even think he could do this, unless it was a weird narcissism (or personality crisis ). At the very least, it means he doesn't have a clue what he should be singing. Not a good sign.
    --
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-10-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3410147;
    Regarding Anoop: There are plenty of middle class preppy kids (like my 16-year-old stepson) who adore rap and hip-hop, but they would never attempt to perform it seriously.
    That is so interesting, and I think very true. There is an important distinction between appreciation of music (which is open to all) and being the performer. Integrity is one of the criteria by which artists are judged. But everyone can come to understand and value the work of the artist. There are no requirements for appreciating art!

Lots of people who don't go to church love to hear good gospel music, for example. I'm not Indian but I love Bollywood music.
    Last edited by TopCatDC; 04-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.

I don't think the problem is so much Anoop's up bringing. It has more to do with he feels like he is play acting different parts. It doesn't "feel" like him. If he could do them and it didn't feel that way, it is fine. You can be preppy and be a hell of a blues artist if that is in your soul. Music should come from your soul, it has far more impact. You ever hear someone and the performance is flawless and your brain says that is technically good, but I don't like it?

I liked his True Colors. It didn't strike me as original, it sounded very similar to at least one of Cyndi Laupers versions. But he has a nice voice, seemed to connect with the song and did it well. I think they make too much of a point about being original. I don't think you have to be original, you have to "connect" with the song. If you connect with the song, all the rest falls in place.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Interesting discussion. I agree with most of the comments here, and especially that rapper style music doesn't "feel" like him. He comes across as being a nice, smart guy....not an edgy kind of singer. In fact, when he tries to pull off that edgy stuff it's just uncomfortable for me to watch. I liked Anoop in the beginning and even saw some of his performances from college. Someone help me out here -- he's in some sort of singing group at school. They're very good, but (I'm not making a slam here, just my honest opinion) it reminded me of a barbershop quartet with extra members. That's why I just can't see him progress.

I think the next 3 to go will be Lil, Anoop, and Matt. In that order.

When Anoop trys to sing edgier stuff, it just doesn't feel or look right. When he does ballads or slower songs, it just seems more natural. He is a fair to average singer tho, and he should go soon.

I don't know that it's necessarily wrong for someone like Anoop to attempt to do hip hop, rap, or anything else. The problem is that Anoop is not that strong of a singer and his take on songs is not at all distinctive. He looks like a college boy trying to act hip. If he brought an edge to the music, people would take him more seriously. He does not, though, and that's why people just see him as a preppy, priviledged type trying to do urban music.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3410529;
    Someone help me out here -- he's in some sort of singing group at school. They're very good, but (I'm not making a slam here, just my honest opinion) it reminded me of a barbershop quartet with extra members. That's why I just can't see him progress.

I think the next 3 to go will be Lil, Anoop, and Matt. In that order.
    He was in a men's singing group at Carolina (UNC-Chapel Hill) called the Clefhangers. I think I read that Anoop was like the lead Clefhanger. They may perform totally a capella, but I'm not sure about that part. It's a prestigious thing to be in at that school. My friend has seen the Clefhangers (and Anoop) perform, because her daughter goes to school there.

I also would like to see Lil go next, then Anoop -- but I can't decide whether I want Matt to go after that, or Kris. It depends on how they both do in the next two weeks!

If I was him, I would dig into my cultural background, add some Tabla percussion every now and then,
    take a song and turn it into a "Slumdog Millionaire Version".
    Anything to surprise the viewers.
    But no.
    He is either close to a comic impression of the act he recreates (upbeat song), or boring (slow song).

BTW, that might sound like a harsh critique,
    but American Idol is not about helping a friend or a good guy,
    it's about finding a star.

BTW2, all my critiques are about the "stage persona", not about the person.
    But, if you get up on any stage, you better be good, or you leave that stage.

+ Reply to Thread