Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anoop Desai - Season 8

Re: Anoop Desai - Season 8

He is on the Idol tour.

What more could he ask for?
    To put it in the words of Borat,
    "great success".

Anoop does seem like a genuinely nice guy. I've never thought he was good enough, but I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3409171;
    Oh, and he has to realize that he is not from the same culture as those who sing the music he likes, i.e. rap, hip-hop. THe sooner he realizes that he looks like a kid playing make-believe when he performs these songs, the better.
    So do you think that Eminem looks like he's playing make believe when he performs? I don't. Especially since he has a very successful career. You could say the same thing about Charlie Pride in the 70's (black cowboy?). I don't think race should make any difference what style of music suits a person best.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3409971;
    So do you think that Eminem looks like he's playing make believe when he performs? I don't. Especially since he has a very successful career. You could say the same thing about Charlie Pride in the 70's (black cowboy?). I don't think race should make any difference what style of music suits a person best.
    I don't think Jexter was referring to race. I think Jexter was referring to Anoop's financially comfortable and well-educated background, which doesn't quite match the background of a lot of rap/urban artists. On the other hand, Eminem grew up under rough circumstances, not so different from the artists he emulates.

Watching Anoop trying to do urban music was like watching a preppy kid doing rap karaoke for his fraternity mates.
    --
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-10-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3409977;
    I don't think Jexter was referring to race. I think Jexter was referring to Anoop's financially comfortable and well-educated background, which doesn't quite match the background of a lot of rap/urban artists.

Watching Anoop trying to do urban music was like watching a preppy kid doing rap karaoke for his fraternity mates.
    --
    Exactly.

The school district I work for buses kids around to redistribute them based on socioeconomic status, not race. People with families with similar economic and educational levels have a lot in common -- no matter what race.

And that's why Eminem doing rap/hip-hop rings true, and Anoop doing it does not.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3409971;
    I didn't say "race". I said "culture", and I said "culture" with Eminem in mind.

Eminem grew up in a tough urban environment. He's got credibility when he sings rap and hip-hop. Anoop does not.

This has nothing at all to do with race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3410052;
    I didn't say "race". I said "culture", and I said "culture" with Eminem in mind.

Eminem grew up in a tough urban environment. He's got credibility when he sings rap and hip-hop. Anoop does not.

This has nothing at all to do with race.
    I apologize that I misunderstood you but I don't necessarily agree with your point of view either. Why does that style of music have to be associated with lower socio-economic culture? It's just a style of music and I think it's reading a bit too much into to. That's just my opinion of course.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3408983;
    Anoop is losing ground with me. He seems to be getting worse as the competition wears on. I think he'll go soon.
    I think Anoop is doing better than Lil Rounds.

Originally Posted by graycat11
    Nadia wasn't a good singer.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3409181;
    hum, i thought she was great and different
    When I watch AI Rewind, she now seems very average.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3410089;
    Why does that style of music have to be associated with lower socio-economic culture? It's just a style of music and I think it's reading a bit too much into to. That's just my opinion of course.
    I certainly can't say "why", but the ties between music and culture are often very strong. I think it's very deeply programmed inside us to use music as a cue to recognize our "tribe". It reminds me of many immigrants to the US that just light up when they find someone who knows and plays the music of the homeland.

Some music has become so much a part of the fabric of a culture that the group simply does not see any difference between partaking of the music and owning the whole culture. Case in point: Christian and gospel music. Many church people would look with great suspicion at an album of CCM recorded by someone who publicly had no connection to Christian faith.

There is some music that you just have to own down to your soul in order to perform with integrity. And Hip-Hop is so much the music of the streets, that unless you have some 'hood cred, you are going to be laughed off the stage (and that would be the best case outcome!)

+ Reply to Thread