+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Allison Iraheta - Season 8

FORT Fan

Re: Allison Iraheta - Season 8

She is a cute kid with a great voice...not sure why people are not connecting with her...and I am not sure that I am really "connecting" with her??

It is hard to define "star power">>> does she have it?? Others have noted that today's music world is so fragmented with itunes and downloads....the music world has even changed since Idol started

Does Allison have the chops to make it today?? I don't know....hard to say...I enjoy her performances but even now I half forget her name (Allison, Ashley, Amber??? huh? who?)

I think I would enjoy hearing her belt out some Janis Joplin song tho??

FORT Fogey

AI has never really LOVED the female rocker....they have come and gone. So if she goes out within a week or two, that is pretty much the longevity of those in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3401280;
    AI has never really LOVED the female rocker....they have come and gone. So if she goes out within a week or two, that is pretty much the longevity of those in the past.
    Good point. Even Chris Daughtry (my favorite AI alum) came in 4th, so rock in general has not been the favorite genre until possibly David Cook last season. But female rockers are maybe even a harder-sell to America. I like her. I don't think she's the best on the show, but top 4 for me. I hope she doesn't go next week, but its not looking good.

FORT Fogey

If Allison did a Papa Was a Rolling Stone caliber performance every week, she would be challenging Adam, Danny and Kris for the top spot. And being the last female standing, she would not have a lot of competion for fans. But she just doesn't have the experience and taste level yet pick songs and arrangements that let her channel her talent. She should have waited a few years.

Last year's teenager, David A, came in with a lot more professional experience under his belt that helped him navigate from week to week and make smart song choices. People complained that he sang too many ballads. Fair enough, but he nailed them. It was a good strategy and he almost walked off with the title.

Allison, on the other hand is picking songs that she thinks would be fun to sing. Which is just what a 16 year old would do - but it's giving her a very uneven competition.

I usually like the rockers, but I'm not overly impressed with her. Didn't like what she did with Gwen Stefani at all. She needs to get that softer, vulnerable side into her lyrics. And the hair is just a major distraction.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I wasn't impressed with her Tuesday, either. I agree with Simon, she shouted the chorus. The outfit was awful but heck, she's 16...let her dress crazy. The hair doesn't really bug me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by estygal4;3401273;
    She is a cute kid with a great voice...not sure why people are not connecting with her...and I am not sure that I am really "connecting" with her??

It is hard to define "star power">>> does she have it?? Others have noted that today's music world is so fragmented with itunes and downloads....the music world has even changed since Idol started

Does Allison have the chops to make it today?? I don't know....hard to say...I enjoy her performances but even now I half forget her name (Allison, Ashley, Amber??? huh? who?)

I think I would enjoy hearing her belt out some Janis Joplin song tho??
    I wasn't connecting with her AT ALL until 2 weeks ago. I've liked her a great deal the last two weeks. For me, it took a song I liked and for her to show a bit of personality.

I downloaded Don't Speak from Itunes. It is a longer version of it and she sounds much better on the download than she did on the show.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

With a vocal coach and stylist, this girl could go a long way. She's got the pipes. Her outfit didn't really bug me, she's a kid. If she dressed older, Simon would ream her for not being "young and fun". Anyways, it's a singing competition, and the judges are supposed to be giving constructive advice regarding that. Almost all of their comments were about her appearance. That's something that can be fixed later.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I thought she was pretty good with "Don't Speak". She obviously has a different type of voice than Gwen Stefani, but I found the difference to be interesting and enjoyable. I think sometimes we get locked into how a song is "supposed" to be, forgetting that another artist might interpret it differently and that doesn't make it wrong - just different. (I'm speaking in generalities, and not pointing at any one person on this board.)

I will say that if an artist is going to release a remake of song, it should be different enough from the original to make it interesting, and hopefully at least as good as the original. (Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears shouldn't be allowed to remake anything.) In a competition like this I don't think we can expect master reworking of a song in less than a week, but I don't mind them changing things up to fit their style and/or voice.

All my rambling aside, I like Allison and am disappointed that she is once again in the bottom 3. I'm finding that too many of these contestants are blending together for me, and Allison is one of few that stand out from the crowd. I only wish she were getting more support.

+ Reply to Thread