+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 195 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143193 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3444026;
    That's why I think Adam's first album will be straight pop with only a little glam thrown in. Kris is kinda in the same position. He's doing well with the folkier stuff onstage, even though folk is not the most popular genre now (I wish it were). Kris too will make a contemporary pop CD, with some folkish stuff thrown in.
    --
    Honestly, that's one of the main reasons I've never bought an Idol CD no matter how much I liked them on the show. Once they put the record out, it's hard to recognize the person you liked.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

Adam should definitely win the show. His forte will be concerts. He's a performance artist. IMO, Allison would have been the most marketable. They will have to be careful how they market Adam, but the stage will be his playground. That's where the big bucks are made, and that is where he will really shine.

FORT Fogey

Did anyone, including Adam, say that Adam aspires to be a Rock star? Yes, the Jersey boys still rock out, and they've lived it forevah, but so? Not reaching the level of a Springsteen or Bon Jovi might become true (or not!) for Adam, but is most decidedly true for the vast majority of musicians already making records. Yet they abide.

I don't understand this "Who ARE they, REALLY?" criterion. WTH was John Lennon when he was at home? Elvis won his Grammys for GOSPEL.

Danny is CCM, and nothing more. His post-AI CD will be cloyingly "inspirational", gosh darn it.
    Kris is Mr. Mellow Pop. His post-AI CD will be, as we used to say, MOR.
    Adam is an interpreter. That his strength---the ability to sing any Pop/Rock genre, any tempo---should be perceived as a weakness in "recording identity" boggles my feeble brain. But if the judges prefer either of his competitors, tonight is when Kara will say, "But who ARE you?! Besides sleazy and confusing?"

There was a radio interview with Adam in San Diego in which he said he thinks there's room out there to make a CD that is an amalgam of genre-bridging elements. Adam is not specifically rock, nor is he pop but I think a fusion of the two with a bit of electronica thrown in, yes he can do that. Amid a sea of boiler plate, formula rockers who've all been imitating Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain for a decade and a half now never getting anywhere near their quality, and in an environment in which paper thin lipsynching pop mediocrity can still sell out arenas - Britney, Miley Cyrus, Kanye etc. - well, I highly doubt Adam will have trouble finding a spot with the music buying public to to call his own.

Now if he would only just cover Nine Inch Nails and something from The Who...
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3445374;
    Did anyone, including Adam, say that Adam aspires to be a Rock star? Yes, the Jersey boys still rock out, and they've lived it forevah, but so? Not reaching the level of a Springsteen or Bon Jovi might become true (or not!) for Adam, but is most decidedly true for the vast majority of musicians already making records. Yet they abide.

I don't understand this "Who ARE they, REALLY?" criterion. WTH was John Lennon when he was at home? Elvis won his Grammys for GOSPEL.

Danny is CCM, and nothing more. His post-AI CD will be cloyingly "inspirational", gosh darn it.
    Kris is Mr. Mellow Pop. His post-AI CD will be, as we used to say, MOR.
    Adam is an interpreter. That his strength---the ability to sing any Pop/Rock genre, any tempo---should be perceived as a weakness in "recording identity" boggles my feeble brain. But if the judges prefer either of his competitors, tonight is when Kara will say, "But who ARE you?! Besides sleazy and confusing?"

I agree with those who've said that Adam has his own style which can't be widdled into a single genre. But I'm not sure that the defense of comparing him to the lack of genre for someone like John Lennon or Elvis helps Adam, because in their cases, the work extending beyond a single genre happend AFTER becoming HUGE stars -- not in the rise to that. Once an artist achieves a certain level of success, there is more room for experimenting. That experimenting does not necessarily equate to huge album sales (see Garth Brooks in his Chris Gaines phase) but your name and reputation weathers the lack of album sales. I think that someone like Adam has to produce those album sales figures BEFORE he can be granted such flexibility.

That to me is the mystery of Adam post-Idol. I think a great deal of his appea on the show has been his ability to morph from one genre to another with such ease. But I'm not sure that any record company is going to let him produce material like that, because I don't think it would sell. As talented as Adam is, and as much appeal and excitement as he generates, I think there's still a BIG question mark as to how to translate that into album sales.

So for these reasons, I think that while Adam at this point will win AI, he'd be better off to come in 3rd or 2nd place, where he'd have the freedom to do things his way, and go the performer route rather than the recording route.

FORT Fogey

But, Veruka, neither Clay nor David A. (among other non-victors, I'm sure) had any such "freedom to do things his way...." American Idol/19E owns the runner-ups, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3445527;
    But, Veruka, neither Clay nor David A. (among other non-victors, I'm sure) had any such "freedom to do things his way...." American Idol/19E owns the runner-ups, too.
    Don't they have rights of "first refusal" for the top 5 or so, maybe even more? So once somebody makes the top 5, that's the point of no return and they might as well shoot for the win to get better promotion and the AI winner label. Not that I think, street cred wise, it's quite a good thing to win AI in the long term. Daughtry is probably the best example of somebody who is better off without being the winner; this way he still retains a modicum of rock cred. Adam seems to want to win this show, cheesy title and all, and in his case, it will actually be a good thing. It... fits somehow, weirdly, like everything Adam does.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I recall hearing somewhere that they have the option for anyone in the top 10. I think it happened after Daughtry was sent packing in the final 4 they wantedto cover their butts.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3445467;
    That to me is the mystery of Adam post-Idol. I think a great deal of his appea on the show has been his ability to morph from one genre to another with such ease. But I'm not sure that any record company is going to let him produce material like that, because I don't think it would sell. As talented as Adam is, and as much appeal and excitement as he generates, I think there's still a BIG question mark as to how to translate that into album sales.

Since Adam is adept at the so many genres, I predict he will choose the most popular genre (contemporary pop) in which to record his first album. I think he'll experiment more with later albums. He has a terrific pop-singing ability. His renditons of "Mad World" and "Tracks of My Tears" are brilliant examples.

The same will be true of Danny. His experience is with Christian music, but he's made it to the Top 3 of the biggest talent contest in the world by singing pop. He and Kris will go for the pop market as well. Regardless who wins the show, all three will get recording contracts.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;3445548;
    I recall hearing somewhere that they have the option for anyone in the top 10. I think it happened after Daughtry was sent packing in the final 4 they wantedto cover their butts.
    I read a copy of the Idol contract with contestants when it was posted at the FORT several years ago, and it said that the producers had right of first refusal to record anyone from the Top 10.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

+ Reply to Thread